TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

One of the captions says its a model of Viper, but it is truly a model of Ninja.

Man, I really hope this can make a return to the park, it still seems like no one really knew about it though.

Yes, I bet he was referring to the model of GASM right under Ninja's, confusing it with Viper. Just a possibility.

And who knows, this maybe isn't true at all, but as I said, it seems like a pretty reliable source (but then again, what do I know about that lol )

Perhaps in order to put down new carpeting (which is needed now and then), they needed to remove the large items and display cases. That would be my guess.

I may be at SFMM on Sunday, so if I see Brandon (which I do occasionally), I'll ask.

But if this is true, then it is really a big step backwards. I know that people enjoy seeing the old TV commercials and looking at the various maps, models, and concept art. In fact, the last time I was there, I got into a conversation with a lady about the park's history and she mentioned that her daughter had chosen to do a report about the park and its history. We exchanged e-mail addresses and I've been sending her info about it to help her out.

Eric

Perhaps in order to put down new carpeting (which is needed now and then), they needed to remove the large items and display cases. That would be my guess.

I may be at SFMM on Sunday, so if I see Brandon (which I do occasionally), I'll ask.

But if this is true, then it is really a big step backwards. I know that people enjoy seeing the old TV commercials and looking at the various maps, models, and concept art. In fact, the last time I was there, I got into a conversation with a lady about the park's history and she mentioned that her daughter had chosen to do a report about the park and its history. We exchanged e-mail addresses and I've been sending her info about it to help her out.

Eric

Didn't they recarpet it when the tower reopened with Tatsu in '06? Would it already need it again now? I'll try and search for the post in the SFMM TPR Archives.

[Edit]: Found it, 12th picture down. New paint and new carpets: http://www.themeparkreview.com/skytower/skytower1.htm I can't believe I just spent 5 minutes searching for that lol, but at least its (somewhat) helpful.

^ From what I remember, it doesn't look like they put heavy duty carpeting in. So carpeting that's five years old and seen that much foot traffic may be in for replacement. They could also be painting, or maybe doing both.

Keep in mind, this is only a guess...

Eric

^ From what I remember, it doesn't look like they put heavy duty carpeting in. So carpeting that's five years old and seen that much foot traffic may be in for replacement. They could also be painting, or maybe doing both.

Keep in mind, this is only a guess...

Eric

I'll give SFMM the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'm sure it will return because how costly is it to actually leave the stuff up there? A minute, immeasurably small amount of electricity for the TV's, and you can't possibly forget the Swiffer dusters and vacuum cleaner to keep it tidy... That's the only reason I can think of that they would take it down.

Not sure if anyone else as noticed this, but the website is now naming the new coaster Green Lantern: First Flight.

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/rides/GreenLanternLA.aspx

Oh lord, not another name alteration!

Not to worry, the muesum is fine. Many different displays have come and gone since the museum opened. It just so happens that this is a more visible "between displays" period.

Not sure if anyone else as noticed this, but the website is now naming the new coaster Green Lantern: First Flight.

Part of the website is calling it that. The main ad for the new ride on the home site still just calls it Green Lantern.

I also clicked on the '30 Family Friendly Rides' link to see how they were claiming that as I did thorough research for my last KidTums' Korner article and it was no where close to that. Clicking led me to a page with 16 rides. Giving the benefit of the doubt I then also clicked on Kids Rides, but that only resulted in nine more. Then I noticed this gem "Six Flags Magic Mountain has more family friendly rides than any other theme park in Southern California!" What's that SNL skit again...REALLY!?!?

Part of the website is calling it that. The main ad for the new ride on the home site still just calls it Green Lantern.

I also clicked on the '30 Family Friendly Rides' link to see how they were claiming that as I did thorough research for my last KidTums' Korner article and it was no where close to that. Clicking led me to a page with 16 rides. Giving the benefit of the doubt I then also clicked on Kids Rides, but that only resulted in nine more. Then I noticed this gem "Six Flags Magic Mountain has more family friendly rides than any other theme park in Southern California!" What's that SNL skit again...REALLY!?!?

As far as I know, nearly all the rides at Legoland are kid friendly, and that's like 40 rides!

^There's also this little park you may have heard of called Disney.

This is actually funny because last few times i've been to the parks, there were camps for 6 year olds and they were going on Goliath, and colossus, and all the rides they were tall enough to ride! There not kid - friendly rides, but some kids sure do enjoy them... for what they CAN ride at least.

One thing I've worried about regarding the "museum pieces" is any vandalism. I can see people carving their initials into the various coaster parts and such. Whether that's happened, I can't say. I sure hope not for the sake of some of that stuff.

As for ride names, I don't know what's wrong with a simple name. "Green Lantern." Good enough for me.

Eric

As for ride names, I don't know what's wrong with a simple name. "Green Lantern." Good enough for me.

It'll just be one of those names like:

Batman: The Ride

Superman: Ultimate Flight

V2: Vertical Velocity

Technically those are their names, but everyone just says Batman, Superman, and V2, and Im sure everyone will just say; Green Lantern.

^There's also this little park you may have heard of called Disney.

This is actually funny because last few times i've been to the parks, there were camps for 6 year olds and they were going on Goliath, and colossus, and all the rides they were tall enough to ride! There not kid - friendly rides, but some kids sure do enjoy them... for what they CAN ride at least.

The number of 6-7 year olds that are A) Tall Enough B) Brave Enough to ride most 48" rides is less than the kids who aren't tall/brave enough. So to call any of those rides "Family" or "Kid-Friendly" is wholly inaccurate.

I would certainly call Ninja or Gold Rusher family friendly rides, but the height requirements on those rides (especially for Gold Rusher) should remove them from that list. I suppose you could count Log Jammer/Jet Stream since they really are 2 of the very few rides that an entire family can (comfortably) ride together.

When you think about Disneyland there are really only 7 rides in the entire park that have a height requirement (Space/Big Thunder/Splash Mtn, Indy, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Gadgets Go Coaster). The rest of the rides in the park do not have a height requirement.

So for SFMM to say they have the most family friendly rides in SoCal is calling for some gross exaggeration on their part.