TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Then again, Deja Vu is low capacity as well.

Hmmm...very true. But I have a feeling Deja Vu will still take the edge for overall ride experience in my book.

If there is any wish for SFMM, it would be for management to crack down on slow ride ops. Of course it's not going to happen, but what a positive effect it would have. And it wouldn't cost them much, if anything.

Eric

The issues surrounding the ride operators and management are complicated, and the issues we see has to do with the relationship between them.

First, the ride operators need to feel a sense of motivation to operate the rides efficiently, which is something they don't have right now because it doesn't matter if they send out 20 trains or 40 trains in an hour, they're still getting paid the same and they're still going to keep their job. Ride operators see each other all day long and most prefer to get along rather than fight, so instead of telling a fellow ride operator to pick up the pace and move fast, nothing is said when a fellow employee is slacking off. This perpetuates an attitude of "if he's slacking off and I don't get on his ass about it, then I can slack off too," and the result is a whole bunch of employees with no motivation to push each other.

Second, management needs to feel an obligation to keep ride ops operating efficiently without worrying about the residual effects of "cracking down on slackers" or "firing employees with no sense of urgency." The way the park works now, management and ride ops are "friends" and don't want to ruin that relationship by stressing one another to get the job done quicker. Many of these managers have been ride ops for many years and know the people below them. They were lazy when they were ops, why would they start forcing ops to work faster now?

Last, and this is the sad part: I have seen a perfectly new motivated model employee turn to mush in days by a long term ride op firsthand, because of the ripple effect attitude of "don't work too hard its not worth it" "this job sucks" and "the only reason we have to move is because guests keep getting in line." It really is a cancerous attitude that is way too deep to counteract with traditional motivation methods or rewards (which I assure you the park has spent time and money to try and fix these issues in the past. I have been to the classes/meetings in person).

The only solution I've come to think of is a flush-out of all current management in ride operations. A new leader with authority to lay down rules and stick to them is essential, and managers beneath him that are willing to tell an employee to go home when they look miserable or are moving inefficiently slow. This is how Disney does it -- if you don't want to do your job well and with a smile, you'll get sent home because there are plenty of people that will. When people are afraid of under-performing because they will lose pay as a result, you'd be amazed how it lights a fire under their ass.

I apologize for the lengthy post but I just wanted to give a 1st person perspective of the issues regarding bad operations at the park. It really is a terrible situation that has grown larger due to long term mismanagement and little accountability. I don't think the issue will ever be fixed, and my hope is perhaps management will read this and understand how both guests and a minority of hard-working employees feel about the lackluster operations at the park.

^ I think that means you have to be under 54" to ride. Yesterday was an awesome day, even thugh it rained here and there. Superman looks really good, I couldn't get over looking at it! I also thought I saw the old Superman trains sitting under X2's fire part. They were covered by a tarp but I could see the Supermnan S on the wheel, at least that's what it looked like.

*EDIT: ^^ Darn, beat me to it

I'm planning on heading over to the mountain on Saturday. Is that a good day? I want to ride every open coaster and get some re-rides before closing time (10:30-6:00) Should this day be pretty dead in terms of crowds?

EDIT- Um, my bad. Looks like it's going to be raining this whole week and into next week as well. Well maybe it wont be that bad.

EDIT-- Wait. Re-checked weather looks like its going to be raining for over a week where I live but only going to be cold air at the Mountain. Yay.

It's been windy (or at least where I am). If those Santa Ana's continue through the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see shutdowns of rides. I don't know how its like up at SFMM though since I'm over an hour out.

That's so sad if it's true. This was a great idea of Brandon's.

I stumbled across this site while searching for TPR in Google. After looking over the site, it looks like the person that runs it visits very consistently. Accurate and consistent updates that he's done (even if the site has only been up for a short time) leads me to think that the Sky Tower Museum really is no more. That's really sad considering the tower isn't much without the museum.

[Edit]: Or they are just remodeling it, but didn't they just put in new carpet and paint the inside when Jay Thomas worked on reopening it?

Edited by JJ728