TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I've often gone to a park on Super Bowl Sunday---less crowd, and I can't stand football anyway, so I'm not going to watch the game.

But in recent years, I'm seeing more and more people at parks that day. Technology has allowed us to bring the game with us wherever we go.

Eric

Anyone planning to hit the Mountain on Superbowl Sunday, or am I the only loser?

I'm not expecting it to be a ghost town or anything, but I'm guessing crowds will be lighter than usual. I'm craving Tatsu and Apocalypse for some reason.

I went last year on Superbowl Sunday... crowds were VERY light - it was great!

As a matter of fact, that sounds like a good idea this year!

I am heading up to SFMM Sunday to get my season pass processed. Hopefully the lines won't be too bad. About X2's lines, what I noticed was from around from 2:00 to about 4:30 in the afternoon there has hardly any line at all, most of the time it's only about a 15-25 minute wait.

Exactly. It's kind of amazing how much the line tapers off in that time frame, almost like people forget about it. I think by that time most people have either (A) got their X2 ride in (B) Assumed the line's still too long to get a ride in © Are on the opposite side of the park or (D) plan on hitting it on the way out. Of course it's still X2, so the line usually doesn't just vanish, but compared to earlier in the day it's almost always much much better.

Went twice this past weekend with my fiance. Saturday was awful. After waiting over 2 hours for X2 it broke. We were about right before the turnstyle. Sucks!...My fiance noticed ad I was surprised that she could tell how slow everything was going.

...Went again Sunday and no one was at the park. We rode X2 within 3 minutes and after we got on the front we were able to run back to get right back on.

Still after all this time its unfortunate to hear of the long/slow lines for X2. I have a question, did it seem like the crew wasn't working as fast as they could? Were they stacking? Or were there so many people in line it just took time to get through all of them?

Really wish when they updated the ride they would have found a more efficient way to load/unload those trains. Because even sometimes when you walk right up to the station, you end up waiting 20 minutes just to get on. Really depends on the mood of the ride operators. Sad to say, but I usually just skip X2 now because I don't want to stand in that slow line, and I can't stand when they employees are dragging their feet or stacking trains.

"Technology is what allows me to go to the parks AND keep up with the Laker games" (DJeXeL)

Actually, that's unfortunate it's really annoying to have to listen to people in line cheering for their team and talking about the game. Some of us go to parks to escape the whole sports scene.

It's that same mentality that has stopped me from going to the movies. People just can't stop yakking and texting and calling for a mere two hours to enjoy something. The whole concept of multi-tasking at work has crept into our social lives as well. We can't focus on and enjoy one thing to its fullest.

Eric

"Technology is what allows me to go to the parks AND keep up with the Laker games" (DJeXeL)

Actually, that's unfortunate it's really annoying to have to listen to people in line cheering for their team and talking about the game. Some of us go to parks to escape the whole sports scene.

It's that same mentality that has stopped me from going to the movies. People just can't stop yakking and texting and calling for a mere two hours to enjoy something. The whole concept of multi-tasking at work has crept into our social lives as well. We can't focus on and enjoy one thing to its fullest.

Eric

Yeah I'm guilty as charged, though I realized it a while ago and have gotten better. I can't have my phone with me at work (in a call center for a cell phone company... ) so I go all day without it M-F, but I know I'm on it too much when I'm out on the weekends. I did manage to go all day Sunday without it, had a three and a half hour softball practice and then went to Legoland and I left it in the car. I think I'm going to start swapping from my Samsung Vibrant to a cheap candy bar phone with no internet on it at parks from now on anyway. Just to receive (or gasp; make) emergency calls. Two birds one stone, not distracted and I dont have to worry about losing it and or water/physical damage. If it gets lost I just get a new sim card to slap in my pretty Vibrant if need be.

Eric

Took me a minute to figure out you were quoting someone on this thread. Thought you were using italics to make a point or something.

Anyway, you go to parks to have fun and it is a social thing. Talk, have fun, talk with friends, even if that includes sports. People aren't going to go to a park and just be silent and wait in line. That's why it's a fun experience. Guess if I was annoyed with people in line, I'd just get a Q-Bot.

^ In my experience, the X2 gets more trains out faster than Tatsu and Ridder's Revenge.

Eric

They have that clock thing on the wall now, which starts at 1 minute and 30 seconds. They were just barely making that time frame when I was there on Sunday. Tatsu was dispatching maybe and 2 to 3 minute intervals and Riddler's Revenge was about the same.

Haha sorry

You're correct, Riddler is among the top B&Ms, complete with great pacing and a nice array of elements. Only thing holding it back is the inefficient crew running it.

What I think is hilarious is when people adjust the seats so they are sitting down on them. It annoys the hell out of me. It's a stand up coaster guys! What does that mean?!? But of course, it is the GP, so you know how it goes...

Or the people that raise the seats up and down thinking the operators are joking when they say "seats locking."

Once seats are locked, the fun and games are over for all males and that smirk is wiped clean off their face. They usually come back to the station looking like

Only thing holding it back is the inefficient crew running it.

One train's in rehab, the other is probably getting ready for some runs on Chang/Green Lantern. I highly doubt the crew could do much to keep the line moving quickly.

Unless of course they start doing this, in between the loading and unloading of the train:

^ I would love to ride like that. But I bet it's pretty rough.

"Took me a minute to figure out you were quoting someone on this thread. Thought you were using italics to make a point or something." (krazekiddd)

That's how I quote because I can't stand that big, clunky quote box.

Regarding Riddler's Revenge, I've often seen the ops have to unlock and relock the seats after people have been bouncing on them while waiting and then locked in the wrong position. If people would wise up and not bounce, I wonder how much faster they could get the trains through---and maybe even run all three with minimal stacking.

Eric