TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Wow, what a terrible video. It looks like the park snuck a camera on to their own ride and produced some fanboy shakey cam side-ways wobbly illegal video! Don't they know their own loose article rules!

Seriously, it's great that they posted a video for everyone to see, but the quality of that video is total suck.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Another video was just posted on SFMM Facebook page with a POV!!!!

Wow, that's awesome to see what the ride does, but man, from a technical standpoint, what a terrible video. It looks like the park snuck a camera on to their own ride and produced some fanboy shakey cam side-ways wobbly illegal video! Don't they know their own loose article rules! I mean, I could mount a Go Pro video camera to that ride in 30 seconds. No excuse for a big park like that to produce something that looks like your typical YouTube teenager whipped out their camera as soon as the train got past the ride op.

Seriously, it's great that they posted a video for everyone to see, I'm actually totally impressed, happy to see it, and give the park a ton of credit for doing it. From a social media standpoint, the release of that video is total win, but from a technical standpoint, that video is total suck.

--Robb

EDIT: Here is what a good POV of their ride looks like....just so they know!

Edited by robbalvey

Robb,

Seeing that you do video work for Intamin, they should hire you to help do their commercial footage. I'm sure they're in the process of making a commercial in time for spring break promotions.

Yeah, Intamin seemed pretty happy with the footage we shot for them that was playing on big screens at their IAAPA booth this year!

Like I said, I'm actually REALLY impressed that the park released that footage. Seriously, I am. Just wish it looked better.

Edited by robbalvey

^^^Must have been a good feeling to see your work helping to sell multi-million dollar machines.

In all seriousness, I'm grateful they posted the video as well, as they could have easily kept us in suspense until March.

Here is the Apocalypse Pre-Show video I shot yesterday.

In the 3rd room, it sounds like they cut out the audio on the "Shoot your family" part or at the very least they held us in the 2nd room until that part was done. If you go to about the 2:25 mark you will see that by the time we get into the 3rd room, that part is long over. The video I took is about a minute shorter than Robb's as well.

What do you figure the real impact on "insider" footage of the ride testing really is? Does it impact enough people that they really need to worry about how it looks etc?

For me, the video was fine and cool. I don't need super HD, ultra stable, perfectly framed footage ... but, apparently, some here think everyone does? I just don't get the stabs at whomever took/posted the footage to the Six Flags website/Facebook. I think it served it's purpose, and the amount of people that might care about the quality of it is pretty small. I get that part of the argument is that it'd be "so easy" just to call the self-glossed Zen Master of rollercoaster footage, and have him wander over, but I think the vast majority of people wouldn't really care either way.

WIll be interesting to see what they do to dress up the vehicle. The track looks great, so I imagine they'll do an equally good job on the ride's vehicle. I will also be interested to see what the Forward line looks like in comparison to the Backwards like (say, in a year).

Are any parts on site for the new ZacSpin yet?

For me, the video was fine and cool. I don't need super HD, ultra stable, perfectly framed footage ... but, apparently, some here think everyone does?

That's why I specifically called out "from a technical standpoint...."

I agree that the video does what it is supposed to do...give us a "sneak peak" at what the ride looks like. When you're someone that shoots roller coaster footage professionally, you're allowed to have a 'technical' opinion on something.

--Robb

^ I have shot footage for Six Flags Over Georgia, but not Magic Mountain. I could easily go down there and shoot POVs of their coasters in no time. We don't require giant camera rigs to be set up, and our footage is some of the best you'll find anywhere (can you tell I'm damn proud of our work?). I always tell them that I'm available, and would be happy to do it for them. Maybe one of these days I'll get the call....

Funny, I've shot video for Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios Hollywood, Belmont Park, California's Great America, and Gilroy Gardens. Got almost every California park working with us...except the one that's 1 1/2 miles down the street from me!

--Robb

Case and Point: The FX in the Riddler's station have been down forever and they just have the regular lights on. The laser setups are still on and the mirrors are still moving, but no lasers. I asked one of the ops what was up with it and he said all the lasers are burnt out and MM doesn't want to fix it. I don't know if he was just BSing me so I'd stfu but either way, its lame that they are down.

Really? They should be on at night, and the regular lights used to be on in the stairwell and the where the train loads, but in the blob of people in the line, there should be the mirror lighty things flashing question marks on the walls. That's pretty lame! You walk into the Riddler's lab/lair/house/humble abode/crash pad, and all you have is some signage and thumping techno music. I'll be disappointed if little things like this (that as you said, make a HUGE difference in park experience) aren't fixed before the crowds come back (ie spring break). At least the summer season! RR is my favorite ride there! (Hence my avatar)...

Case and Point: The FX in the Riddler's station have been down forever and they just have the regular lights on. The laser setups are still on and the mirrors are still moving, but no lasers. I asked one of the ops what was up with it and he said all the lasers are burnt out and MM doesn't want to fix it. I don't know if he was just BSing me so I'd stfu but either way, its lame that they are down.

Really? They should be on at night, and the regular lights used to be on in the stairwell and the where the train loads, but in the blob of people in the line, there should be the mirror lighty things flashing question marks on the walls. That's pretty lame! You walk into the Riddler's lab/lair/house/humble abode/crash pad, and all you have is some signage and thumping techno music. I'll be disappointed if little things like this (that as you said, make a HUGE difference in park experience) aren't fixed before the crowds come back (ie spring break). At least the summer season! RR is my favorite ride there! (Hence my avatar)...

Yea see I feel so left out when I hear about how certain rides USED to be! Its like, if you dont ride it when it FIRST opens then chances are you wont see it again in its full glory next year!! I dont even realize why parks buy coasters with themes!! I mean think of how much money would be saved if they just bought them bare?! Of course it woulnt be a theme park anymore but I mean even now it still doesnt seem that way with all the things that dont work!!

Yea see I feel so left out when I hear about how certain rides USED to be! Its like, if you dont ride it when it FIRST opens then chances are you wont see it again in its full glory next year!! I dont even realize why parks buy coasters with themes!! I mean think of how much money would be saved if they just bought them bare?! Of course it woulnt be a theme park anymore but I mean even now it still doesnt seem that way with all the things that dont work!!

Just look at Scream! That thing doesn't have any theme, and that's one big reason why people don't appreciate it. Theming is all a part of the business. And by the way, Riddler's lights working wasn't just a "when it opened" kind of thing. Those babies were working just fine last season.

I was just wondering, did anyone notice that with people on it in the POV that the front of the car barely passed the red on the tower.

Again, it's still "testing" - we have no idea what speed it was launched at, or if the video was 100% representative of the final product. Either wait until we have some clarification from the park, or wait until opening day.

--Robb

I was just wondering, did anyone notice that with people on it in the POV that the front of the car barely passed the red on the tower.

Again, it's still "testing" - we have no idea what speed it was launched at, or if the video was 100% representative of the final product. Either wait until we have some clarification from the park, or wait until opening day.

--Robb

Thanks Robb, I just thought that I would just point that out, I realize it's still testing also.

^ I would expect that it would get up to where you saw it on that video on a "good day". I would NOT expect to see it get as OMFG close to the top brakes as it did on some of those other testing videos. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they would want to launch it THAT CLOSE to the E-Brakes on a regular basis.

^Exactly. I highly doubt that thing will be able to run at 100mph in July and August with the heat Valencia is known for. Those stators will trip their thermal protection circuit in no time. (Let alone power consumption problems that will arise)

Unless the park installed some sort of cooling system we aren't aware of................

Guess we will have to wait until it's been open for at least 6 months to find out if it can withstand constant operation at 100mph.

I am however, excited to "get the credit"

^ Same. I mean, let's be honest here, the ride *looks* the best it has in 15 years! I'm not really that concerned about how many feet it makes it into the red zone. We're talking the difference of probably about 10 or so feet. That's not going to make or break the ride. Just be excited that an old ride that hasn't gotten any real attention over the past 10 years got some love.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

If the park invested in a "California Screamin' type" cooling system for the stators then maybe....just maybe I could see it running like a champ. Then again, there's the still the underlying problem of excessive power consumption.