TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here... but when Tower of Terror II launched in Australia, during the test runs it was reaching similar heights as Superman is now. However in normal operation it runs much the same height as it used to (around halfway)

I have heard a rumor from several reliable sources I have within Dreamworld, but please only take it as a rumor... Tower of Terror II was the Prototype for the relaunch and still uses the old PC's from the original ride (that IS confirmed) but has had a few minor tweaks to the launch to make it a smoother launch instead of it being a jerky launch with 2 bursts of speed.

I have heard that Superman at MM is getting a whole new computer system and is having much more time to test considering it's just over 2 months until Launch. Tower of Terror was still open in it's original form 1 month before it was re-opened. I was told that after Magic Mountain's ride has opened and the new System was in place that it would be implemented on it's Australian brother later on. It may or may not be true... but to be honest it doesn't sound like it's an unreasonable idea.

Just got around to watching the test run. I am impressed! When I went to SFMM and rode Superman, it only made it up a little over halfway up the tower...somewhere between 1/2 way up and 3/4 of the way up. Now it looks pretty close to the bumpers/brakes up at the top. I really need to get back to SFMM again and check out the many additions since my last and only visit in 2000.

Still as loud as I remember...so I'm sure if I were walking underneath the ride, I would probably be plugging my ears...that thing sounds like a fighter jet!

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I see the prices are posted for WCB. The Mountain must really be putting it to Robb this year! $53. without a shirt. I guess 6 Flags is really trying to cash in on this one. All I can say is Coastermania at Cedar Point has always been free if you have a season pass. They haven't posted pricing yet for 2011 only the dates. I still love the Mountain, but they're starting rape us enthusiasts.

I actually approached the park about this too. The response was:

We realize the Season Pass price will be a question, but the reality of the matter is the value on the day far exceeds the $53 ticket price. Your members can expect some surprises that will appear throughout the day. We are working on surprise opportunities and we have a history of delivering.

They are confident that if you pony up the cash, they will deliver a top notch event!

If Jay Thomas was still there and in charge, I'd believe that statement. With this new regime in place, I'm skeptical.

Why? How much time has the new band been together to make you feel strongly one way or the other?

OHHHHH CAN'T WAIT!!! I knew it was going backwards for a long time well before everybody kept guessing what they were doing to Superman. I knew because of Screamscape. But dang Superman is SO LOUD! Too bad they couldn't have toned down it's noise. I sure need to go again. Not sure when I'll get to. Haven't been since July 08. I miss all of SFMM coasters. Especially X2 & Tatsu which I've only been on 1 time each. Haven't even been on Terminator.

Edited by greatamerica1990sfan

We realize the Season Pass price will be a question, but the reality of the matter is the value on the day far exceeds the $53 ticket price. Your members can expect some surprises that will appear throughout the day. We are working on surprise opportunities and we have a history of delivering.

They are confident that if you pony up the cash, they will deliver a top notch event!

If Jay Thomas was still there and in charge, I'd believe that statement. With this new regime in place, I'm skeptical.

Why? How much time has the new band been together to make you feel strongly one way or the other?

Jay left this past fall I think. You could always see him anywhere in the park on any day smiling, laughing and speaking with his customers. The park has changed significantly since then and not for the better. I've been at the past several WCB's and the ERT included all rides! That's a tremendous commitment to us if nothing else in staffing costs. I've been to the park this year 3 times and tomorrow will make 4. Things are not equal to or better than last season.

I still think $53 is a VERY reasonable price for an ENTIRE day's worth. The price is definitely not going to keep me away from this one, although I won't be putting in the extra money for shirts (they're awesome TPR ones, but do I really need them? Something inside tells me I do though ).

Even though the cost may be up this year, the one thing you can count on is the Alveys putting on a 'quality' event.

They have an excellent track record with previous events, and I'm sure this one will exceed expectations.(The Alveys always have a surprise or two involved that you weren't expecting)

Between the food and ERT, it's going to be money well spent. I can't imagine that anyone who attends this years Bash would be disappointed. Robb and Elissa are dedicated to what they do, and we all benefit from it. If it wasn't for these two crazy coaster/theme park nut cases, we would never have access to awesome events like this! They continue to provide a otherwise unavailable service at a amazing price.

So with the testing I didn't see the side arm-blockers like on ToT2 in Australia does anyone think if these are the final versions of the restraint?

Cookie "Btw WCB=T-shirt time" Iorio

Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think S:EFK will need them because the station's tunnel it launches out of is really wide, and they didn't need them before the change. TOT2 needed them because they added that tunnel, and when entering the tunnel after the drop, people could stick there arms to the side and get hurt. S:EFK should be fine without them.

Also, are there any pictures of the train, close up?

Things are not equal to or better than last season.

Of what I've seen so far, I agree. But I still think they well put on an amazing event worth every penny. Have they let us down in years past? Give them the benefit of the doubt until they do.

So with the testing I didn't see the side arm-blockers like on ToT2 in Australia does anyone think if these are the final versions of the restraint?

Cookie "Btw WCB=T-shirt time" Iorio

Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think S:EFK will need them because the station's tunnel it launches out of is really wide

Heh, you say that and Screamscape is reporting this:

"(1/15/11) According to the latest rumor to come my way, a new monkey wrench may have been thrown into Intamin’s latest project: Superman: Escape from Krypton. I’m not exactly sure where the exact problem area is, but I’ve been told that the new cars are apparently a little bit bigger. While they fit on the track just fine, the proper clearance envelope needed for an outstretched rider’s arm to fit safely through the launch tunnel has now been compromised either on the sides or the top.

At this point there are only two ways to fix the problem: widen the tunnel or restrict the riders arm movements. The quick and dirty fix idea under consideration is to attach some kind of “cage” where needed to keep your arms down. Personally I was hoping they would opt to fix the tunnel, taking the time to extend it and maybe add some lighting and fog effects as well. "

Also, are there any pictures of the train, close up?

If there were...we would have posted them!

It's probably on the side, and will be the same thing they did with Tower of Terror II and added a netting to the side of the OTSR's on the outside restraints. Which makes the ride on the outside seat very uncomfortable.

Jay left this past fall I think. You could always see him anywhere in the park on any day smiling, laughing and speaking with his customers. The park has changed significantly since then and not for the better. I've been at the past several WCB's and the ERT included all rides! That's a tremendous commitment to us if nothing else in staffing costs. I've been to the park this year 3 times and tomorrow will make 4. Things are not equal to or better than last season.

I've never been to the park, hell, I've never been west of Iowa. I've been reading Coasterbuzz and TPR for 10 years now and it's pretty remarkable how the general opinion of SFMM and Six Flags as a whole has changed for the better since then. It's entirely possible, but I just have trouble believing that a company would actively engage in (keeping in mind their past, and especially in these times and in a sector as fickle as the amusement industry) the dismanteling of all the positives a previous (successful) regime has made. Now isn't the time to redecorate- something they should recognize. That said, It's just the offseason and it's just a private event. It's still too early to draw conclusions on this new management.

^I agree that it's too early to make a final condemning judgment o about the park, but a lot of us that have been to the park lately have experienced the same thing, so our lack of positivity isn't truly unfounded. Perhaps this is just the "break in" period for the new management; hopefully it is. However I personally believe that this summer will be a telling sign about how the park is going to look/perform for the next few years (until this management gets replaced ) so I do hope that for the benefit of the park, this summer season is successful and they get their act together.

From that video posted it almost looked like Superman almost hit the magnetic brakes up at the top! There was a Superman ride op that used to post on a site and he once got to ride it when it was cranked up to 110 or so and it hit the brakes. That would be a fun experience.

^ To my knowledge, it's been at least ten years since that happened. Back in early 1998, I was invited out to SFMM to ride Superman while the Discovery Channel filmed one of its shows. That day, they filled both cars and launched them simultaneously a number of times till they got the shot they wanted. Racing the other car on that ride was a lot of fun.

One side note, at that time, Riddler's Revenge was under construction and they happened to be building the lift hill that day. If you watch that Discovery Channel show, you could see the lift hill in the background at different stages of its construction. (During the time we were there, they completed one section of the lift hill). A funny thing about that show: because of how it was edited, you saw more of Riddler's lift hill earlier in the show---as if they were taking it down.

Eric

About WCB, I think it is a VERY reasonable price!

I've only been to SFMM once (back in 2007) and $53 for an EVENT there sounds like an AMAZING deal!!! I'd gladly pay $53 to attend. Gladly.

Especially considering that if I went online right now it would cost me $39.99 for a one-day click n print admission ticket. Anyone that is trying to argue that all the ERT, two meals, parking, and the other extras that the park puts on for us isn't worth $13 is an idiot. Sorry, but it's totally true.

--Robb "I don't want people at the event that think it's not a good value for money...those people can stay home!" Alvey

There is another video on youtube of S:EFK testing from a more closer/frontward angle, you can see the train which looks to be all blue, and it looks to have the same seating arrangement as TOT2. Also in this video, you can see how far to the top it launches before the brakes.

ERT (since you can't buy ERT, substitute a regular Flash Pass)-$41

Keep in mind there are other things included (such as the Q&A session) that are difficult to put a price on. I know this is just a rough estimate, but it certainly makes $53 look like a really good value.

VIP ticket's cost 299.99 at SFMM.

www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/tickets/viptours.aspx

which includes:

Front of the line access all day, every ride. (No getting off then getting right back on the same ride. Not like there's a huge point to at SFMM.) Private guided tour. I'm not sure what this entails or how it differs from WCB's tour. I won't make it to WCB this year, but I did win a package of 4 VIP tickets to either SFMM or SFDK. (choices, choices, choices. LMAO.) So I'll get some video/pictures of that experience won't be going until all the rides are confirmed open. But i'm kind of betting Rob already experienced both and could tell us the difference if he has.

That said, WCB is well worth it to anyone within 100 or so miles of SFMM.