TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^I do like the "choose your fate" idea, but if the backwards run is a substantial improvement, I can't see why they'd revert back to the way things were.

I'm sure the key words in there are "substantial improvement." If the backwards trains are getting HUGE lines even months later, I doubt you'll see the one train turned back around until attendance starts to drop.

Now the question - when the turn a train around are they going to put one of the old ones back on, or take a new one and turn it forwards?

^^I do like the "choose your fate" idea, but if the backwards run is a substantial improvement, I can't see why they'd revert back to the way things were.

I'm sure the key words in there are "substantial improvement." If the backwards trains are getting HUGE lines even months later, I doubt you'll see the one train turned back around until attendance starts to drop.

Now the question - when the turn a train around are they going to put one of the old ones back on, or take a new one and turn it forwards?

Hopefully the old one since it only has a lapbar.

I have two questions actually. Will Superman hit the 100mph mark again? And will both sides operate at the same time? If the answer is yes and yes, color VERY excited to ride this. Otherwise, while I admire the effort, I will be only midly interested.

I think that's why they painted the top portion red so it can be judged how far the car climbs the tower. It should run at 100 mph since there is a newly designed car that is supposed to help them achieve that again.

I was hoping they would use a more modern system of propulsion vs. the dated 1996 LSM's that used a ton of energy to launch. A new system would be able to let the cars actually reach 100 mph without mechanical issues like how it was, but I doubt this happened/will happen. At WCB last year, one of the park reps said Superman was only going about 80 mph before it closed because of maintenance etc.

EDIT: Maybe the new cars could also help it reach 100 mph.

That's why I ask the question. I just cannot see the spending millions on two brand spankin new cars, only to use them for a few month and put the old 15 year-old car with lots of wear and tear back on the tracks.

I see them putting the new train on forwards.

--Robb

That's why I ask the question. I just cannot see the spending millions on two brand spankin new cars, only to use them for a few month and put the old 15 year-old car with lots of wear and tear back on the tracks.

I see them putting the new train on forwards.

--Robb

exactly what I was thinking. I hope they run the trains at 100 mph for at LEAST this whole year. Heck, put solar panels in the park! Do something to keep that cost low!

edit** I have been thinking (since the early Bizarro rumors) why don't they place LSM's on the track even on the curve? That's a guaranteed launch to the top and cheap as heck.

Edited by boywholaughed

Based on the type of things SFMM has done for WCB in the past, I've been wondering if they'd have Superman open for this year's event. It looks like my prediction was correct. I really can't wait to ride this, as it is the new coaster experience of 2011 I'm looking forward to most (although Green Lantern also looks very interesting).

As for the forwards/backwards debate, I would guess that they will probably have both cars backward through the 2011 holiday season, then when the ride goes down for annual maintenance after that point they will turn one around. I highly doubt the old cars will ever run again because they are outdated and probably don't run as well as the new cars. For running both tracks, they showed them running simultaneously in the video, but I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to running one side while the other loads for actual operation.

With regards to the old trains and them ever being used again, I'd say its safe to consider them scrap for a couple of reasons. Pretty sure California law says that when an amusement device is modified to be fitted with OTSR's it cannot operate again without them regardless of its operation history. (consider Revolution)

Second, the old cars won't weigh the same meaning they will require different programming to get them up the tower. I don't see the park wanting to deal with re-programming issues every time they want to swap a car.

Third, the new cars will have very little in common with the old ones, meaning they couldn't even be used for spare parts. The rare-earth magnets on the undercarriage are probably worth a lot more recycled than sitting in the boneyard.