TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just a heads up; the buy 4 passes and get Hurricane Harbor passes free deal is done as of yesterday. The new deal is buy 4 passes and you'll get 1 parking pass added to one of the four passes for free. My procrastination bit me in the butt; should have went this weekend and bought our passes....damn it!

The water park deal seemed like a good one. Don't know the prices on a season water park pass (and too lazy to look) but that seems like a higher value than the parking add-on. I'm so not a water park person though. There is a free admission coupon in the coupon book this year to try it out though.

I went ahead and bought a parking add on for my pass. Its usually not needed because my brother gets the xtreme pass for Christmas every year, but there's been a couple times lately he couldn't make it when we planned on going. I figure 3 more trips without him and the add-on was worth it. (Seriously Cody, stop getting sick the morning of a six flags trip...)

Going to the Mountain Sunday the 23rd... Taking some friends that have never been and they are VERY concerned about lines. I know they are down to one train operation on most rides, and some are closed. But it is a Sunday, which I think won't be crowded (doesn't bother me if I miss a couple rides). Can anyone share some wait times they experienced yesterday?

Edited by JJ728

^ You might be able to gauge the crowd before you even get into the park by the number of people going in and/or how full the parking lot is. If you feel like it's pretty crowded, see if your friends are willing to go in on a Flash Pass for your group. It'll cost ya, but should save you time.

Eric

^ You might be able to gauge the crowd before you even get into the park by the number of people going in and/or how full the parking lot is. If you feel like it's pretty crowded, see if your friends are willing to go in on a Flash Pass for your group. It'll cost ya, but should save you time.

Eric

Yes, I'm a fan of the Flash Pass. Although I don't think anyone else will be into spending the money, it will certainly be a good fallback if it gets bad (Damn one train ops) We'd probably go without it.

About the latest map...interesting that they published a version that shows Superman in its new colors for 2011, but no location of Green Lantern or Little Flash (they had Mr. Six's Dance Coaster shown over by Deja Vu on last year's map). I noticed that the Superman tower is way taller than the Sky Tower, which is an exaggeration, of course---most likely just to promote it because of its makeover for this year. I just hope the maps don't start getting all cartoony like they were till last year.

Eric

Interesting that they put a date of January - March 2011 on the map -- can't remember them doing that before (except for the Halloween-themed maps). They kind of have to have Supe in his new colors because, well, it's there and pretty obvious, but I think they'd want to go for the extra marketing tactic by including the so-far unbuilt coasters with a big "Coming Soon" or "Opening Spring 2011" starburst over them. Maybe they're just overly-cautious after the non-appearance of the Dance Coaster after putting it on the map. Guess we'll have to check out the next version of the map in April.

As for cartoony, at least it'll never be in the same "class" as Thorpe Park, whose 2010 map has characters puking, farting, peeing, drinking, spurting blood from severed arms, and making out (naked) behind some bushes, among other things. Definitely good for a few (sick?) laughs.

Wow Riddler's still running one train?? It was like that when I went their this past November.. I was planning to ride it last time but when I rode Batman in the front and saw the line at least 2 hours I said "screw that!!".... SFMM still needs a lot of work...Some restrooms still need to be cleaned up..Their employees need to be more friendly to us guests..I'm tell you at my work at Universal if I'm rude just for a second Im taken to the backroom of the store Im working in and had a long talk.. And start using more then one train on their most popular rides even in the off season... Thats just me though.... Dont get me wrong I still like going there for the rides to have fun.. Don't get me wrong changes dont happen overnight...Lets all hope that was a bad day for you Robb and hope the rest of this year isnt like that day like the old days....Personally I dont like how they dropped the rights for Terminator and the rest of the stuff they had..But Im not the one in control....

Ok im done moaning and groaning lol

^ And rambling, too, I hope...

As others have said, maybe this was an off-season, flukey day with new management and Six Flags will kick it into gear by the time spring and their Three New Coaster Experiences open. If anyone in management can see anything wrong, I'd think that Neal Thurman would, being that he's had the experience of being a part of Jay's team.

Eric

^ Tim started at the park as a ride op at Revolution, I believe. He's about my age, so that means he's been there about 30+ years. Unfortunately, while he may have some influence on decisions regarding rides and/or operations, it all comes down to corporate and the higher ups at the park.

Eric

Just a reminder to use the Discover Card entrance if someone in your party has one. This past trip it saved us a ton of time. There was a massive crowd from the Toys for Tots promotion, but by using the Discover Card entrance we were able to stay ahead of the rush. We had a ten minute wait for the front of X2, and the line was over an hour after we got off. We waited 15 minutes for Tatsu's front, and the line was all the way out the line entrance when we got off the ride.

Which I still don't get. Why is it that a ride like Air, Manta or Crystal Wings can load a B&M flyer just as fast as any other type of coaster, but Tatsu can't?

Perhaps someone who has operated one of these rides can answer, but what is it that inherently makes flyers "slow loading"? I've never understood it.

I've been on both Air and Tatsu, and in terms of boarding, they were no more complex than an Inverted coaster. Sure, it does take an extra few seconds per cycle to lift (and lower) the seats, but on the other hand there are no seatbelts to check....

After a perfect visit in 2010 that placed SFMM squarely in my list of top parks and gave me nothing to complain about, I hope I can still count on similarly pleasant visits in the future. I don't want to have to worry about this place!

I too had a perfect visit to Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2010 ... Right at the beginning of June when LA kids were still in school, while us NorCal kids were out of school. Longest line, 20 minutes!

~Nicholas

Coming from a former Tatsu operator, the required staff it takes to run efficiently, the ride just doesn't get. Too many times that ride gets 3-4 operators PER DAY. I've been there plenty of days where we had to drop a station due to staffing. Not saying it's the only problem, but it was (and maybe still is) a big one.

That's really strange to hear, I went to the park on the 8th and It was quite a delight. The crowds were light, and all the attractions were open on-time. The only ride's that were down were the obvious Deja vu ect. There were no lines throughout the day, with the exception of X2, and scream (only because they were running one train). Tatsu was a walk on most of the day, The line got a little longer later on. In short, I was very impressed with my visit. Like you said, I think it was just an "off" day on the 9th.

In my observation, people are still going over to put their stuff on the shelves, then coming back to get locked in. I've said it before, if SFMM wants people to use the pay-per-use containers, then they need to clamp down on people leaving stuff on the side of the ride and remove any shelves or cabinets that might give the impression that things can still be left there.

Eric

Finally got around to watching the entire preshow video of Apocalypse last night--hoo boy. Truly painful. I think they should either 1) commission a new video from SyFy that includes mega-sharks and -pirhanas or 2) just go with "cat and bunny hat."