TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^Sandor's got a 500ft creation he's been waiting to sell to someone. HaHa jk but in all seriousness I sincerely hope they park doesn't return to it's

"2000-2005 era" where downtime, rude/inefficient employees, and cleanliness/upkeep problems were the norm.

Edited by DJeXeL

Its mid-january. It doesn't get much more "off-season" than it is right now. Let's take the following into account, then wait till WCB to pass final judgement. After-all that seems to be when they "showcase" the park for the upcoming official Summer Season.

Management shake-up and change

Addition of 3 Coaster installations

Loss and need of licensing changes (at corporate level, forced on park)

The recent extremely inclement weather probably left the park in a mess

Aside from general operations, this can be quite a bit to deal with.

Also I find it funny how much clout Rob has when he makes a visit and posts about it here. This one TR generated a good 8 pages of comments and speculation about a random trip on a weekend in JANUARY. -- and for god's sake people, they're just SIGNS!

Hey, changing the subject a little bit, quick question. I have never been to SFMM over President's weekend. I'm thinking about going this year. I was wondering what is the park like on Sunday. (Crowds - Flash pass? Two train operation?). I'm assuming it won't be like a Memorial weekend headache. Park hours are 10:30 to 8:00, with darkness at around 5:00, meaning plenty of time riding coasters in the dark! (Hopefully someone will answer this in light of 8 pages of response to the TR earlier )

^^So..................throwup being allowed to marinate on a trash can for hours on end (may have even been from the day before!) is an off season thing?

Opening your attractions on time is a peak season thing?

Making sure signs and items handed to guests do not have things scribbled out via Sharpee?

Mediocrity is permissible in the off season?

New attractions being built has nothing to do with keeping the park clean and presentable.

I'm not trying to start a flame war but it sounds like you're making excuses for the park. It may have been an off day for the park but inexcusable nonetheless and that 1 day is all that's needed to keep someone from returning.

Edited by DJeXeL

^^From what I have been told Pistachio Park will at some point be a learning place where you can go in, learn about the pistachio growing process, pick one off a tree, etc. It is being sponsored by some Pistachio company.

Maybe it's the Giant Dork in me, but that actually sounds kind of cool. It might be interesting if each Six Flags park had some exhibit show-casing some local industry/produce.

Cameron.

You're entitled to your opinion and its one I agree with. There are some things that are indeed inexcusable and you named quite a few. But I never base my conclusions on the results of one experiment, just like I wouldn't rule out a trip in 2010 based on one TR and I certainly wouldn't draw a comparison to the 'dark ages' based on ONE persons ONE trip. 'alls I'm sayin...

^ Understood and I understand what you were getting at. I'm going to visit the park regardless BUT for someone who's there for their 1st time may or may not return and that gamble is what costs the park money. Also word of mouth can be harmful.

Although I've never been to SFMM, it did appear as if previous management was at least trying to improve guests' experience at the park. As Robb stated, hopefully this day was only a fluke. Perhaps once the summer season comes back around and the licensing changes are made and the new coaster "experiences" are installed, things will settle out.

Great update & Happy Birthday Robb!

It's really nice to see some work going on at the GL site. Superman looks sexy as always. Apocalypse looks good. That one line, "Remember your families. Aim & shoot" is a hilarious fail. Keping the Termy merchandice isn't the best bet, but I can see why. Longhorns being is an absolute FAIL. I don't know why they wwould remove Longhorn anyway. It was a great snak for our vists.

Edited by SFMM fanboy

There is a lot of hate towards The Mountain going on in here and I just don't get it.

I don't go to MM for the food, clean trash cans, flashy ride signage, parades or any else like that. I go to MM for one reason. Their epic collection of coasters. No where else in So Cal do you get so much value for your dollar. I drop down a little over 200 dollars for passes and the parking add on and we are good to go for the whole year. A year of Tatsu, X2, Riddler's and Batman.

My issues are with ride closures and missing trains. The rest is just a bonus.

The kiddy land is torn up and closed? Boo Hoo. I think they should tear the whole thing out and stick in some more steel. Then build a day care out front.

When I want to see pretty flowers and steam cleaned streets I bust out the Disney passes. When I want a day of hard core coasters I head up to the Mountain.

Don't get me wrong, It would be nice if they cleaned up a bit, but speaking as a coaster nut it's trivial to me.

^ Except it sounds like half the coasters were closed or running one train. I've only been to Magic Mountain 4 times (and three of those times were West Coast Bash events), but always had a really great time. It's disappointing to hear about such a bad visit. I'm actively a Six Flags fan too .. Echoing Robb's comments, hopefully this was just one off day.

Cameron.

As I said before, I'm sticking to the idea that SFMM was basically issued pocket-change as a budget since SF is having to spread the wealth between all of there parks because of the licensing (I'm sure they don't want to file ch 11 again!). There's no way they'll keep this up...it has to be temporary.

Another thought: It's possible that since this is one of the busiest times of year for high school and college students, they are running low on staff. It could be a reason for lack of clean-up and shoddiness of parking attendants.

Edited by COASTAH FREAK

^It's before the Easter weeks. I suppose that could be good? But in reality as I posted earlier, with this super late Easter you're pretty much going to see Spring Breaks from the first week of March to the last week of April which should make all vacations/holidays/etc. odd this year.

^You'll still have a good time regardless. Make sure you get there before opening, be first in the gates.

This game plan ALWAYS works for me:

Run straight to X2, Tatsu, Deja Vu, Termi.......err Apocalypse, Goldrusher, Riddler's, Batman, Scream, Colossus, Goliath, Viper, Ninja, Take Orient Express down the hill to Revolution.

That may not work for everyone but works for me and even on busiest days I'm done by 2.