TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

1838796228_FlashPass.jpg.943fbe5dc20fcb341b73a9e3ae99dfd1.jpg

"Any Guest not in the waiting area prior to reservation will not be allowed in to ride."

Really?

I had a Flash Pass when I visited SFNE last year. I don't recall having to be at the ride the moment my reservation came up. Is this something new or is it only exclusive to SFMM? The nice thing about having it was that you are able to do something else while it is holding your place in line. If you have to pay attention to the times this closely, then it seems like it might prevent you from spending your time doing something else, which is what I thought the point of it was.

Ugh, the new preshow for Apocalypse just isn't that good (not that Terminator's was any better), but it just looks painful to be FORCED to watch.

Like Robb said, hopefully this was just an off day for them. But if this is just an off day, then we can't really be super mad at them. Every park has those days where things just aren't going right. Disney, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, they all suffer days where things go wrong. That being said, this TR was pretty sad to see. The park wasn't nearly this cluttered in early September. In fact, the park was pretty dead and they had 2 trains running on both Tatsu and X2.

It's way too early to tell if this was just a bad day, or a sign that the Dark Ages of SFMM in the early 2000's are returning. I just hope that this mess gets cleaned up soon and that the park will go back to good operations.

Sorry your birthday visit to the park kinda sucked. It had to be an off day though.

I think the true problem of Tatsu's operations are it's operators. It should not take as long as it does for that ride to load and unload. Something needs to be done to make them move a little quicker and keep the trains moving. By the time one train hits the brakes after the turnaround, another should already start up the lift hill.

Also, I'd like to ask: Was there anything wrong with Chang's trains and was it bad enough that they truly had to use Riddler's?

Left for lunch, came back and processed my dang parking pass addon, got out coupon books and went back in for round two.

I think this comment you made speaks volumes into part of what we are talking about. If the park had a good selection of reasonably priced (for a park, at least) places to eat, people wouldn't have to leave the park to eat. The last time I was there, lunch cost me around $45 for me and my two sons, and that was just personal pizzas and sodas. Way too much!

I'm not so opposed to the price of food as I am the selection, I expect amusement park pricing for food. I can't be at a park with a grease ball or dairy in my stomach and I don't find much at Six Flags that I like to eat, but I know that going in and plan accordingly, not a big deal to me really.

This ... when you go to a theme park, or a ball game or a concert, paying a premium for food should be something you are prepared for, and it shouldn't surprise you. It's always been that way.

The ONLY time I ever leave the park to eat is when there is nothing at the park that I want to eat, and this is why the only time I generally eat at SFMM is during WCB. Most other times I'm simply not at the park long enough to justify eating there. Simply put, SFMM has ZERO options for people wanting to watch what they eat, or who don't want a burger or pizza. I've heard the Sushi isn't bad, but I still can't bring myself to eat sushi at a theme park (except for EPCOT).

Your TR from SFMM brought back all the WONDERFUL memories I have of the park when I visited with my buddy, his sister and our very own tour guide barbie Erica (thanks again for going with us) the day after we got back from BAB trip in May. It was horrible! Of the 8 parks we visited on that trip out west SFMM was the most unpleasant experience of them all. Our last park on the trip, Six Flags St. Louis came in second. Coasters closed on/off all over the park or just closed all day, one train operations everywhere for the one's that were open and rude or stupid staff. Trying to make the most of our visit I even bought the flash passes for all of us. That was a total waste of money! The only good thing that came out of the visit was that after all these years I finally got to ride X. It was nice seeing members of management walking around with those little garbage pickers and I do have to admit the park was very clean.

First, a belated Happy Birthday, Robb!

Second, also sorry to hear it was not an optimal day at the Mountain.

Third, may I also suggest some content-appropriate word filter alternatives for "tits:"

1. "Airtime hills"

2. "Double Dips"

3. "LSMs (Lovely, Succulent Mammaries)"

4. "Super Happy Smile Fun Lady Parts"

I'm still perplexed by Pistachio Park. The park you can't walk through or sit in, although I'm sure it's because of certain types of guests who would have no problem vandalizing the trees. Bummer about the bbq leaving. Kind of hope that SFMM goes with some more local food vendors, or at least continues on the path towards overall food quality improvement. Until they can get their own food ops up to a better quality, i could only pray they look they get more ambitious with the brands that come into the park. Or even go the DCA route and bring in food trucks for a bit. There really is not a lot of options for healthier eating at the park.

And there certainly is a bit of improvement to be done regarding the overall visual state of the park. I just pray that once everything is in, they find a better way to hide Thomas Town. Little Flash - really hope they change that height limit, and name to something reflective of Looney Tunes. Is Road Runner taken or something? Tossing in a random DC comics reference just seems out of place. Speaking of Thoams Town, since the Glow in The Dark Parades are on the chopping block, they could have ship the floats out here, and put them around the train circuit. Toss in some cheap licensed kid's music, and there you go. At least kids would have something to look at on the train ride.

^^From what I have been told Pistachio Park will at some point be a learning place where you can go in, learn about the pistachio growing process, pick one off a tree, etc. It is being sponsored by some Pistachio company.

Kind of like what Epcot does during Flower & Garden Show with certain tents teaching about honey, flowers, etc.

Basically the Amish version of the Wii Experience.

sfmm_12.jpg

Just wonder how long it took to make that logo. Stock font + subtle gradient on the letters + white stroke = 10 mins worth of work?

Not just a stock font, but the most obvious choice, a variety of "Stencil." Pretty uninspired for sure. [Note to SFMM: I'm available for freelance design work. I'll cut you a break on this, since I know money's tight.]

Also, I think the pistachio thing is part the POM Wonderful/Teleflora company. They're pimping pistachios pretty hard right now.

I don't really like to be all down about SFMM, seriously I try to see the positive in the things they do. However this is looking like one of the more uninspired moves I've ever seen the park make. I mean, really, would it have been that difficult to take down the old letters from the sign?

I really think that the park is heading back to where is was during the late 1990's and the early part of the 2000's. Not saying that it is all a bad thing (who are we kidding, SFMM is and always will be a park built on roller coasters) but I have enjoyed all the effort to improve the overall experience over the past several years.

^That's what I was thinking. The park almost looks like it's returning to the Dark Ages (early 2000's). Once again, let's just hope it was a bad day. Besides, they have done so much to improve the park over the past few years. They took out the piece of junk Flashback, and replaced Psyclone with Termy. So over the past years, things have improved, but they could still be better.

And the Apocalypse sign could have totally been made in 2 seconds in Photoshop, as Wes pointed out.