TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm thinking/hoping that all the cheap feel right now is a quick fix before they make the final, higher quality signs, food options etc. I have always wondered how much these parks read and take into account what the public is saying. It seemed like Shapiro did a lot of that, but I am worried about the new guys. Hopefully they will continue to make Six Flags Parks higher quality feeling and maybe even add some sensible theming

^^10 o'clock would have been fine if your employees are scheduled accordingly.

You're absolutely right about needing employees with more of a sense of urgency. They put a train counter up at X2 which in theory is supposed to motivate the employees to constantly strive to beat the previous hours count but seems like efficiency has actually gone down since that counter was added.

Happy birthday Robb! Thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear that your vist sort of sucked. I'll count myself among those that are hoping it was just an "off" day. Let's hope that by the time the spring and summer seasons are in full swing they've got their act together a little better. By the way, the new video for Apocalypse almost makes me think they should have renamed it, "First person shooter: The Ride". "Remember your family! Shoot to kill!"

I understand that things happen, especially on the off season. But it seems to me like having your rides open with the park should be a job requirement, not a "let's see if we can get everything open by noon" type of thing. Someone is not being held accountable for a lackluster perfomance. Either that or the corporate office should be ripped a new one by the public. The 1-train thing is unfortunate for the guests, but I get it,It's January. But if that's the case, your employees should be hauling ass, period. Sigh.

Ok, I'm done. It was one day and I hope it was just one of those things.

Wow, I really hope that Apocalypse sign is temporary. I too am not impressed. However, I'll grant that the appearance of a sign is much less important than many other aspects of a park visit.

I disagree. I feel that every little detail plays into a guest's experience and whether or not they'll want to spend money and return to the park. Whether it's puke on a trash can, long queues, or a cheesy ride sign, they all say something about the park and how much they care. There is no detail too small in making a great experience for your customer.

Oh, and by the way...GO DUCKS!!! (I'm from Eugene, but moved to L.A. about 5 years ago)

So a final recap/thoughts from my day at the park. First of all I got there later than I usually do. Even coming from San Diego I usually arrive for opening but today I had a late start and didn't get to the front gate until 11:20. Season pass processing looked like a zoo so I skipped processing my parking pass add-on until later.

I had an 8 year old with me who can only hit the 48" rides. So the only sfmm credit she can get and didn't have yet was X2. We went there right away and it had just opened, saw the running of empty trains from the parking lot as we came in. We waited a half hour and that was the longest wait of the day. Next we hit Apocalypse and rode it several times. The ride ops were letting us stay on as long as no one was waiting for the seat you were in. I couldn't believe how many half empty trains there were and got the impression that a lot more people would repeat if they weren't forced through the pre -show.

I looked longingly at Riddler's and Batman as we walked past them, skipping them because of the shorty with me. But it took several minutes to even notice a train going on Riddler's, I had thought it was closed until I finally saw one heading up the lift hill. I'm surprised they are running Riddler's with one train, but they were doing this back in November when I was there last and I waited 45mins for single rider line with no one ahead of me because the ride ops completely ignored me and I didn't want to be rude. Anyway, I wasn't going to do that again.

We headed to Colossus and it wasn't really surprising there wasn't a line for that and we rode it a couple times front and back. Then we went to Goliath and I got the mini me to hit the front train for the first time, she did it like a champ and there wasn't a wait there either. I love pirate ship rides and we hit up Buccaneer next. Left for lunch, came back and processed my dang parking pass addon, got out coupon books and went back in for round two.

I indulged a little and went on Viper without the mini me. Love this ride but probably for sentimental reasons, I was 10 when it opened and it was the first really intense, scared me to death and left me wanting for me coaster I can remember. It was rough, train 2, front seat, the wheels looked worn down I noticed before I got on.

We hit X2 again, no line at all, just walked up and got second row seats, mini me wasn't brave enough for first row and didn't really believe me that there wasn't much difference. Hit up Revolution at the little one's request, then up the hill to Ninja (Hi-ya!). Superman's paint looks amazing. Back for a few more rides on Apocalypse, again staying on for a few turns until there were people waiting and one last run on Goliath before calling it a day and heading to IHOP and back down the 5 to home.

We had a good time, but I'm sure I would have been frustrated waiting for Tatsu and Riddler's, especially if I was there for park opening and those rides weren't ready. If you open at 10:30 the rides should be ready at 10, thats my opinion though and I dont run things.

The park did look tired and run down today, but I do expect that in the dead of winter, I hardly ever go at this time of year, although for my experience today, can't beat the lack of lines.

Here's hoping that the park seems more motivated for WCB. I know I can't wait.

Left for lunch, came back and processed my dang parking pass addon, got out coupon books and went back in for round two.

I think this comment you made speaks volumes into part of what we are talking about. If the park had a good selection of reasonably priced (for a park, at least) places to eat, people wouldn't have to leave the park to eat. The last time I was there, lunch cost me around $45 for me and my two sons, and that was just personal pizzas and sodas. Way too much!

The end bit where they are running through the coaster fighting and such was pretty fun, they should just do that. Put some fog machines all throughout the park, shoot 30-40 minutes worth of Apocalyptic fighting,.

Cody "We don't need a storyline to know that thing's have gone bad" Davis

Come on man. That would suck! That's like being forced to watch COD:BO on TV while you could be actually riding roller coasters.

And it's an insult to the actor(s)....kinda.

Left for lunch, came back and processed my dang parking pass addon, got out coupon books and went back in for round two.

I think this comment you made speaks volumes into part of what we are talking about. If the park had a good selection of reasonably priced (for a park, at least) places to eat, people wouldn't have to leave the park to eat. The last time I was there, lunch cost me around $45 for me and my two sons, and that was just personal pizzas and sodas. Way too much!

I'm not so opposed to the price of food as I am the selection, I expect amusement park pricing for food. I can't be at a park with a grease ball or dairy in my stomach and I don't find much at Six Flags that I like to eat, but I know that going in and plan accordingly, not a big deal to me really.

I agree for the most part on the generally crappy food offerings and high prices, but I've found Mooseburger lodge to be surprisingly affordable (in theme park terms) for the pretty-good quality of food and free soda refills. I just figured I'd throw that out there in case anyone hadn't tried it for fear it was a rip-off.

Is all you ever do is bitch about the park? Seriously. You just come off like a total asshole in almost everything you say. You don't offer anything constructive. Just complain, complain, complain. Most of us who have issues with the park are at least being constructive, and you know, even when we do complain about stuff, many of us are having FUN with it regardless. We know the park isn't perfect. But you take every comment someone makes and turns it into something completely negative. You, honestly, are just being annoying. If you have a complaint, that's fine. But don't come off like you're "ooh, I'm a sr project manager for a fortune 500 company...i'm so f**king cool..." above everyone else and know more than the rest of us do. Seriously, your posts have really gotten on my tits lately.

--Robb "I honestly feel sorry for Mark Shapiro and Jay Thomas for having to have read your obnoxious 8 pages of bullshit." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Is all you ever do is bitch about the park? Seriously. You just come off like a total a$$hole in almost everything you say. You don't offer anything constructive. Just complain, complain, complain. Most of us who have issues with the park are at least being constructive, and you know, even when we do complain about stuff, many of us are having FUN with it regardless. We know the park isn't perfect. But you take every comment someone makes and turns it into something completely negative. You, honestly, are just being annoying. If you have a complaint, that's fine. But don't come off like you're "ooh, I'm a sr project manager for a fortune 500 company...i'm so f**king cool..." above everyone else and know more than the rest of us do. Seriously, your posts have really gotten on my tits lately.

--Robb "I honestly feel sorry for Mark Shapiro and Jay Thomas for having to have read your obnoxious 8 pages of bull$#!%." Alvey

Boom, Roasted.

@ John (Mechanic): I like Mooseburger Lodge, to be honest. To date the only problem I've had there was once when they charged me $57,000 for lunch with my family (an error, obviously, and one that was corrected immediately ).

About the latest map...interesting that they published a version that shows Superman in its new colors for 2011, but no location of Green Lantern or Little Flash (they had Mr. Six's Dance Coaster shown over by Deja Vu on last year's map). I noticed that the Superman tower is way taller than the Sky Tower, which is an exaggeration, of course---most likely just to promote it because of its makeover for this year. I just hope the maps don't start getting all cartoony like they were till last year.

Eric

The end bit where they are running through the coaster fighting and such was pretty fun, they should just do that. Put some fog machines all throughout the park, shoot 30-40 minutes worth of Apocalyptic fighting,.

Cody "We don't need a storyline to know that thing's have gone bad" Davis

Come on man. That would suck! That's like being forced to watch COD:BO on TV while you could be actually riding roller coasters. And it's an insult to the actor(s)....kinda.

I think you missed what I was saying... I would have clips of a battle/war around SFMM to watch while I wait in that section of the queue, rather than being stopped to watch a pre-show. The current pre-show doesn't grab my attention and neither did the old one. But, what does grab my attention is waiting in a long line watching nearly empty trains go by.

And honestly, I would rather look a clips from Call Of Duty: Black Ops than this

Happy birthday! And didn't BeemerBoy say he was in the new preshow? Or PeoplemoverMatt.. I forgot who

I'm in the new preshow. You can see me in the last room's show. I'm the scavenger who lobs a grenade at the girl, and you.

That was all really awesome to be a part of. Makes me wonder if 20ish years from now I'll be able to see myself as I am today in that video?

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

Although depressing, I truly believe that all of this stuff will get fixed really soon. Can you imagine how hard it must be for these guys to keep up the park when they have to deal not only with so many major changes due to licensing, but also with the construction and demolition of rides? I don't even want to know what they're going through right now. SFMM isn't like most parks that have a real off-season because of the weather, so you can imagine that since they can't just do all their work without guests, there's going to be things that aren't pretty and nice to look at. Things like the mock up sign for Apocalypse are probably just temps to keep people from not being confused until the real season starts in the spring.