TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Thats a shame I think if it never had those shoulder restraints it would have been more popular . . . while it didn't work out well for Six Flags im sure there are many smaller parks that it would have worked out much better for. It makes me wonder if it is rough for the same reasons the Eurostar is and if there would have been any way at all to fix it

I only had one ride on Flashback. It wasn't especially rough throughout, it just had one spot where it starts to bank one direction, then it slams the other way, smashing your head into the restraint. My ear hurt for the rest of the day.

Even if the restraints were changed, I think it would only have been about on par with a Hurricane/Windstorm. It definitely seemed like a portable design. Enclosing it would've been cool, but it still probably wouldn't have been a success worthy of the investment.

This discussion reminded me of something from back in the late '90s...one time Diana and I were walking past Flashback and I asked her if she wanted to ride it. Without even a moment to think about it---and not even missing a beat---she just said, "Nope." Just when I thought that kids don't listen to their parents, apparently she had been listening to me talking about it...

Eric

^People see a park open and assume rides will be open. If the park closed for a few months and could focus its rehabs and maintenance you would see MUCH better operations the rest of the time.

And I absolutely think prices should be higher for passes so parents don't use the park as a babysitter for kids like you!

If you're interested in working on a wooden roller coaster...apply now!

http://www.jobstore.com/jobdetails.cfm/4497/CARPENTER-COASTER-CREW

Six Flags Magic Mountain & Hurricane Harbor

CARPENTER COASTER CREW

Post Date: Dec 22, 2010

Job Type: FULL/TEMP

Salary: $10.50

Description

Job duties will include assisting in maintaining and repairing wooden rollercoaster structure and track. Must walk rollercoaster track five days per week, do daily repairs and small tasks (i.e. nailing, bolting, loading), work with power tools., and climb on the outside of wood structure with safety harness to make repairs.

Skills

Must be at least 18 years of age; have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent; and have a valid CA driver’s license. Must be able to work various weekdays and weekends. We will provide all tools.

I would love to have that job! I really enjoyed building roof structures (back when I had a real job) and to do the same work on something 3 times the height would be amazing.

Well, today was my first visit to Magic Mountain. There's good news and bad news here. I'm not a local (South Florida) so my season pass / parking is from 6 Flags Over Georgia (the closest park to me).

My first encounter with some BAD CHANGES was trying to use my season pass parking. "Effective this week" the new policy is season pass parking is only valid for the park of your season pass. For me that's a bummer... This is a new corporate policy for 2011. It's spelled out on the back of your season pass card. I had to shell out $15 to park and later in the day stopped a Guest Relations for a complete explanation and resolution. More on this later.

Apocalypse - Signage changes, and a new video. I liked Termie's video better. Also in the 3rd pre-stage room all 3 terminators have been removed. Looks weird!!! The live camera still works. The ride is still great! Thanks GCII!! I think they got rid of all the Terminator's rideops. I only recognized 1 employee from the "Termie days" of last season.

The best restaurant in the park in my opinion is gone - Texas Barbecue outside of Riddler. Even employees didn't know it was gone even the ones in guest relations. Now I don't have a place to eat lunch while at the park.

Riddler still has only 1 train. The rehabbed train isn't back yet.

Scream was running only 1 train.

Guest Relations did come up with a good resolution to my season parking dilemma. I told them I haven't been to SFOG in over 3 years that I've had my season pass from. I've been to "the Mountain" an average of 17 times per year. They offered to exchange my Georgia pass for a Magic Mountain pass for free. They tried to refund my parking for today, but it wasn't working for some reason. I told them I'll be back Sunday and can get my refund then.

I guess the big change for all season pass holders is: BE PREPARED TO PAY FOR PARKING AT OTHER LOCATIONS OTHER THAN YOUR HOME PARK. I even asked to purchase a parking only pass (which for me would be helpful), but they said this isn't possible. I really feel this is something 6 Flags should consider for sale with this new parking policy.

All things considered, I had a good visit. I really wish Jay Thomas was still there. This parking only pass would be a good source of revenue for them.

My first encounter with some BAD CHANGES was trying to use my season pass parking. "Effective this week" the new policy is season pass parking is only valid for the park of your season pass. For me that's a bummer... This is a new corporate policy for 2011. It's spelled out on the back of your season pass card. I had to shell out $15 to park and later in the day stopped a Guest Relations for a complete explanation and resolution. More on this later.

This has always been the policy if I'm correct that the values of the XTREME pass only work at the park on the front. I remember seeing this on my pass a couple years ago when I went to Great Adventure.

On the other hand does anyone know how long it took to change everything on Terminator?(Sign, theming, etc.)

-Cookie

^Agreed. But, have you noticed (I'm asking this to everyone) that with Al Weber in charge, that he's already making things more like Paramount did, where they're trying to make it more based around movies (warner in this case)?

Actually, Al Weber isn't in charge. He only took control temporarily while they found a new President and CEO. Weber is now back to being the COO. James Reid-Anderson was named the Chairman, President, and CEO back on August 13th.

Right. But do you think these two people don't ever talk to each other or something? Or that one of them isn't allowed to express a thought or an idea because of their title? Don't underestimate how much weight a suggestion by a very experienced person in a very influential corporate position could have, even if they are not the CEO of a company.

--Robb

Please don't get me wrong. I work for a Fortune 500 company and I know quite well how the corporate hierarchy works. I never said Al wouldn't still be influential. There is no doubt in my mind that Al will be leaned on heavily by the new guy, at least until he gets his legs under him, especially considering that Al is the Chief Operating Officer and the new guy has no direct experience with theme parks. I was merely pointing out that that Al isn't technically "in charge" anymore.

Well, today was my first visit to Magic Mountain.

The ride is still great!

The best restaurant in the park in my opinion is gone - Texas Barbecue outside of Riddler.

I told them I haven't been to SFOG in over 3 years that I've had my season pass from. I've been to "the Mountain" an average of 17 times per year. They offered to exchange my Georgia pass for a Magic Mountain pass for free.

You have never been to SFMM?

The ride is still great!

The best restaurant in the park in my opinion is gone - Texas Barbecue outside of Riddler.

I told them I haven't been to SFOG in over 3 years that I've had my season pass from. I've been to "the Mountain" an average of 17 times per year. They offered to exchange my Georgia pass for a Magic Mountain pass for free.

Sorry typo -- first visit of 2011. I guess I'm still upset about the parking issue.

This has always been the policy if I'm correct that the values of the XTREME pass only work at the park on the front. I remember seeing this on my pass a couple years ago when I went to Great Adventure.

-Cookie

I've never had a Magic Mountain pass before today. I've always had a 6 Flags Over Georgia pass with parking and it was honored at EVERY 6 FLAGS PARK (except for Kentucky since they didn't own the parking lot). I never paid for parking until today.

The ride is still great!

Sorry typo -- first visit of 2011. I guess I'm still upset about the parking issue.

No problem man, I was just a little confused

^And I absolutely think prices should be higher for passes so parents don't use the park as a babysitter for kids like you!

No reference to the person you are commenting about, but I couldn't agree more with this statement. I think the season pass prices are way too low. Not that I'm into paying any more than I have to, but I think it's wrong to basically give out a season pass for virtually the same cost of a one-day ticket. As you say, the park is flooded with kids who basically hang out there because their parents bought them a cheap season pass. I say raise the annual rates. They'll still get the die hard coaster fans to buy them and if the parents want their kids to have a place to hang out, then they'll have to shell out some extra cash. I'm sure the number of annual passes sold will drop, but I bet overall the park will bring in more revenue, which is ultimately a win for all of us.

^People see a park open and assume rides will be open. If the park closed for a few months and could focus its rehabs and maintenance you would see MUCH better operations the rest of the time.

And I absolutely think prices should be higher for passes so parents don't use the park as a babysitter for kids like you!

I'm an adult, but thanks.

On the other hand does anyone know how long it took to change everything on Terminator?(Sign, theming, etc.)

-Cookie

No, the passes purchased at Magic Mountain have always allowed free parking with an Xtreme Pass at any of the other parks in the chain. I have had them from 2007 I believe, and even my 2010 one allows it. In 2011, this is sadly no longer true.

While I mentioned previously that it was nice having coasters at your disposal all year long, I would honestly not mind if SFMM closed for a few months each year (say December through February) in order to do any maintenance, repairs, prep work, etc. I only go once or twice during this time of the year anyway, and I could live without a coaster ride for a little while.

As for the season pass prices, I do think they're underpriced. They could raise the Xtreme Pass to $200 and it would still be a bargain. (I even told Jay that once and he said, "I like your thinking.") As Elissa said, a lot of parents in the Santa Clarita Valley use the park as a babysitter, and a $60 pass is cheap babysitting.

The parking policy has apparently changed. At one time, yes, you could park for free at any Six Flags park if you had parking included with your pass. Not any more. For me personally, that's not a big deal because I don't go to any other Six Flags parks. But if I did, an extra $15 wouldn't kill me considering that I'd be getting in free anyway.

Eric

I'm sure the company knows which prices will maximize the number of people in the park while still making substantial revenue off the sale of passes, and as we've learned, the park makes the most money off people that spend in the park, not the one time sale of a season ticket.