TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ Condor was actually open in late Fall 1988. I remember it opened about six months after Ninja. But Condor was only at SFMM for about a year at the most. During its all-too-brief stay, I only got to ride it once.

Eric

So is anyone else really impressed with the way SFMM has managed their coaster collection over the last 5 years? For a park with that many coasters (over 15, some extremely technical) its very difficult to maintain a lineup with very few "mediocre" coasters, and (imo) zero bad roller coasters.

We all have our complaints about flat rides and infrastructure, but I am extremely pleased that we have so many quality coasters with very little sbno time among them. I think it would be silly to *not* expect the Rocky treatment for colossus in the next couple years.

I guess they filmed it right before Rev opened and Rev was the whole glory shots/finale.

IIRC, the filming sequences on Revolution were done in the fall of 1976, after a full summer season of operation. (Opened in May of 1976) If you look at the track during the movie, it does look fairly worn, especially when the bomb squad guy is wrapping the bunting on the track.

I finally caught Rollercoaster again last year, and to think when I saw it on TV as a little kid, I never thought I'd ever get to ride a coaster like Revolution. I demand a remake!

So is anyone else really impressed with the way SFMM has managed their coaster collection over the last 5 years? For a park with that many coasters (over 15, some extremely technical) its very difficult to maintain a lineup with very few "mediocre" coasters, and (imo) zero bad roller coasters.

We all have our complaints about flat rides and infrastructure, but I am extremely pleased that we have so many quality coasters with very little sbno time among them. I think it would be silly to *not* expect the Rocky treatment for colossus in the next couple years.

I agree that SFMM hs done a "pretty" good job with their coaster collection. To me it's still a "B" grade line up overall, with a few too many coasters that do almost the exact same thing. Where they have really thrived lately, is the smart decisions to re-market X2 and Superman, and remove the dead weight of Psyclone and Flashback. No other park I can think of has done more to right the wrong of past decisions. Sadly, it seems as though this was mainly under the Shapiro/Thomas rein. I'm not so sure this will continue into the future under new management. Guess this year's WCB will tell us a lot, as I know the question will come up.

Having ridden 20 of the 21 coasters SFMM has ever had to date (never rode Percy in any of its forms), I have to admit that it's been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed having such a collection within an hour of home. But enough with the inversions already. We need a good, mile-long or more, OTSR-less airtime coaster. Let's hope current management will deliver.

Eric

^Agreed. But, have you noticed (I'm asking this to everyone) that with Al Weber in charge, that he's already making things more like Paramount did, where they're trying to make it more based around movies (warner in this case)? Paramount really took advantage and used alot of different movies to incorperate with their rides (Top Gun for example). They've already started doing that (Superman Escape From Krypton, Green Lanturn, etc.). Also, I hope they manage the parks better than they did with the former Paramount Parks. By the time they were all bought out by Cedar Fair, they were all looking in pretty bad shape (luckily Cedar Fair changed most of that). Just something to think about.

Alright then....

I would still really like to see a Gerstlauer spinning coaster. I've always thought it would be cool to build another wild-mouse named after the old Mountain Express coaster too. And also, when will they put something in the Flashback area?

And also, when will they put something in the Flashback area?
When they decide to expand Hurricane Harbor.

Which probably won't be for a couple seasons, since I think they just put in Mr. Six's Splash Island. (Or something like that?) Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been to HH for a while.

^^ On that note, it'd be nice to see Hurricane Harbor get a Master Blaster of some sort. That park is hurting for something really good. The old Flashback site would be a nice little chunk of land to give to HH.

ErIc

Somewhere in this thread I believe somebody mentioned that HH is on a "5 year plan" in the sense that they only really get major stuff every 5 years. Hopefully that's not the case moving forward...

But I don't think a spinner would really suit Magic Mountain well, it's another low capacity ride in a park that has way too many low capacity rides. Hopefully they'll crank on Green Lantern though because it's going to be really popular. Speaking of which, have any survey markers popped up yet?

Could anyone offer any incite on what the crowds may be like on Saturday, 8th? I'm considering taking a trip down there from San Diego. It's been a long while since I've been to the park, I'm really looking forward to riding Tatsu and "Apocalypse", Since those are the only two credits I still need to get. I also want to try out X2, The last time I went was when it was still X. I'm looking forward to the new experience. All that aside, my major issue is how short the park hours are (10:30am-6pm).The potential crowds are a major factor in me taking the trip. I went around the 21st, a few years ago, the crowds were manageable, but then again the park was open later. I'd prefer not rushing and running around, and just enjoying my day at the park. If anyone can offer input, It'd be greatly appreciated.

I agree that SFMM hs done a "pretty" good job with their coaster collection. To me it's still a "B" grade line up overall, with a few too many coasters that do almost the exact same thing. Where they have really thrived lately, is the smart decisions to re-market X2 and Superman, and remove the dead weight of Psyclone and Flashback. No other park I can think of has done more to right the wrong of past decisions. Sadly, it seems as though this was mainly under the Shapiro/Thomas rein. I'm not so sure this will continue into the future under new management. Guess this year's WCB will tell us a lot, as I know the question will come up.

I think the removal of Flashback was a mistake, they had a one of a kind nothing else like it on earth coaster that just needed a new train design and some work and they opted to scrap it instead