TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I had a good visit to the park today (er... yesterday, 12/30/2010). I arrived around 11:30, parked in the second lot (the shameless-marketing "Snickers" lot), skipped processing my new season pass since I was already late, and headed straight into the park. Revolution looked to have about a 15 minute line. The line for X2 was running under the bridge, maybe because the gate was closed and it wasn't really that long, but I didn't check. Viper's line was running down the midway, but again it looked like they were holding it outside the station, so I'm not sure how long the wait actually was. With the way they were controlling the lines, it looked like they'd just opened both rides, but it might just be their new way of doing things, as I saw them controlling rides more than usual today.

I continued up the hill, saw that Tatsu had a 0:45+ line, and somewhat discouraged, continued on down the hill. I got in line for Terminator, with its line taking up only about half of the outdoor queue. I lost track of time fiddling with my iPod, but it seemed to be about 0:45 before I was in the station. I had a good ride in the back. It's still one of the better GCI coasters, especially for its size, but it is disappointing how it starts off so strong, then has such a dull finale. The first part is pretty awesome though. The fire effect was working on my first ride, and I didn't miss the audio.

From there I had a walk on for Goldrusher, then noticed at the new coffee shop that they've installed one of these Coke Freestyle Dispensers. I desperately wanted to test it out to see what Fanta flavors it has, but the place had a bit of a line, and it didn't look like they'd really planned on selling soda, as the only option besides the souvenir cup was a large soda for $5. I considered just playing with the machine to see what it had, but I was afraid it might start spraying Beverly everywhere.

I finally tried the new BBQ place near Riddlers, lunching on the brisket and sausage sliders. I'm biased because I love BBQ, but I was happy with it, other than that it wasn't entirely filling. From there I used the Riddler's single rider line for my first time to get two rides in the front (my first ride had the guy next to me holding his hands out, with one smack in front of my face, which seriously damaged my calm and led to taking the second ride). The line looked to be just outside the station, so it was probably about a 0:30 wait. From there I had a 0:15 wait for Batman in the back row. It's probably just because I was in an inside seat in the back, but it did absolutely nothing for me. I might just be jaded.

From there I had about a 0:30 wait for Colosssus (right side). It was running pretty smooth; I even got a little air on a couple drops. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it eventually getting the Texas Giant treatment, as the park could use an airtime machine. Not to open a can of worms, but the main reason I prefer CP's coaster collection is because their rides have more of a focus on speed and drops, while SFMM's tend to be more inversion/turn heavy. So Colossus getting turned into something more like Balder would help close that gap, which would make me happy. But since it's already running fairly well, I wouldn't make it a big priority.

Scream looked to have about a 0:30 line (basically the entire queue), probably the longest I've ever seen for it, so I skipped it (it's skippable). Goliath's queue was about 0:30, starting near the other side of the station. Goliath is usually somewhat skippable for me, but I had a nice ride on it in the back. It's become one of my least favorite hypers, as the hyper-twister thing really doesn't excite me anymore (same with Raging Bull), but it is a solid ride.

From there I left the park around 3:30 to get my new season pass. There was no wait, and as mentioned elsewhere, they already had the coupon book available (which is great, since I forgot it altogether last season). From there I went back in and had a nice front-seat ride on Revolution after a short wait.

My only big to-do left was X, so I queued up for that. The line stretched to near it's queue entrance, but they were running two trains, and not all of the queue was being used, so it was only about a 0:45 wait for the back row. I was impressed with how they were managing the line, as after the split it was fairly short, and the station was uncrowded. I had a great ride on it, pretty smooth, still easily one of my favorite coasters (though I think I now prefer Eejanaika slightly for it's added flair, even if it is a little rougher, but that's another story).

Viper and Tatsu looked to still have lines around 0:30, so I figured I'd check on Ninja instead, since I saw it cycling an empty train earlier that day. I found it open, and got a couple rides in, one in the back car, and one in the front seat. Both times I had to wait an extra train due to Lo-Q, which is always a little irritating. I came back from my the second ride and the station was deserted, so I got two more re-rides, for four total. After that they closed it due to the cold (it was chilly, probably 40-45*F). Ninja is still a great ride, one of my favorites at the park, even if it feels a bit rattly. Hopefully they can keep it running for years, without the problems BGW experienced. I still had about 20 minutes before the park closed, so I went down to Terminator, and basically had a walk-on, minus waiting for the pre-show. I got a couple great rides in, seated near the middle of the train. I lost my seat for the last train of the night, but I was happy just to get those last two rides in.

So in summary, the park was more crowded than I've seen it in a while, but that's not saying much since it's usually pretty dead when I visit. Luckily no one coaster seemed to be hogging all the crowds, so all the waits were tolerable. The closed rides I noted included everything mentioned in the earlier post, plus Raging Rapids, and minus Ninja (for at least part of the day). Everything was running well, I had no bad rides (except maybe my Batman ride, but that might've just been me), and I thought the line management was especially well done. I had a slow start, but I ended up having a nice day.

Happy New Year!

^ Just a note, I noticed that one of your locations is Port Hueneme. Next time you're up Port Hueneme way, there's a new Topper's Pizza on Peninsula Drive (the same street that leads to the now closed Lobster Trap at the Channel Islands Harbor) off of Channel Islands Blvd. near the bridge over the channel. They have two of the Coke Freestyle machines. I agree, they're incredible. When I was at Topper's earlier today, I made a Cherry Lime Diet Coke. Good stuff.

Anyway, depending on the weather, I may make a trip out to SFMM sometime this weekend. It sounds like it's not that busy.

Eric

I'm a long time lurker of these boards, finally I have a reason to sign up. I'm going to be making my first trip to Magic Mountain from Canada on Sunday, January 30th!

It's somewhat odd, in that I'll be purchasing a seasons pass because the nearest Six Flags for me is 1500 miles away. This summer I'll be hitting up a couple of the east coast parks though, so this makes financial sense for me.

My girlfriend will be with me in California, but not for the other parks so I was just going to purchase her a regular admission. I've read about these coupon books for passholders, I'm wondering what the offers are. Would it be better for me to just purchase her a day admission online, or will there be a cheaper way with one of the coupons to do it the day of?

Finally, we're planning on being there from open until close. Would a Flash pass be a requirement to have a good time (ie...ride all the coasters at least once) or can we get it done waiting in line the old fashioned way. If for some reason the park is closed on January 30th, we'll do our visit on the following Saturday. Would that make a large difference in the crowds?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

^No.

^^If your visiting in January you may not get your Season Pass booklet the day you get your pass so it won't help your girlfriend. The past few years we haven't gotten the booklets until March. And even then the 'bring a friend free' coupons have only been good for select days.

^ That has been the case, but I got my 2011 Xtreme pass last Sunday, and the booklets are here.

As you said, though, unfortunately, the free friend passes are only good on selected days. I wish they'd go back to having even one of them good on any operating day.

Eric

The bottom line it, your girlfriend won't need a season pass. Buying a one day ticket online is probab;y the besst idea since the bring a friend coupons are only on select days. Nothing that hasn't really been mentioned before.

Edited by ABW

My girlfriend will be with me in California, but not for the other parks so I was just going to purchase her a regular admission. I've read about these coupon books for passholders, I'm wondering what the offers are. Would it be better for me to just purchase her a day admission online, or will there be a cheaper way with one of the coupons to do it the day of?

I'm looking at the 2011 Season Pass Value Book and there is one coupon you could use. It's the $25 Friend Day Admission coupon and it is valid to buy a general admission ticket for only $25. It can be used any day in Jan, Feb, or March. You get the coupon book after you get processed for your season pass. She could go with you to get processed, since that happens outside the park, but then you would need to return to the ticket booth to buy her ticket.

-Kurt

Get ready for an eruption of sights and thrills that drop and turn you straight into the confines of artificially intelligent lethal machines, in one final attempt to save human kind.

It sounds like the theme will stay basically the same, they just can't reference the word "Terminator"

Also, Eric, I'll probably check out that Toppers today, especially since I have a gift card that's been burning a hole in my pocket.

^^^It's been named that on the website for a week or so but the actual ride itself is still gonna be Terminator Salvation until January 8th then it becomes Apocalypse.

Cookie "Rode it 2 days ago" Iorio

EDIT: Found some pictures of S:EFK that I took on New Years Eve thought I'd hare.

popup-1.jpeg.3924c3ffdb2bce702794ed4a15fa8b9f.jpeg

Looks awesome!

popup-2.jpeg.540cad80dfdc2a22b72957b247e4466f.jpeg

View from X2's bridge. Really stands out now.

While I do like the new colors on the tower, one thing I've noticed is that the tower seems to blend into the background; it doesn't stand out so much. But maybe that's just me.

I found the description of Apocalypse to be kind of funny, with its mention of "state-of-the-art" thrills. Now that the sound system is gone, there's really nothing "state-of-the-art" about that ride anymore---it's just a typical modern wooden roller coaster.

Eric

I looked at the online map, it doesn't have Green Lantern or the new Superman yet, but I did notice they finally take out the kid coaster next to Deja Vu. And obviously Sierra Falls is still there as well. It's weird to have to call Terminator Apocalypse now, I'm sure a lot of people will still call it Terminator like me.

This just in! Photos of Six Flags Magic Mountain in the snow! Now granted, this is "So Cal Snow", so it's really only a light dusting, but still, how often is it that we see snow on the tracks of the coasters at SFMM? Check it out...

Here's a couple photos of SFMM with snow capped mountains in the background! (2 photos by Robb Alvey)

The following Photos courtesy of William...

snow1.jpg.01b6206099f1b5ceb80ff2bebb2cfdd5.jpg

snow2.thumb.jpg.c3806898e9dc13943e4fe7daae93dec9.jpg

snow3.jpg.8c59d712b816cd93556102e456386a30.jpg

snow4.jpg.41fe464ea9b3deaee1b71509094be167.jpg

snow5.jpg.0b762ecc47a0aac3aae00f08620718b3.jpg

snow6.jpg.f326d2d46d3919b5ead4e007f827ffd9.jpg

snow7.jpg.009c8ce34ec48716a1dd883e9b4cb92a.jpg

snow9.jpg.a066c0c3350f623a1797fd89453f092c.jpg

snow10.jpg.8ef773365426536288be587882fffcc9.jpg

Edited by robbalvey