TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Honestly, though, it's nice to have somewhere to sit. I've noticed that there aren't really that many benches at SFMM---and they can sure use more, that is, unless they like people sitting on curbs and railings...

Eric

That's the best part! It's all fenced off so there's no real park to sit at!

@ jray21, yep, Pistachio Park. That's the name. And I'll bet there ain't a pistachio anywhere near there.

Honestly, though, it's nice to have somewhere to sit. I've noticed that there aren't really that many benches at SFMM---and they can sure use more, that is, unless they like people sitting on curbs and railings...

Eric

If you're talking about sitting in Pistachio Park, you'll have to jump the locked gate to get in........kind of defeats the purpose of a "park". And the benches are there, most of them in the smoking areas.

Just got an interesting email ad from SFMM...here are some highlights:

- Get a Six Flags Thomas Engine Toy for $1!!! (this is a great deal if you know pricing on Thomas stuff!!!!)

- Park is closed ALL DAY Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day (24th and 25th).

- Still no name listed for 'Family Ride' coming Spring 2011.

Get a Six Flags Thomas Engine Toy for $1!!! (this is a great deal if you know pricing on Thomas stuff!!!!)
I do know the pricing for Thomas toys. (my nephew loves it) That's literally the cheapest you will find anything Thomas related. Evan at Walmart just a tank engine can run 8 or 9 bucks. If anyone here is doing any holiday shopping for smaller kids, I'd urge you to take advantage.

Robb, if I recall from my time working at the park (2003-2004) I don't believe we got paid anything extra for working those days. I worked one of them (can't tell you which one anymore) and all I got was a $5 coupon to Oasis (employee cafeteria). That might have changed in the last several years but otherwise I'm not sure labor costs would be a huge issue in that regard. I do remember from working there how empty the park used to be on major holidays that I worked. I used to by the sound mixer for certain shows in the park and as part of that I would do audience counts (rough guesses on my part). I generally worked the Bird Show in Bugs Bunny world, on a busy weekend we'd see 250 people per show at the upper limit, I remember on holiday weekends (Thanksgiving and Christmas) it wasn't rare to run the show with the the crowd being in the single digits. I'm sure there is a point where the cost of running the park for the day is considerably greater than the expected revenue from from guests. I wonder if Six Flags looked at the previous years attendance and simply decided that it wasn't profitable to open on those days. Just a thought.

- Park is closed ALL DAY Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day (24th and 25th).

I'm sure labor cost is a factor. When I worked at Disneyland, you were paid overtime and double time for those two days.

I retract that. California State Law does not require any company pay overtime or double pay on holidays. So I have no clue why they would be closed those two days this year for the first time in I don't know how long...

Aren't some departments unionized or does anyone get holiday pay yet?

Cause honestly, if paying overtime is not the reason, I can't understand why SFMM would close on that Friday!!!! I don't buy the low attendance, especially on a Friday of a Holiday week. If anything it will just lead to more rumors of "the park is closed/closing" for all the people that head up and find it closed!

^As far as I know the only people who are unionized are the characters that roam the park, and they are actually a special case because they are working on a contract as part of an outside company. I also thought that the mechanics were part of a union, however honestly I could very well be wrong about that.

I was looking at the calendar earlier today and noticed they were closed on Xmas eve, and was pretty surprised that they weren't at least open from 10:30-5:00 or something. Xmas I totally understand and I actually think it's a good thing they are closed, gives their employees a holiday off.

Also thought it was interesting that they are closed at 6:00 on NYE. Didn't they try some kind of NYE thing a few years back? I'm assuming it didn't work out?

^^Yeah, I want to say they've had the NYE event at least the last three years now?

^I think you'd find there are plenty of people willing to work Christmas and plenty of people that 'have to'. If you work at a park/resort where people holiday, work!

I have been really disappointed with SFMM's operating schedule, but I do agree that they should be closed on the 24th and 25th:

-The latest the park is open in 10:00, which is only on Saturdays in July. Otherwise, everything else is 9:00 during the summer and on Saturdays through the spring and fall. Before I remember staying until 11:00 closing for Saturdays and 10:00 for summer weekdays.

-They open now always at 10:30 on most Saturdays and every other day. Usually on Saturdays the park ALWAYS opened at 10:00 (unless it was the off season). Now it's limited to just Saturdays in the middle of the summer. It actually really helps to get a good 30 minute head start on the day.

-In the off season, 10:30 to 6:00 is pretty usual, so I'm not going to gripe about that one lol. 10:30 to 8:00 on off season holidays such as Memorial, President's, and MLK weekends.

Most of the technical people are unionized. I think the case of SFMM it is really just a matter of them realizing that SFMM is NOT the place you go to spend time with your family over the holidays.