TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

For me the 1st and 3rd drops on Goliath give EXTREME AIRTIME in the rear. I guess you can call me the rear admiral..

Until I got out of California I had no idea what airtime was. After riding El Toro and the Voyage within 1 week of each other, they successfully broke my infatuation with Goliath's "airtime". Granted I still love Goliath but in relation to other rides, it really has minimal airtime.

Well, I've been on both El Toro (my #1 wood) and Voyage (hated it and prayed for it to end), so I too can compare the "airtime." El Toro has a lot more "forceful airtime," but the sustained airtime on the third hill on Goliath is extended - nearly 6 seconds.

I've actually gotten some good floater airtime on the turnaround just before the second drop. The thing with Goliath is that it does deliver, but just not enough. Considering its height, Goliath should have had another 1000 feet of track with a few more good airtime hills.

Honestly, I still like it, though. For me, it's still running as smooth as it was in February 2000 when it opened.

Eric

^ Whered you hear that?

From a person on the INSIDE hint hint(no not the Dippin Dots dude) this person goes way back from the days of Gooses Realm of Insanity

Like I said it's just rumor and just b/c they've been right in the past doesn't mean they will be right all of the time. If they are indeed right I believe we'll be very happy with it, it'll be a real cliff hanger . Man come 2012 Knotts, SFMM, Disney, Uni it's going to be an amazing year for us Cali folk

Also I've ridden Goliath from front to back and I truly just don't get it, it does nothing for me and I never get any thing more then floater at best airtime maybe it just me or I'm intamin spoiled

^^ I think I know who your source is---not personally, but which person you're talking about. And I believe that person is a valid source.

With all that is going on at Disneyland/DCA and what's rumored at Knott's, SFMM had better have something major up its sleeve to compete. And I think they will.

Eric

However, I do know that there are some other spots in the park where a good sized coaster could go. As we've seen in a few examples, ride designers and engineers can get very creative when need be.

Eric

Its like when Tatsu was coming to the park. When word started circulating that the park was going to build the world's tallest and fastest flying coaster. I had literally had no idea where they were going to put it.

There was a documentary a few years ago either on Discovery or History channel which chronicals the building and engineering of Tatsu.

I uploaded a copy of this when it first aired for anyone who still hasn't seen it before. (I'm actually surprised the links are still good all these years later.) The better part is Megavideo now lets you stream it instead of having to download the whole thing:

Part 1:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQUVQGZ1

Part 2:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z1AGHIXI

-Sean

What we got was a flyer built on TOP of a hill. Honestly, Tatsu could probably end up at any other park with a substantial amount of flat space. IMO, they REALLY missed the ball there. Good ride, but not as great as it could have been.

LOL! Some people are NEVER satisfied.

I think Tatsu is perfect and is what a flyer should be, flying high above the park swooping turns, graceful inversions killer pretzel loop. I don't understand the people who think flying just a few feet from the ground on your face would be that exciting.

Agreed!

I've heard they're putting the biggest tallest FIRST! on the Westcoast coaster in a spot that was once going to be used for a relocated kiddy coaster for 2012. unfortunately the rumore is not an Intamin.

Aww man! I think I know what that means, and I wish it was an Intamin instead!

I've actually gotten some good floater airtime on the turnaround just before the second drop. The thing with Goliath is that it does deliver, but just not enough. Considering its height, Goliath should have had another 1000 feet of track with a few more good airtime hills.

Honestly, I still like it, though. For me, it's still running as smooth as it was in February 2000 when it opened.

Eric

Agreed

Thanks for those links Sean I love watching stuff like that.

Lol I wouldn't say my source b/c I don't know them personnaly either but yes I think us old timers who can remember Goose's page are indeed talking about the same person and like you said is a vaild source.

Glund I 100% agree with you on I would of love the addition to be another Intamin , but I guess SFMM couldn't let SFGADv be the only park with 5 of them lol

Yes Green Lantern is going to be something but a Green Giga could of been AMAZING! It's still could be in SFMM future maybe not Green but I'm sure the park is going to hopefully get a (Intamin) giga one of these days.

I think SFMM has enough green coasters now. Three is plenty, and they're all on the same side of the park, too.

For 2012, if it's going to happen, given the choice between a dive machine and a good speed and airtime filled ride, I'd go with the latter. SFMM has enough inversions (the most in the world according to this page).

Eric

I can't figure out what the appeal of a dive machine coaster would be in a park where you already have a coaster with a vertical hold (Deja Vu) along with two additional face first drops (X2 and Superman). And as Eric said, the park already has plenty of inversions. For me, the only thing that would make it worth while is if it drops you into a hole like Oblivion.

^^To follow the same logic, what is the appeal of a coaster that goes up and down and has airtime when there are 18 other coasters that go up and down and have airtime? SFMM would be hard-pressed to add something that is ABSOLUTELY UTTERLY different from anything else that you can find at the park. They already have:

Launches

Woodies

Hypers

Airtime

Flyers

Boomerangs

Vertical drops

4 dimensions

Inverted

B&M

Arrow suspended

Juniors

Racers

Stand up

Shoot-the-chutes

So, that leaves... Aquatrax. Unless anyone thinks a dueling-giga-wooden-inverted-4-dimension-stand up that swings and has a splash down is out opf the running yet.

There's an idea, dueling.

Edited by let1gre

^^ But just as I predicted a few months back, one was announced. It's really a cost-per-thrill type situation. Small cost, big thrills. Plus since Intamin is already rehabing Superman for them, they might have gotten a good deal on it.

The ride I can see them putting in for 2012 is something most likely from Intamin.

If it is from Intamin, I'm guessing either a Mega-Lite, Blitz, or Vertical Lift.

If it's from B&M, I'm guessing Hyper Coaster.

If it's from S&S, Combo Tower, or some kind of tower attraction.

Those are the only manufacturers I can see them going to currently...I doubt Vekoma because of the Deja-Vu Fiascos they had with them but...you never know.

^^ If it's from S&S, actually, I would love to see one of the Happy Valley Beijing/Shenzhen launchies. Those looked absolutely fantastic, and SFMM doesn't have a complete-circuit launcher yet. With the Busch Gardens franchise soon to get Intamin launchers (probably for BGW) and having a monopoly on dive machines, SFMM might go in a completely different route, as we've already seen à la Ball Coaster.

^^^That's not a fair analysis of the park's lineup. You over generalized everything. Becase Superman is still there doesn't mean another type of launch coaster can be added and still be diverse (Impulse, Rocket, Blitz) However a Dive Machine specializes in that ONE thing, and there are at the moment THREE rides that do the ONE thing that a Diving machine does. And to add to that, you get more than just a drop on X and Deja Vu. Yes, adding one will have marketability value, but I suspect taht if one is added, the reride value will deminish after time.