TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I always thought Goliath slowed down on the top of the lift for the effect. Because then you'd look down and be like HOLY CRAP! I guess not...

That happened after the girl died on the ride. Mid-course trims also got stronger after that. Not that the ride was that much better before hand. I always thought of Goliath as a mediocre hyper-coaster at best compared to the Intamin's and B&M's. Fun? Sure! And if you've never been on any of the other hypers, you're going to love it. But as most coaster enthusiasts goes, Millennium Force opened the same year as Goliath. It was no contest which was the better ride!

I agree. Over the years I have adobted a fondness for Goliath, but it really can't compare to the other hypers out there mainly because it was designed to feature one set forces (positive Gs) and little else. I think back to all those "Goliath vs Millennium Force" fanboy threads and think "really"? Goliath isn't even it the same league. And it's just a big, clunky mess compared with the hypers that have opened since. lol

I dream of the day SFMM takes another crack at the hyper/giga genre, but there's really no logical reason they would. So, fingers crossed for Knotts!

^^ Sadly, I agree. But as we've already pointed out, they almost have to do so in order to stay competitive.

^ Actually, I think going taller and faster than Goliath would work in SFMM's favor. The one type of coaster they don't have is a long, straight, airtime-filled coaster. At some point, I'd like to think that they would take advantage of the south and west sides of the park and incorporate something into that area. But we'll see.

Eric

What would it take for them to build one little dark ride? A nuclear holocaust?

I love coasters but I'm a huge dark ride freak and I think it's just disgusting that the two roller coaster capitals of the world make no attempt at just ONE darkride at their "theme" or "amusement" parks. I loved the pirate ride at CP if for no other reason, it was the only attempt at theming there. Concrete jungles of coasters - ehhh nah. However, what else can you expect from CF and SF

Actually...Disaster Transport is a dark ride, so there, you have your dark ride. I would like to see more, but hey, they have something just as good...tunnels!

Tim 'you're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me' West.

I just gotta say all the Pixies refrences right here are awesome.

Let's ride the tiger down the River Euphrates!

^^ Sadly, I agree. But as we've already pointed out, they almost have to do so in order to stay competitive.

^ Actually, I think going taller and faster than Goliath would work in SFMM's favor. The one type of coaster they don't have is a long, straight, airtime-filled coaster. At some point, I'd like to think that they would take advantage of the south and west sides of the park and incorporate something into that area. But we'll see.

Eric

Do you mean the area behind Riddler's leading up to and behind Terminator?

I always thought Goliath slowed down on the top of the lift for the effect. Because then you'd look down and be like HOLY CRAP! I guess not...

That happened after the girl died on the ride. Mid-course trims also got stronger after that. Not that the ride was that much better before hand. I always thought of Goliath as a mediocre hyper-coaster at best compared to the Intamin's and B&M's. Fun? Sure! And if you've never been on any of the other hypers, you're going to love it. But as most coaster enthusiasts goes, Millennium Force opened the same year as Goliath. It was no contest which was the better ride!

THAT explains why it wasn't as enjoyable when I went on it this year. I remember riding it before it was slowed, and it was a much better ride. The mid course brakes killed the ride in the front when I rode it in April. I understand that they had to change/alter the ride, does anyone have an article, or know why the girl died?

^ From Wikipedia:

Goliath

Main article: Goliath (Six Flags Magic Mountain)

* On June 2, 2001, a 28-year-old woman died of a brain aneurysm while riding Goliath. Her family sued the park, claiming that managers were aware of other complaints from Goliath riders and continued to still operate the coaster anyway.[42]

The trouble with an aneurysm is that it can go undetected for ages as there are not usually any symptoms. Unfortunately, rides with high g forces can aggravate them to the point of bursting as what happened in this case.

"Do you mean the area behind Riddler's leading up to and behind Terminator?" (John Knotts)

I was actually thinking of a coaster along the south boundary of the park (think from near Viper heading west past Roaring Rapids, around Deja Vu, behind Terminator, and heading north, possibly as far as Batman before the turnaround). One problem with such a layout is how the track would get back over the mountain to return to the starting point.

However, I do know that there are some other spots in the park where a good sized coaster could go. As we've seen in a few examples, ride designers and engineers can get very creative when need be.

Eric

However, I do know that there are some other spots in the park where a good sized coaster could go. As we've seen in a few examples, ride designers and engineers can get very creative when need be.

Eric

Its like when Tatsu was comming to the park. When word started circulating that the park was going to build the world's tallest and fastest flying coaster. I had literaly had no idea where they were going to put it.

I agree. Over the years I have adobted a fondness for Goliath, but it really can't compare to the other hypers out there mainly because it was designed to feature one set forces (positive Gs) and little else. I think back to all those "Goliath vs Millennium Force" fanboy threads and think "really"? Goliath isn't even it the same league. And it's just a big, clunky mess compared with the hypers that have opened since. lol

I dream of the day SFMM takes another crack at the hyper/giga genre, but there's really no logical reason they would. So, fingers crossed for Knotts!

I disagree with the quote above from J. Knotts that Goliath has only 1 set of positive G forces. Yes, that helix is intense. If you ride in the last car the negative G's in at least 2 parts of the ride are enormous! Millennium Force used to be my #1 steel (now #7), but in my opinion it has little airtime and hasn't been worked on or painted since 2000. "Big Dick" Kinzel has got to go! The ride has gotten quite rough in the back with a lot of lateral G's which I don't enjoy. For me the 1st and 3rd drops on Goliath give EXTREME AIRTIME in the rear. I guess you can call me the rear admiral..

Does SFMM own any of the land across from the park next to the parking lot? That would be cool to have it like millennium force where it goes onto another island. They could start the lift in the park, then onto the island?

That would be a pretty cool idea and it could bring some life back into that part of the park and Scream might get some love back.

-Andrew "Highly unlikely" Iorio

To my knowledge, Six Flags doesn't own any of the land across from the park. If they did, they could put in quite a resort. Sometimes I wonder if double decking at least part of the parking lot could shift enough of it over to allow room for park expansion---not unlike what Disney did to make room for DCA.

Eric

For me the 1st and 3rd drops on Goliath give EXTREME AIRTIME in the rear. I guess you can call me the rear admiral..

Until I got out of California I had no idea what airtime was. After riding El Toro and the Voyage within 1 week of each other, they successfully broke my infatuation with Goliath's "airtime". Granted I still love Goliath but in relation to other rides, it really has minimal airtime.

Speaking of the girl who died on Goliath, I was there in the park the day she died and I wanted to ride Goliath... I'm surprised I wasn't scarred for life! I guess the inner coaster addict has been there since I was born.

Looking at satellite images of the park there's definitely room for expansion. As to where they will put their next big ride, who knows. Oh and what ever happened to the plot across from the park where they were doing all of that land clearing?

Years ago, when Time Warner owned the park...they had a plan to create a Citywalk type property in the area that is now the failed office complex development at the bottom of Magic Mountain Parkway.

^ I've always wondered exactly what went in up there. Every time I've been out to SFMM, it looks like a building just sitting there. No traffic, no activity, nothing. It's too bad that Time Warner didn't snap it up. A good shopping/entertainment area would have been a gold mine.

Eric

Eric

Its like when Tatsu was coming to the park. When word started circulating that the park was going to build the world's tallest and fastest flying coaster. I had literally had no idea where they were going to put it.

There was a documentary a few years ago either on Discovery or History channel which chronicals the building and engineering of Tatsu.

Eric

Its like when Tatsu was comming to the park. When word started circulating that the park was going to build the world's tallest and fastest flying coaster. I had literaly had no idea where they were going to put it.

When they first announced Tatsu, and we saw where it was going I was excited. I thought we were FINALLY going to get an awesome terrain flying coaster (think something like Revolution, Gold Rusher or Ninja that hugs the terrain). What we got was a flyer built on TOP of a hill. Honestly, Tatsu could probably end up at any other park with a substantial amount of flat space. IMO, they REALLY missed the ball there. Good ride, but not as great as it could have been.

I think Tatsu is perfect and is what a flyer should be, flying hight above the park swooping turns, graceful inversions killer pretzel loop. I don't understand the people who think flying just a few feet from the ground on your face would be that exciting.

SFMM has plenty of room still inside the park for major addtions, using some creativity and the terrain that parks has they could make some amazing rides. I've heard they're putting the biggest tallest FIRST! on the Westcoast coaster in a spot that was once going to be used for a relocated kiddy coaster for 2012. unfortunately the rumore is not an Intamin. I hope it's true b/c imo it will look amazing in that sport while also bring life to the area and taking lines from Deja vu and Terminator.

I also think an Intamin plug n play between Viper and Roaring Rapids would be cool, as well as a giga running in the back of the park from deja vu/terminator down to Batman TR, could you imagine seeing that back there a huge giga more along the lines of Steel Dragon seeing nothing but airtime hill after airtime hill this would set it competely apart from Goliath.

Edited by Gigalyte