TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It's beautiful here right now, just a very light breeze. Last night was insanely windy...debating taking KT to the park today since she has the day off at school.

EDIT - It's now starting to get a bit windier...keep that in mind when heading to the park today. In other news, I don't think we'll be heading out...forgot I need to pack for IAAPA!

Edited by SharkTums

It really hasn't been that windy here today. It was really bad driving through orange county this morning

Still because of the possible gusts x2, scream, and deejays vu were closed. Unrelated to weather, Goliath has fallen short of the top of the lift hill twice today that I've seen but we are currently in line so my little monkey can get her first ride on it. I hope she doesn't talk herself out of it.

She's a huge fan of terminator now that she finally hit 48" and she can't wait for WCB.

Still because of the possible gusts x2, scream, and deejays vu were closed.

I believe Deejays Vu is closed because it doesn't have a train on the track, not cause of winds.

Good thing I didn't go today, I'm not willing to drive out unless I know I can get a ride on X2, otherwise, the trip just don't feel right to me. Will probably go Sunday instead, I'm guessing the crowds will be low.

I've never been to SFMM on Thanksgiving Day, but have been on Black Friday. The crowds were bigger than I thought, though not terrible. In fact, I'm thinking of taking a run out there on that day. SFMM closes at 6 that day, but it should be plenty of time to get a decent amount of rides.

Eric

Still because of the possible gusts x2, scream, and deejays vu were closed.

I believe Deejays Vu is closed because it doesn't have a train on the track, not cause of winds.

Good thing I didn't go today, I'm not willing to drive out unless I know I can get a ride on X2, otherwise, the trip just don't feel right to me. Will probably go Sunday instead, I'm guessing the crowds will be low.

Lol well thats very true, and I of course know its Deja Vu, but my Android phone wanted to call it Deejays I guess. Scream did end up opening at about 3pm, but I never got over there to ride it and the little one cant. I try to avoid taking rides on things she can't get on yet when I'm with her, but I did indulge in some Tatsu and Riddler's greatness today.

Overall a great ride day in the park. After the nightmare of riding Ghostrider at Knotts a couple weeks ago it was really nice to get a ride on a couple of woodies that don't make it hard to turn my head for a couple weeks.

My eight year old had an excellent day and got to experience four new coasters today, its the first time she's been since hitting that wonderful 48" mark. She started off with a classic, Revolution (#19), then Terminator (#20), Goldrusher (#21 and even she hates it), then a great ride on Colossus for number 22, though we had the bad luck of being in the queue when they decided they really did need to run 2 trains today and it took about 40 minutes before anyone new was boarded on either train. Then for #23 and right at sunset, Goliath. We then went for rides in the dark of Colossus in the front and then Terminator and she agrees its even better at night.

20sm.jpg.1e3760f967f9189a42f04e3682423789.jpg

#20 Coaster, Terminator Salvation!

22sm.thumb.jpg.3cd56718a9fc4bf16dd5427fc59ea811.jpg

#22 "I am not a crook!" Colossus

23sm.thumb.jpg.581dbd86370425470cb3dc3f48acca14.jpg

23 Goliath, though we didn't get to ride then because of what happened below for the second time today that we saw....

goliathstallsm.jpg.76de4f256e75d4bc83ae9e650a715696.jpg

Awww it didn't make the whole lift hill again...

Oh and did I forget to mention Superman's paint job update!?

suptowersm.thumb.jpg.308a9e13de025b1ba6c4cff251032def.jpg

Hrm... through the trees while on Goldrusher... is that blue, why yes it is.

SupBluesm.thumb.jpg.c6ac5fa196daf9133a7e824da4d8bdef.jpg

As zoomed in as my crappy camera can get. Definitely blue going up on that tower, though it was way too breezy for them to paint today.

What would it take for them to build one little dark ride? A nuclear holocaust?

I love coasters but I'm a huge dark ride freak and I think it's just disgusting that the two roller coaster capitals of the world make no attempt at just ONE darkride at their "theme" or "amusement" parks. I loved the pirate ride at CP if for no other reason, it was the only attempt at theming there. Concrete jungles of coasters - ehhh nah. However, what else can you expect from CF and SF

^The thing is, how do you really market that to SF's audience? A darkride, even if it's one of those cool Sally Dark Ride Shooters, doesn't really pull in SFMM's teen audience as much as another roller coaster. Hell, that's the reason why Metro hasn't gotten any closer to rebirth, and the reason why we probably don't see as many flats as we should.

Cedar Point, on the other hand, just seems to have a natural aversion to building something indoors. Which makes sense, given their spectacular location. I know that's probably one of a gazillion factors, but it's the first thing that came to my mind. (Notable Exception: Disaster Transport)

^^ I'm pretty sure that after the failure that Thomas Town was, that will be the last investment you'll see them make in family rides anytime soon. I have a feeling if that Roller Skater wasn't already on site AND they were going after the "most coasters" record, it probably would have gone to a different park.

--Robb

^ It's sister does pretty much the same thing @ SFOT, and as a bonus, practically stops you in the MCBR, so if your in the front, you feel like you are going to fall out the left hand side as the track makes an immediate left hand turn off the BR. On occassion, it's gets stuck in the MCBR and they have to give it some encouragement.

I have to agree with Robb about "Six Flags Magic Mountain---The FAMILY Park!" Nice try, but with too many years of adding coaster after coaster, then putting minimal money into "family" attractions (like the noted Thomas Town), the park is going to find more success going back to the big thrills. Disneyland and, to some extent, Knott's have the "family" niche covered in the SoCal area.

Eric

I always thought Goliath slowed down on the top of the lift for the effect. Because then you'd look down and be like HOLY CRAP! I guess not...

That happened after the girl died on the ride. Mid-course trims also got stronger after that. Not that the ride was that much better before hand. I always thought of Goliath as a mediocre hyper-coaster at best compared to the Intamin's and B&M's. Fun? Sure! And if you've never been on any of the other hypers, you're going to love it. But as most coaster enthusiasts goes, Millennium Force opened the same year as Goliath. It was no contest which was the better ride!

Edited by robbalvey

What would it take for them to build one little dark ride? A nuclear holocaust?

I love coasters but I'm a huge dark ride freak and I think it's just disgusting that the two roller coaster capitals of the world make no attempt at just ONE darkride at their "theme" or "amusement" parks. I loved the pirate ride at CP if for no other reason, it was the only attempt at theming there. Concrete jungles of coasters - ehhh nah. However, what else can you expect from CF and SF

Actually...Disaster Transport is a dark ride, so there, you have your dark ride. I would like to see more, but hey, they have something just as good...tunnels!

Tim 'you're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me' West.