TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

X2: #2, 9/10

X2 is the future of roller coasters. Such an original ride that I really, really want to give it a 10/10. The layout is fantastic and the first drop is one of the best in the world in my opinion. The only thing that keeps me from giving this ride the highest possible score is the roughness... Both of my rides were in the first car inner seat. But even here, there was a consistent rattle the approached something quite painful in the bottom of the second raven turn. I'm going to be honest: I didn't even dare to ride this in the back row. But in spite of the roughness I was totally blown away on both of my rides. This coaster is really unlike anything else I have ever been one. I hope to see more of these. Please don't let this design die!

I loveeeeeed X2. It's too bad you didn't try the back. I didn't find it really too much rougher than the front, but that issue aside the first drop makes it totally worth it. The speed you're at when it flips at the bottom had me up on top of the hump of the seat every time. One of the most intense coaster experiences I've had.

Nice review coaster1000. Personally, I've never had an excessively rough ride on X2, in any seat, but I know that enough posters on here have to realize there must be something to the reports of roughness. Tim Burkhart has mentioned before that you'll get the smoothest ride if you put a heavier rider on an outside seat and a lighter rider on an inside seat. The fact that I'm just over 250 lbs may account for my smoother rides. Other than that, my opinions of the coasters at SFMM are similar to yours. I'm a little more gentle in my criticism of Goldrusher than you were, but that's mainly because it holds some nostalgia for me, and the fact that it's quite a different experience in the dark during WCB ERT.

I ride X2 on the outside most of the time and I don't think its really all that rough. It can be smoother sure, but it isn't that bad.

Agreed about Gold Rusher at night. Totally different ride. Although it doesn't pack the big thrill that other coasters at SFMM do, its really cool to be going past trees and being near the terrain in near complete darkness. Same thing with Ninja.

^Yeah, Gold Rusher's a pretty fun ride, but I would only ride it if it were a station wait or less.

I've been on X2 once, and it was absolutely crazy. I'm a pretty big guy, and I sat in the back row. I expected it to be rough, but it wasn't so bad for me. The only part that really jolted me was the raven turn at the end. It was almost like trying to stay on a mechanical bull, and failing miserably. Overall, X2 is the craziest and most intense ride in the park, but I have to say that for overall experience, Tatsu is my favorite coaster in the park. Its smooth and fluid maneuvers set it apart from any other coaster I've ridden.

^ The second raven turn on X2 is my least favorite part of the ride. While I've had a few "rough-ish" rides on X2, I will continue to say that X2's new trains have smoothed out the overall ride over the old ones on X.

Ninja is indeed a great ride at night. My first ever ride on a suspended coaster was on Ninja at night and was so crazy that I rode it three more times after that. That was when it first opened in 1988.

Eric

I go many times a year and I think I've only seen it operating once , I always see the sky coaster in motion but Thrill Shot is always just sitting there.

There are so many different flat rides that could replace thrill shot SFMM acts as if they've never heard of any of them lol If Thrill shot comes down it will be because SFMM has figured out a way to put a coaster station in its spot

Thrill Shot just never really seemed to catch on at the park. I got several rides in on it right after it opened (SFMM was hosting an event and it was free that night) and frankly the thing terrified me. I'm not much of a fan of heights and that was just higher then I was happy going. The ride seemed like a good idea and I wonder if we would have seen more of them if not for the accident at Cedar Point.

^You're thinking of a Sling Shot. This ride is a bit different; although using the same concept of being slung in the air, this ride:

1) Has 3 towers instead of 2

2) Has a different launch system and

3) Hasn't had any accidents involving people being injured or killed. The only major accident on this type of ride involved a tower collapsing on the one that was as Cedar Point in 2002.

In all the years I've been going to SFMM, I've only seen TS run once or twice and that was at least 5-6 years ago. I feel that a conventional drop tower would fit a lot better there and would be a LOT less sketchy than the launch system. Also, drop towers get a lot of business. If you look at Supreme Scream for example, even when it's running only one tower it gets a constant flow of riders. Oh yeah, and its free