TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ This "new" themed area could be a Gotham City makeover in the works. It wouldn't be a bad idea to freshen up that area a bit---perhaps even merge the so called Movie District (where Riddler's Revenge is) with Gotham City and create a huge superhero area. With Tidal Wave's rumored demise in the near future, that area and the former Freefall area could open up some possibilities with the available space there.

Eric

Alright im reporting in as i will be making the 5 hour drive down to LA for fright fest and some friends and I will be down there until sunday, yes we have been waiting all year and here we go I LOVE FRIGHT FEST hope to see some of you around

^ This "new" themed area could be a Gotham City makeover in the works. It wouldn't be a bad idea to freshen up that area a bit---perhaps even merge the so called Movie District (where Riddler's Revenge is) with Gotham City and create a huge superhero area. With Tidal Wave's rumored demise in the near future, that area and the former Freefall area could open up some possibilities with the available space there.

Eric

I was at SFMM last weekend, and although I didn't take a picture, I did notice that the "GOTHAM CITY" sign has been removed from the entrance to the Gotham City Backlot. Obviously I don't know why the sign was missing, but this would seem to only confirm a new theme to me...of course I'm only speculating here...

But I would love to see a DC Comics area made here using Batman, Riddler, and Green Lantern! Too bad Superman's up on top of Samurai Summit, because it would only make sense to have Superman in a DC Comics themed area (if in fact that were to happen).

Actually, a thought just occured to me...Tidal Wave could be renamed as Aquaman!

^ If Tidal Wave is removed, they'll theme the area as Davey Jones' L.o.c.k.e.r (without the periods, of course. ). Funny, I was at SFMM last month and could have sworn I saw the Gotham City Backlot sign still there. But maybe I've become so accustomed to seeing it that I assumed it was there when in fact it was gone.

Eric

Actually, a thought just occured to me...Tidal Wave could be renamed as Aquaman!

The way licensing works you can't just go around slapping new signs and character names on the rides. I've just recently finished work on a project with DC Comics and everything you do has to be approved by them.

And sure, they *could* look into it, but I'm not even sure DC would approve the license for a 21-year old, nearly taken out, sorta beat-up water ride. It would probably need quite a re-theme for that to happen.

Here's something else that no one has mentioned from the video - no mention of the Percy coaster.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

The way licensing works you can't just go around slapping new signs and character names on the rides. I've just recently finished work on a project with DC Comics and everything you do has to be approved by them.

And sure, they *could* look into it, but I'm not even sure DC would approve the license for a 21-year old, nearly taken out, sorta beat-up water ride. It would probably need quite a re-theme for that to happen.

I know. I was actually just joking about it

Here's something else that no one has mentioned from the video - no mention of the Percy coaster.

They mentioned Canyon Blaster and Wile E. Coyote for 1999, with the later being a former name of Percy. Maybe they plan on rebranding it back (along with the rest of that area).

I noticed nothing was said about Percy and wondered about it, but figured that since it is a many-times renamed/rethemed coaster, and not a new one, no mention of it was necessary.

Which made me think about 2001 when the park supposedly got "three" new coasters. Deja Vu and X were new, but Goliath Jr. was just the third theme for that old Bradley and Kaye kiddie coaster (which supposedly dates back to 1947---I read somewhere that Newhall Land & Farming and SeaWorld bought it from an old L.A. area kiddieland when the park was being built).

Eric

So, I changed my plans and will be going on Sunday instead of Friday... (Posted it earlier. Not that I expect you to remember that!)

How have the crowds been lately? Are Sundays bad?

I've considered getting a Flash Pass. But I've heard that they need your passport or something similar until you return it. Is that... true?

I know that Superman will be closed for sure, how about the other coasters?

Sorry for bombarding you all with questions.

I went Sunday, the week before last; it was a great day with over 20 rides (combined).

We got there at 10:45 and went the backwards route (opposite of the GP).. headed to Goliath/Colossus/Scream/Batman/Riddler. Then headed back toward the front to Viper/Revolution/Ninja/X2. Then back around to Terminator, and a repeat of Batman/Riddler/etc.

Unless you get there before opening, do not go to X2.. the line will be huge. When we went on X2 in the afternoon, we rode twice without going through the queue again, after waiting only five minutes to ride it anyway.

If you can search my username for my trip report, it'll have more info.

But don't worry about a flashpass. We were done by six and ended up leaving to grab dinner.

We got EVERY coaster in.. (except for kiddie rides..).

I have ridden Aera 19 during the daytime and it was alright. They just theme the queue to be like Aera 51. And the on-board audio is different, during the actually ride part the play Let the Bodies hit the Floor by Drowning Pool, which I think fits the ride better than Beastie Boys. They might have other stuff at night.