TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Be careful with your wording. Sierra FALLS is the ride rumored to be leaving. Sierra Twist was the Bayern Curve (I believe!).

In my original post I was referring to the old Swiss Twist, which I think they changed the name to Sierra Twist, before they removed it years ago, and that was the vacant spot I was referring to, not Sierra Falls.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Recaptures Coveted World Record of More Coasters than Any Other Theme Park on the Planet!

sfmm_2011_1.jpg

THREE New Coaster Experiences for 2011

Valencia, CA, October 20, 2010 /PRNewswire/ — Six Flags Magic Mountain, in celebration of 40 years of thrill ride innovation, today announced an unprecedented year of capital expansions with three new roller coaster experiences slated for the Valencia theme park in 2011. With these additions, Six Flags Magic Mountain regains the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown - with a total of 18 roller coasters – more than any other theme park on the planet.

Adding to the Park’s “thrills for all ages” coaster dynasty are two unique coaster experiences: the GREEN LANTERN coaster, designed for the bravest of thrill seekers, is a first-in-the-U.S. vertical track, spinning coaster; and the park’s popular SUPERMAN The Escape will fly again in spring 2011 as SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton, taking the record-breaking 100-mph-in-seven-seconds feature and elevating it to the next level of extreme by reversing the direction of the vehicles and sending riders backwards . In addition to those two exciting rides, a new thrill-seeker-in-training coaster, designed for the entire family, will premiere as well.

“Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in next generation thrills. And, bar none, Six Flags Magic Mountain leads the pack, offering the biggest and the best,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain Park President. “As we mark our 40th anniversary of operation, we’re ready to take Southern California by storm with the most comprehensive collection of thrilling roller coasters anywhere in the world.”

sfmm_2011_2_0.jpg

Reaching far beyond traditional thrills, the DC Comics Super Hero GREEN LANTERN will focus the might of his Power Ring and take the coaster riding experience to another galaxy with the GREEN LANTERN coaster. Fearless riders will brave a never-been-done-before completely VERTICAL zigzag pattern sitting in eight-person vehicles, four abreast and back-to-back, each rotating independently. The two-minute thrill begins with riders going up the 107-foot lift hill before spinning their way down through 825-feet of twisted vertical track, featuring three, 360-degree head-over-heel spins. The GREEN LANTERN coaster will be located in the newly themed section of the park.

Guardians of peace and justice, the GREEN LANTERN CORPS is a group of intergalactic police officers charged with the protection of the universe. A GREEN LANTERN must be someone who has the fortitude and willpower to overcome great fear. Recognized as the greatest member of the GREEN LANTERN CORPS, HAL JORDAN was the first Earthman ever inducted into the Corps. and also became a founding member of the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA. Green Lanterns are outfitted with a weapon unlike any other in existence, a ring that channels pure willpower in the form of solid green energy that can manifest any construct the bearer imagines. First published by DC Comics in 1941, GREEN LANTERN currently appears in over 100 comic books distributed worldwide annually. GREEN LANTERN has also appeared in Warner Bros. animation, home videos and interactive games, and will star in his first feature film, “Green Lantern,” from Warner Bros. Pictures, starring Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively slated for release June 17, 2011.

Designed and engineered exclusively for Six Flags Magic Mountain by Intamin, the GREEN LANTERN coaster

is the perfect addition to the park’s coaster collection, joining other adrenaline-pumping coasters, including the tallest, fastest and longest flying coaster in the world, Tatsu; the world’s first and only 5th dimensional coaster, X2; the next generation of wooden coasters, Terminator® Salvation™: The Ride; and mega coaster Goliath. The GREEN LANTERN coaster will make its debut in spring 2011.

“Six Flags Magic Mountain personifies the powerful thrills our parks have offered for 50 years,” said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and CEO of Six Flags Entertainment Corporation. “The GREEN LANTERN coaster is a tremendous addition and brings a new dimension of excitement to the park’s already remarkable coaster collection. In addition, we’re fortunate to be able to partner with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment to bring together two powerhouse brands.”

sfmm_2011_3.jpg

Unlike traditional coasters, SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton will blast riders at 100 mph backwards in newly-designed sleeker cars on a dual track that spans 900 feet and looms 415 feet in the air, forming a gigantic “L” shaped superstructure. Riders will hang face first with a birds-eye-view of the entire Santa Clarita Valley before plummeting back down to earth. SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton will launch in early 2011.

“Since it opened in 1995, SUPERMAN The Escape, with its prototype Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM) sending riders on a 100 mph journey straight up its 41-story tower, has been one of the most popular thrill rides on the planet,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain Park President. “With the redesign of the cars and turning them backwards, SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton will take even the most daring riders on a journey to a unique and unchartered dimension of extreme that only Six Flags Magic Mountain can deliver.”

For those who like milder thrills, the all-new kid’s coaster is designed for the entire family. The steel coaster is 679 feet long with a 28-foot lift hill, reaching speeds up to 21 miles-per-hour. A single train features eight cars where riders sit two across in a single row for a total of 16 riders for the just under one minute ride duration. It will debut in the spring and will be located adjacent to Bugs Bunny World.

Guests can experience this epic year of thrills, the GREEN LANTERN, SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton and the new kid’s coaster, by purchasing a 2011 Thrill Pass. On sale now, Six Flags Magic Mountain’s new season pass program, Thrill Pass, is designed to bring the millions of thrill-seeking Southern California consumers the best value-priced entertainment package!

For the lowest price of the season, just $59.99, guests who purchase the new Thrill Pass can enjoy the Thrill Park all day, every operating day, for 15 months, now – through the end of the 2011 season - with no blackout dates. Plus, as an unprecedented, limited time offer, guests who purchase four Thrill Passes will receive four 2011 Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Season Passes absolutely free! Thrill Passes can be purchased online at sixflags.com or at the park’s Main Gate ticket booths.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is located at 26101 Magic Mountain Parkway, in Valencia, north of Los Angeles off Interstate 5 at the Magic Mountain Parkway exit. The Park is currently open Friday through Sunday for Fright Fest. For information call (661) 255-4111 or visit us online at sixflags.com.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is a leading operator of regional theme parks with 19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Six Flags Over Texas, the company’s flagship location, was founded in 1961 and will mark its 50th anniversary season in 2011.

About Warner Bros. Consumer Products

Warner Bros. Consumer Products, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is one of the leading licensing and retail merchandising organizations in the world.

About DC Entertainment

DC Entertainment, home to such iconic DC Comics properties as Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash, MAD Magazine and Fables, is a creative division charged with strategically integrating across Warner Bros. and Time Warner. DC Entertainment works in concert with many key Warner Bros. divisions to unleash its super-heroic characters across all media, including but not limited to film, television, consumer products, home entertainment and interactive games. Publishing over 1,000 comic books, graphic novels and magazines each year, DC Comics is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world.

DC SUPER HEROES and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics.

LOONEY TUNES, and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and ã Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

(s10)

Promotional Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQ_lZ5n10w

More Photos:

46421-hi-greenlantern.jpg

thumb_46421-hi-supermanredcar.jpg

For those of you who have had the chance to ride a Zac-Spin, how is the ride in terms of causing motion sickness? Just watching the videos makes me feel a little dizzy.

I rode it 4 or 5 times during ERT at Grona Lund, and felt OK--some rides were tamer than others.

For those of you who have had the chance to ride a Zac-Spin, how is the ride in terms of causing motion sickness? Just watching the videos makes me feel a little dizzy.

Well, I will say this...

During our ERT session on Insane we had two members get nose bleeds, one of them pass out, and another one vomit!!!

It was THAT insane!!!

Now granted, the park was ALLOWING us to load the ride completely unbalanced to test the limits of the ride and TPR members...and apparently INSANE WON!!!

I will say this - I'm not sure how the park is going to control balancing the ride, but if they put like two 300-lb guys on one side and two 12 year old girls on the other...those girls will be dead!

But seriously, when the ride is even just a little off-balanced (and the same can be said for ANY free-spinning ride), you can have an OMFG RIDE OF YOUR LIFE!!!

But if the ride is "perfectly balanced", you may not even go upside down once.

Again, it's the same thing with Tony Hawk or any spinning ride of that nature.

--Robb "The luck is in the weight distribution." Alvey

Well, I will say this...

During our ERT session on Insane we had two members get nose bleeds, one of them pass out, and another one vomit!!!

It was THAT insane!!!

This is exactly what makes my nards shrivel up when I think about riding one of these...

Does anyone know the reason why they can't just decide on a name for the kid's coaster? Seems so strange to let fly with the big announcement and still not have a name/theme for that ride, right?

It's interesting, the rumor about the removal of Sierra Falls. I know I have seen the entrance, but I guess I had no idea what it is. Do you ride the tubes in a raft, do you get really wet? Agree with Robb that most people have no idea it's there, as I've been to the park a bunch (in the past) and never even thought about it.

I guess that "most coasters" title is at least one that can be quantified - so the parks DO care about being able to throw that on a banner/website. I've laughed when I've gone to parks, like Great America in Gurnee, where they claim to have the "cleanest park".

Does anyone know the reason why they can't just decide on a name for the kid's coaster? Seems so strange to let fly with the big announcement and still not have a name/theme for that ride, right?

This is just speculation, but now knowing that it's going to be located in the Bugs Bunny World section, I am assuming that they probably have not secured either the final name or the approval from the licensor for the final name.

As someone who works with licensed properties all the time (heck I just finished a game that included Green Lantern!), sometimes character license approvals take time.

I'm also going to make the assumption that the two DC Comics rides were higher on the priority list than the "kids coaster" and thus they focused their efforts on getting the names for those two rides sorted out first.

--Robb

I hope ths Zac SPin is as good as Insane looks and these things really take off in America. They look like such a cool ride on a small footprint that a lot of parks could really make work. Id love to eventually see an indoor themed Zacspin. Now if we could only get a Gerstlauer Bobsled in America....

Will this mean that Superman :TE will duel again? And that it'll launch at full speed like in the beginning?

I heard they didn't let both tracks duel because the cost is too high. I wonder how this will change. Maybe the trains are lighter and thus it takes less power to launch the trains?

After going on the Road to Cedar Point TPR trip next August and knocking out some of the big East Coast and Midwest Parks...My next trip has to be to get out to the West Coast and get to SFMM! The park looks AMAZING

Well, if you can hold off a year, it looks like we may do another West Coast Trip in 2012....and with what looks like might be going on at knotts for 2012...you might want to wait a year!

--Robb

^ That would be a trip I am interested in for sure after visiting the West Coast this past summer, I would love to do it TPR Style!

Back on topic though, I am very impressed with this announcement. All the changes and additions look to be quite interesting and having 3 new experiences will have draw crowds away a bit from other attractions such as X2.

I do have to wonder if CP does indeed have anything up their sleeve for 2012 or if they will just strive for quality vs quantity?