TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I don't really think this is that huge of an investment on the part of Six Flags. If you think about it, they're really only paying 7 million for Green Lantern (based on the cost of Insane), maybe a million for the Superman refurbishment, and then a little more for the re-located kiddie coaster.

To be technical, isn't it 19 coasters as Colossus is clearly two different tracks? Just wondering.

It's just 18, Colossus only counts as a single coaster.

I find that interesting just because Six Flags Great America counts American Eagle as 2.

And in all honesty, the one thing that Magic Mountain needs is rides with good airtime. Not more loops and spins.

I don't "Airtime" is something that will get more attention from the General public. I think gimmicks are what bring people to the park. Most visitors run to rides that feature outrageous designs like X2 and Tatsu.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a coaster with airtime at the mountain, but I just don't see how that would be a more successful investment than what they are doing right now.

I checked closely in the animation, and it looks like Tidal Wave is staying, you can see in the video (picture below, it's blurred but you can sorta make out Tidal Wave) that it is in the location of the former freefall ride.

Just speaking that renderings can change...at Canada's Wonderland for example the animation for the new Windseeker shows the ride Jet Scream still there, when in fact it's already been closed an announce officially to be removed for the 2011 season. So, always take renderings as a rough idea.

Back on to the announcement though, I just made it to SFMM for the first time this past summer and now I gotta say, I wanna go back next summer. I am intruiged with the ZacSpin...not "thrilled" but something I would like to experience.

So is this is the reason SFMM Facebook page has been put on lock the wall posting has been disabled. I guess b/c their big announcement has been leaked.

I can not believe SFMM will be the first park in the USA with a Zacspin I can not wait to ride this machine. I also love the theme and the location is perfect. Hopefully this will lead to future Intamins being installed they should replace Tidal wave with a Mega Splash

Superman looks great too! I didn't think I'd like the tower being painted but it looks awesome, the cars look great and if it goes that high up the tower then wholly barf bags Batman my stomach might just fly out of my face.

^^^^^^ Technically, they are only putting in ONE new Thrill ride.....they are refurbishing another, and the third is a kiddie ride....the main focus for the park next year, in advertising, will be Green Lantern and a "new" Superman adventure, the( I believe yet to be truly named), "Kids Coaster" will just be the icing on the cake. As for the layout of Green Lantern, what the video shows could be the actual layout, or the person who created it could have just thrown in the standard "Insane" layout, and it could be something totally different in the end.

For those of you bigger guys worrying...don't!

We got some really big guys on Insane in Sweden so it shouldn't be a problem. Guys that did not get on an Intamin T-Bar Hyper DID get on Insane. I'd say if you can use the Intamin OTSR's you'll be fine on it.

^I don't really think this is that huge of an investment on the part of Six Flags. If you think about it, they're really only paying 7 million for Green Lantern (based on the cost of Insane), maybe a million for the Superman refurbishment, and then a little more for the re-located kiddie coaster.

But it sets the stage for enthusi"ass" bitching when SFMM doesn't get a new coaster in 2012 or 2013. Enthusiasses have short term memories.

BTW, just because I love the Intamin ZacSpins so much here's a nice picture of one of the cars so you guys who have not experienced one yet can get an idea...

And yes, my face is pretty much "WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!"

Amazing ride...and nice riding company as well!

I guess I missed it, but where is the Kiddie Coaster going?

Also, a bit off topic but any idea if any of the parts from Flashback/Z-Force were saved? I'm specifically wondering about the cars...and also wondering if they have/are planning to put anything in Flashback's old footprint?

Great news for the park, overall! Interesting how concerned they are with having the "title" - they must have done some research that shows that more than just "enthusiasts" care about such a thing, right?

Can't wait to get back to the park, still haven't been on Tatsu, X2 OR Terminator - so the new stuff for next year will make for a busy day for when I do make it back!!

I guess I missed it, but where is the Kiddie Coaster going?

By Terminator and Deja Vu.

Also, a bit off topic but any idea if any of the parts from Flashback/Z-Force were saved? I'm specifically wondering about the cars...and also wondering if they have/are planning to put anything in Flashback's old footprint?

This will answer you first question:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/sfmmdvdparty/sfmmdvdparty3.htm

From a coaster enthusiast standpoint...this is an awesome investment. From a business standpoint, this is a bad investment. Realistically, these additions/improvements should have been made over the course of a few years. Putting multiple thrill rides in one year is what buried Six Flags in debt in the first place. It would have been a better idea to renovate Superman and add the kid coaster this year and in two years add the Green Lantern. I just hope that this is not the new "Six Flags" trend. I don't want to see them go under for good. And in all honesty, the one thing that Magic Mountain needs is rides with good airtime. Not more loops and spins.

The Kiddie Coaster is already paid for. The land is already somewhat cleared (assuming it's still going near Deja Vu). For Superman, you double whatever was paid for Tower of Terror II down under (but without the tunnel). If Green Lantern goes where Freefall was, the land is already somewhat cleared.

Also, a bit off topic but any idea if any of the parts from Flashback/Z-Force were saved? I'm specifically wondering about the cars...

WARNING!!!

YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO VIEW THESE NEXT PHOTOS!!!

Here is what they did to Flashback:

"HOORAY!!! THE DRAGON HAS BEEN SLAIN!!!"