TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Very interesting...I hope this means the ride won't be ear splitting loud anymore to walk under!

The noise of the car does not comes from the ride wheels, but from the center rail of the track. The noise WILL NOT go away until the center rail that runs along the track is removed, and it won't ever be, as it controls the lateral movement of the car.

First, it won't be even close to that speed since they start braking well before the tunnel.

The ToT ride has an extended tunnel that goes all the way to the end of the launch track. I believe that is what he was talking about. It would be AWESOME, no doubt, if SFMM did the same with Superman.

Edited by kf2010

From the La times

Fright Fest at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Six Flags Magic Mountain will add a new maze, a new scare zone and two new shows for Fright Fest 2010.

The Valencia amusement park will also offer some extreme Halloween treats, including coasters in the dark, an alienated X2 and my all-time favorite: Colossus backwards.

Highlights of Fright Fest 2010:

Haunted mazes

* Bite II (New for 2010) — A haven of the sexy and sinister undead (Samurai Summit)

* Lector’s Slaughterhouse — A celebrity butcher exacts revenge (Gotham City Backlot)

* The Asylum — Pitch-black insanity in the dark (Near Mooseburger Lodge)

* Escape of the Zombies — A dumping ground of twisted creations and failed experiments (Tidal Wave queue)

* Willoughby’s Haunted Mansion — A haunted house of terror and dread (Samurai Summit near the Ninja coaster)

* Jokester’s Hideout 3D — Sideshow clowns run amok (former Flashback coaster location)

* Warehouse 13 — An inescapable toxic warehouse (Logjammer queue)

Scare zones

* Camp Gonnagetcha (New for 2010) — A haunted trek through a fog-shrouded campground (near Roaring Rapids)

* City Under Siege — Comic characters escape from the insane asylum (Gotham City Backlot)

* Exile Hill — The dead haunt the grounds of Willoughby Estate (Samurai Summit)

Shows

* Dr. Fright’s Roc Zombie (New for 2010) — Rock ‘n Roll Halloween-style (High Sierra Stage)

* High Sierra Hypnotist (New for 2010) — Mark Yuzuik and Suzy Haner hypnotize audience members (Golden Bear Theater)

* Six-Foot Under Club — DJ dance party (Entrance Plaza)

* Heckles and Twitch Show — Dark humor from the offbeat and irreverent clown duo (Gotham City Backlot)

* Dead & Local – Local bands live on stage (Carousel Bandstand near the fountain)

* gRave — DJ dance party (Gotham City Backlot)

* Spooktacular Street Party (throughout the park)

Rides

* X2: Area 19 (New for 2010) — Aliens take over the coaster queue

* Colossus backwards — A Fright Fest tradition on the stalwart wooden coaster

* Coasters in the dark — Terminator Salvation, X2, Tatsu, Batman, Viper, Riddler’s Revenge and Goliath with the lights out

* Thumper Bumpers — Rock music and disco lighting on the Sandblasters bumper cars

Southern California parks really have some good competition for their Halloween events, and I'd think that having to work for market share would drive each park to do their best. Hopefully with Knott's and Universal doing events that have been so much better in the past, Six Flags would be willing to lay out a bit more to up what they offer.

Eric

Somebody say headchopper? (Refer to last posted picture)

If the center rail is responsible for all the noise, then why not change the wheels to something quieter or somehow insulate the rail? They won't do it but that's how you could cut down on some of the ear splitting.

I think because there would be a higher maintenance cost to change it, especially switching to rubber center rail wheels.

As for the hauntings, that sounds like some cool mazes. Can they really have mazes going through ride lines?

From the La times

Six Flags Magic Mountain will add a new maze, a new scare zone and two new shows for Fright Fest 2010.

The Valencia amusement park will also offer some extreme Halloween treats, including coasters in the dark, an alienated X2 and my all-time favorite: Colossus backwards.

Highlights of Fright Fest 2010:

Haunted mazes

* Bite II (New for 2010) — A haven of the sexy and sinister undead (Samurai Summit)

* Lector’s Slaughterhouse — A celebrity butcher exacts revenge (Gotham City Backlot)

* The Asylum — Pitch-black insanity in the dark (Near Mooseburger Lodge)

* Escape of the Zombies — A dumping ground of twisted creations and failed experiments (Tidal Wave queue)

* Willoughby’s Haunted Mansion — A haunted house of terror and dread (Samurai Summit near the Ninja coaster)

* Jokester’s Hideout 3D — Sideshow clowns run amok (former Flashback coaster location)

* Warehouse 13 — An inescapable toxic warehouse (Logjammer queue)

Scare zones

* Camp Gonnagetcha (New for 2010) — A haunted trek through a fog-shrouded campground (near Roaring Rapids)

* City Under Siege — Comic characters escape from the insane asylum (Gotham City Backlot)

* Exile Hill — The dead haunt the grounds of Willoughby Estate (Samurai Summit)

Shows

* Dr. Fright’s Roc Zombie (New for 2010) — Rock ‘n Roll Halloween-style (High Sierra Stage)

* High Sierra Hypnotist (New for 2010) — Mark Yuzuik and Suzy Haner hypnotize audience members (Golden Bear Theater)

* Six-Foot Under Club — DJ dance party (Entrance Plaza)

* Heckles and Twitch Show — Dark humor from the offbeat and irreverent clown duo (Gotham City Backlot)

* Dead & Local – Local bands live on stage (Carousel Bandstand near the fountain)

* gRave — DJ dance party (Gotham City Backlot)

* Spooktacular Street Party (throughout the park)

Rides

* X2: Area 19 (New for 2010) — Aliens take over the coaster queue

* Colossus backwards — A Fright Fest tradition on the stalwart wooden coaster

* Coasters in the dark — Terminator Salvation, X2, Tatsu, Batman, Viper, Riddler’s Revenge and Goliath with the lights out

* Thumper Bumpers — Rock music and disco lighting on the Sandblasters bumper cars

This is certainly my favorite time of year to visit SFMM. I can't wait to check out Fright Fest again next month! Area 19 in the X2 coaster queue sounds pretty cool too.

I'm thinking of going to SFMM during Fright Fest in the beginning of October. The last time I went during Fright Fest Goliath was new, so its been awhile. Anyway, I know Fright Fest is only Friday-Sunday so I was curious about how the crowds will be during Fright Fest in early October on Friday or a Sunday (I dont want to try a Saturday).

Thanks for any info.

^ When I visited the first weekend of Fright Fest last year, during the day the crowds were not too bad. After the festivities started that night from what I recall, Terminator, Goliath, and Batman had lines. In other parts of the park away from scare zones and such it was pretty dead and I was able to walk right on the rides. On X2, Viper, and Revolution, I was able to get quite a few night rides.

I hope this was helpful.

I know some people will not like this comment but simply put what the big deal really of turning the car around? Its still the same ride just reversed forces and views. It is a smart project to reinvent the ride as a cost savings plan, however the park is lacking in so many areas as it relates to flat rides.

Having worked in an industry where time studies and people/equipment flow is critical, I think the parks especially my home park of MM which I do like very much needs to look at a true balance of the park. For the large coasters we have and will potentially have in the future, I think at minimum at least 10 fairly sized flats should be added, to counter balance the lines on coasters, flow of traffic as it opens around the park.

Even if we get superman with both sides running and reach its max desired speed, the potential for this ride to last as an attention grabber will die off fast as it is just the same ride it originally was. Unless and i am hoping the do a true makeover as X did when turning into X2.

I'm hopeful and waiting to see the mountains potential as to their announcement and plans. But from seeing how the ride first opened and was received and watching it become less and less as the months and years went on, I don't see this is going to have as big an impact for a ride of this height and potential....IMO