TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I've ridden Superman with both cars launching at the same time. It was for a Discovery Channel shoot (and I got two seconds of on-air time on that show). Racing another car on that ride really added to the experience a bit. It was a bit unnerving at the top of the tower when the cars were paused before their descent---I recall looking at the car on the left track and seeing it start to tip backwards only to be caught by the undertrack wheel, which appeared to be spring loaded to allow some "give." Of course I'm sure it was designed to do that.

As for seating capacity, chances are, we'll lose at least one seat if that picture from Tower of Terror is any indication as to what our cars will look like. However, I wonder if it's possible for the cars to be made a bit wider to make up for the wider OTSRs? The heavy weight of the cars is due to the magnets within them. If I remember right, the cars weigh about six tons each. Even stripping down some of the body of the car isn't going to make them much lighter.

Eric

The heavy weight of the cars is due to the magnets within them. If I remember right, the cars weigh about six tons each. Even stripping down some of the body of the car isn't going to make them much lighter.

Magnetic launch technology has vastly changed since the mid 90's, and judging from those wheel assemblies it doesn't look like the new ToT car is carrying 6 ton magnets anymore. I believe that was the reason for the huge 18" and 24" wheels.

Lighter car, smaller wheels, smaller assembly. It all helps

I did notice the smaller wheels. Strangely, I do like the look of the larger wheels even though they may not be needed now.

But now that the wheels are smaller, I wonder what's in the way of the back row that would cut the number of seats to two across from three?

Eric

The heavy weight of the cars is due to the magnets within them. If I remember right, the cars weigh about six tons each. Even stripping down some of the body of the car isn't going to make them much lighter.

Magnetic launch technology has vastly changed since the mid 90's, and judging from those wheel assemblies it doesn't look like the new ToT car is carrying 6 ton magnets anymore. I believe that was the reason for the huge 18" and 24" wheels.

Lighter car, smaller wheels, smaller assembly. It all helps

I remember watching a documentary about the construction of Superman, the larger wheels were becuase of the "intense" speed that was going to be produced, obviously they have now developed better wheel compounds to counter this, therefore smaller wheels can do the job of larger wheels.

Ahhh, I see

TOT OLD car...

p29133.jpg

TOT NEW car...

img_1636.jpg

Wow, that is completely different.

Maybe I should replace the "TOT" with "Superman".

I've always wanted to see the underside of one of these cars and the magnets and guide wheels, but it's impossible to find any pictures of that.

Quite interesting that the front and back of the train look pretty much identical. I'm wondering if this means the cars could feasibly be turned around for regular launches without much effort. This will be good for Superman since we have 2 towers and SFMM could conceivably make both towers backwards launching depending on the popularity.

^^According to an LA Times article it isn't going to be themed to Mr. Six anymore, but nobody knows what the new theme will be.

^While that would be a cool idea, it would dramatically reduce the capacity of the ride so I don't see it happening.

I must say this is really turning into a lot more of an interesting project then I thought it would be! It really has me curious to know what they're doing up there in the Fortress.

I just noticed something, the old trains had higher walls in front of you when you sat in the front which meant that there wasn't much wind in your face. When the new train goes the opposite direction after launch and reaching it's acme, there will be a full blast of wind on you going back to the station, that sound like a lot of fun!

^ Superman will never reach 400 feet because of the brakes up there.

Eric

My point was that it should get to the highest point it can. Call it 370-380 feet or whatever, I don't know how far the brakes stretch. I just rounded to make the point that I'm sure everyone agrees with - get it running like it used to. I know there's more than 15 feet of brakes at the top of the tower.

^^Yeah, that's gonna be a pretty awesome drop if you can look down; especially on ToT because they'll be flying 100mph into that tiny little tunnel!

Hmm, is that going to be the fastest recorded speed entering a tunnel?

First, it won't be even close to that speed since they start braking well before the tunnel.

Second, hitting the tunnel at 100 mph and braking in that short a distance would be similar to a car crash -- not good for repeat rides or the park's finances.

No, not a stupid question. The Bizarro name, or even a new name being used at all, has not been confirmed by SF. The assumption is that it's Bizzaro because of it's previous use by SF and the logic behind the use of the name for ride. It is SF, so sometimes logic does not apply. Time will tell.