TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^The I305 restraints are anti-headbanging. I don't think that a ride with no curves whatsoever will have head banging problems.

I could see potential uncomfort in the first launch, especially if your shoulders hit the plastic hard. Just cause they were made for that purpose doesn't mean they have to be used that way

^^ Too funny!

The ride could do well in any direction (upside down... maybe not!), I don't think the ride has intense acceleration like Furious Baco or even Rock n' Roller Coaster. Maybe having the choice to do one track forwards or the other backwards is not a bad idea.

I don't think the ride has intense acceleration like Furious Baco or even Rock n' Roller Coaster. Maybe having the choice to do one track forwards or the other backwards is not a bad idea.

This is true. Nobody would really be able to know. It also depends on whether the new trains will be lighter. The lighter they are, the faster the acceleration.

^^^^I'm filing a patent for that idea

The only problem I have with the restraints is as the ride progresses it becomes crazy tight on your thighs, which is extremely uncomfortable while sitting on the brake run. I used to be able to just cross my legs after the ride to solve this. However CF/Intamin (I don't know who) installed a little box in the front of each car that goes between your legs and prevents you from doing this. Since Superman doesn't have the forces or the waiting on the brake run like Maverick or I305, this senario may not be a problem.

^^^^I'm filing a patent for that idea

The only problem I have with the restraints is as the ride progresses it becomes crazy tight on your thighs, which is extremely uncomfortable while sitting on the brake run. I used to be able to just cross my legs after the ride to solve this. However CF/Intamin (I don't know who) installed a little box in the front of each car that goes between your legs and prevents you from doing this. Since Superman doesn't have the forces or the waiting on the brake run like Maverick or I305, this senario may not be a problem.

I'm in your boat, the only problem I've ever had with those restraints is that my thighs always get raped. Thigh rape. Mmmmm

But then again I don't think Superman is the type of ride that would thigh rape you, it's not Maverick... But whatever Magic Mountain decides to do with Superman I'm sure it will be better then what is currently there so I don't mind!

^I agree with the overall comfort, but the thigh problem is, I think, a really bad problem; especially for skinnier riders who don't have a cushion in their legs to suppress some of the staple effect. Every single time I ride Maverick I have to slouch a good 45 degrees just so the restraint can actually reach my waist. I don't care at all about the straps, I just hate the fact that they didn't think any into designing the restraint to fitting a person's figure like they did with the lap bars. It's just a flat bar and it hurts. I am actually envious of fat people in this instance because their gut keeps the bar from reaching their legs and they can actually ride Intamin's comfortably without having to strategically plan the ride so it doesn't end up hurting.

I think these restraints will probably work well on Superman the Escape, but I think the Intimidator 305 vest restraints would work a little better. Based on my experience with the Maverick-type restraints, they allow a lot of room for your upper body to move around, not only side to side but forward as well, while the I305 restraints fit snugly. I may be incorrect, but it seems like these restraints would allow you to be thrown forward when the car launches while I305 vest restraints would reduce that to a minimum. Although Superman doesn't have that forceful of a launch, it still has a pretty good kick when it first takes off, which I could see potentially injuring someone who is sensitive to that type of movement (but not enough to prevent them from riding normally). This is, of course, assuming that Superman will indeed be launching backwards and not just recieving new cars, in which case I would be unhappy if they removed the lapbars and replaced them with any other type of restraint.

I agree, Superman does not need the shoulder restraints unless it were to be doing something different like facing backwards. I also think that the maverick-type restraints would fit better than the I305 restraints. Maybe if they see any problems with those harnesses then they will find a new one.

^ Last I checked, California law stated that any modifications made to a ride's train required it to have OTSRs installed. So unless I'm wrong and the rule only applies to rides with inversions, as in Revolution's case, why does it matter whether Superman has OSTRs or not? Its going to get them anyway, so don't you think they've would have considered comfortability in the process?

Living in SoCal and not being able to travel to really awesome top notch coasters Intamin coasters... I am DYING to try out those intamin seats and shoulder harnesses! They look extremely comfortable considering the shoulder harnesses aren't even near your shoulders. Looks awesome!

Also, last time I rode Superman, I had close to no airtime at all. All I felt was the wind in my eye and heavy g-force on my body going vertical. To me, the ride was real boring. Now that they are (hopefully) turning one side of the track backwards, I believe that the ride will be MUCH more exciting.

Never been a fan over Superman, but I could see how a backwards ride would improve it. As it stands, you have to crane your neck out of the side of the car to get a sense of how high you are. The forced POV of the reverse launch would definitely improve that. Be interesting if they were to add some brake-induced hang-time onto the ride so that you fall into those new restraints!

Never been a fan over Superman, but I could see how a backwards ride would improve it. As it stands, you have to crane your neck out of the side of the car to get a sense of how high you are. The forced POV of the reverse launch would definitely improve that. Be interesting if they were to add some brake-induced hang-time onto the ride so that you fall into those new restraints!

Oh lord I think the tower sways quite enough as it is without any holding brake up there

^ Exactly. But to answer his question, no, Intamin has not given up on lap bars. They just don't make sense for this project. Unless the park wants all their riders to come off the ride and pee blood.

I beg to differ. Theoretically speaking, Bizarro SFNE has a deceleration G-Force of about -1.2 (see graph), and at the rate of acceleration Superman usually takes to reach a 100 it should be roughly the same sensation sustained, or they could reduce it if necessary if they were to use lapbars.

You can see it peaks -1g of deceleration on the graph.

^ Exactly. But to answer his question, no, Intamin has not given up on lap bars. They just don't make sense for this project. Unless the park wants all their riders to come off the ride and pee blood.

I beg to differ. Theoretically speaking, Bizarro SFNE has a deceleration G-Force of about -1.2 (see graph), and at the rate of acceleration Superman usually takes to reach a 100 it should be roughly the same sensation sustained, or they could reduce it if necessary if they were to use lapbars.

You can see it peaks -1g of deceleration on the graph.

The acceleration is only part of it though. Riders will also be hanging against the restraint for a few moments on the tower. So that makes 3 instances where the body will be pressed against the restraint. Besides, let's not forget what state these mods are being made in. For insurance purposes, there is little choice here. End of story.