TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Anyway, since I'm the jackass walking around with the refillable cup, my vote is for the cup holders.

Count me in on that jackass crowd. The benefit of $1 refills for and ice cold Coke or Freshers Frozen Lemonade throughout the day faaaaaar outweighs the hassle of carrying around a souvenir cup that's not even a hassle in the first place.

Spiking the drinks on the souvinier cup rack? What are guests walking around with bottles of booze or something?

Though I've only been to SFGAd, I recently had an experience where I had been waiting on El Toro for 45 minutes, and right about the time I hit that point, a security guard told me I couldn't have the cup on line...

Because of that, I had to toss my cup, and even worse, I was quite pissed, even after I rode an excellent coaster.

My aunt's boyfriend, who's actually quite chummy with people he's never met, was talking with a park employee, and apparently:

'The policy with cups and other stuff is only followed on the rides that PROVIDE lockers. If a ride, say, Rolling Thunder or a mine train, DON'T provide lockers, then you can hold the cups on line or even on the ride...'

Basically, if they don't provide you an option to pay $1 for the lockers, it's only their fault for not providing the option, which means you're allowed to carry a souvenier cup on the ride...

Wierd policy, yes, but it is quite fair...Unless you pinch every penny you find on a sidewalk...

Though I've only been to SFGAd, I recently had an experience where I had been waiting on El Toro for 45 minutes, and right about the time I hit that point, a security guard told me I couldn't have the cup on line...

Because of that, I had to toss my cup, and even worse, I was quite pissed, even after I rode an excellent coaster.

This is why SF is not a competitor in the Amusement Park industry when it comes to customer service, and probably never will be. They piss off a guest who just spent $13 bucks for a souvenir bottle and is minding his own business, but look the other way when people use profanity, wear inappropriate shirts and cut in line.

Those security guards are useless, and do more harm than good.

This is why SF is not a competitor in the Amusement Park industry when it comes to customer service, and probably never will be. They piss off a guest who just spent $13 bucks for a souvenir bottle and is minding his own business, but look the other way when people use profanity, wear inappropriate shirts and cut in line.

Those security guards are useless, and do more harm than good.

Funny you mention cutting in line...

I was waiting on Kingda Ka, and apparently, some idiot tried letting his wife and two kids (Who were WAYYY two small to ride on Kingda ka anyway...) jump onto the line at a cutoff point where security guards can walk in. The security guard spent 10 minutes telling the stubborn idiot that he had to follow the rules, because if he didn't, this nice security guard would get in trouble for it...This man continued to argue about it senselessly, so then this guard had to call ANOTHER guard over to help convince this moron that it wasn't the two guys' rules, but THE PARK'S RULES...

That's probably the first time I've EVER seen a security guard carry out the line cutting rule...

Even my uncle once broke the swearing rule...Even though, like you said, NO ONE caught him...Thankfully...

My aunt's boyfriend, who's actually quite chummy with people he's never met, was talking with a park employee, and apparently:

'The policy with cups and other stuff is only followed on the rides that PROVIDE fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. If a ride, say, Rolling Thunder or a mine train, DON'T provide fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, then you can hold the cups on line or even on the ride...'

Basically, if they don't provide you an option to pay $1 for the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, it's only their fault for not providing the option, which means you're allowed to carry a souvenier cup on the ride...

Wierd policy, yes, but it is quite fair...Unless you pinch every penny you find on a sidewalk...

This is so funny because of the lockers thing...lol

Lockers

Lockers

Lockers

Lockers

...LOL

'The policy with cups and other stuff is only followed on the rides that PROVIDE fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. If a ride, say, Rolling Thunder or a mine train, DON'T provide fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, then you can hold the cups on line or even on the ride...'

Basically, if they don't provide you an option to pay $1 for the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, it's only their fault for not providing the option, which means you're allowed to carry a souvenier cup on the ride...

This is so funny because of the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo thing...lol

fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo

...LOL

I did that purposely, actually. It's fun to know a simple word like

lo-

ckers

Can turn into a huge statement like that!

Still, it'd be nice if I was told about the option policy BEFORE I waited 60 minutes...

^ You can even do that in Microsoft Word if you want to. That would be a cute trick to play on other members of your household.

"What are guests walking around with bottles of booze or something?" (kf2010)

It's really not hard to sneak a small bottle of booze into the park. When you stop and think about it, the metal detectors only catch metal---not Sharpies, pencils, non-metallic containers, etc. I bring my diabetic kit into the park, and while someone usually asks what it is and if they can look inside, I've been through there without opening it. Imagine what I could hide in there...

And people can spike drinks with something other than booze.

SoCal is a very different culture from other places. This is why an idea like this works in St. Louis, but likely wouldn't here.

Eric

How big was the snake? I think I would be a little freaked out if I was just sitting there and turned around to see a snake!

You're asking me, right?

If so, it was...Relatively small. It was about the the size of a large piece of rope.

Scariest thing is, my aunt's boyfriend saw a HUGE snake in the boyfriend...

If he had given it 5 minutes, it would've been 'Snakes in an Amusement Park'....

Starring Samuel L. Jackson...

Not to change the subject, but I seriously can't get over the "Project 18" name.

I just imagine Six Flags executives sitting in a board room, when all of a sudden one of them goes "I got it! Lets call our top secret coaster project that is going to bring the record back to SFMM Project 18. No one will EVER guess what we're up to!"

^ Of course, do we even know that the name came from SFMM? It came up on Screamscape, and that's the only place I've seen it besides this topic. It does make sense if it is the 18th coaster for the park, but exactly who came up with it?

Eric

I REALLY don't want to create more lockrr discussions, but with their computerized systems throughout the park, one would think it would be simple to pay like, $5 with your admission for a lockrr pin number that can be used around the park. I don't really use the lockrrs 5 different times throughout the day, but I would probably pay for that pin number to make things easier.

Why not just sell a soda card for $13, instead of a big cumbersome plastic cup you have to carry around? Just show your card and get a large soda in a paper cup for a buck. Better yet, just include $1 sodas with a season pass purchase. There are plenty of mugs in the shops if someone truly wants a souvenir.

This current discussion reminds me of something I saw last time I went to the park. After I got off Colossus, one of the employees caught someone that just took an illegal POV. The employee told him he must erase it, but of course the person didn't, but the employees just let him go. I am not exactly sure of what the park's policy is on this thing but I am sure that employee could have done more to make him erase it.

I REALLY don't want to create more lockrr discussions, but with their computerized systems throughout the park, one would think it would be simple to pay like, $5 with your admission for a lockrr pin number that can be used around the park. I don't really use the lockrrs 5 different times throughout the day, but I would probably pay for that pin number to make things easier.

If I recall correctly, this was discussed at WCB.. SFMM just doesn't have the infrastructure to allow this.. at least not right now.

The l-o-c-k-e-r-s were also discussed.. SF is trying to discourage you from bringing so much crap inside the park.. Think about how much time it takes for guests to walk to the other side of the train to put stuff in a cubby.. it just adds to loading times...etc.

I use the $1 lockers on Tatsu and X2 for my cell phone.. (Droid X) because it is my personal responsibility to take care of my personal belongings. If I didn't to buy a locker, I would leave it in the car.. it's as simple as that.

Why does everyone have to bitch about a buck? A lot of us probably get in for free with our passes.. or next to nothing with discount tickets. Additionally, SF has to protect itself from lawsuits.. people do stupid things.. they bring stuff on rides that should not be on rides... Objects fall out of pockets and hit other people.. bad news!

The other day on Tatsu, as we were approaching the final brake run, someone's cell phone flew out of their hand or pocket and hit the diamond plate 'decking'.. even with the train slowing down, the cell phone basically disintegrated into dozens of pieces.. So yeah.. I wouldn't be surprised if that guest got upset and complained to SF.. too bad.. they offer $1 lockers.. should have used them.

Just playing the devil's advocate here.. sorry

^Honestly, when it comes to load times, the guests are usually the LAST ones slowing things down. Its not like a majority of the rides in the park are hitting record dispatch times or anything...

Why not just sell a soda card for $13, instead of a big cumbersome plastic cup you have to carry around? Just show your card and get a large soda in a paper cup for a buck. Better yet, just include $1 sodas with a season pass purchase. There are plenty of mugs in the shops if someone truly wants a souvenir.

Nah, think about it from a business perspective: they make bank off those cups. I'm guessing it costs them no more than a buck a cup (if that) to have them made and sent to the park, and a $12 profit is something they won't let go of anytime soon.

I don't have a problem paying $1 for a lock er, but I do have a problem making someone throw out their $13 cup after they just purchased it. On rides like Tatsu or X, unless you have cargo pockets with zippers or buttons, you can basically consider your phone gone no matter what pocket you put it in. That $1 investment to keep your things safe really isn't that bad.

^Honestly, when it comes to load times, the guests are usually the LAST ones slowing things down. Its not like a majority of the rides in the park are hitting record dispatch times or anything...

Speaking from a ride hosts point of view, when I was working normally it was the guests that slowed EVERYTHING down. Loading, checking seats, clearing trains, people pulling out cameras, etc.