TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This Thread is fast going the way of the KD thread. At the end of the day, who cares what they add, we are all going to bitch, and then end up riding it anyway. Why dont we have PRODUCTIVE discussions about the park, fo instance, has anyone noticed any work going on at Superman lately?

^Not sure if I missed the sarcasm, but you know none of those rides are B&M right?

The poster above him made the comment:

I wouldnt want a B&M because then we'd have to deal with those 1$ fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

His response was saying not just B&M coasters have lockers...

I was at the park yesterday and didn't see anything happening at SuperMan. However I did notice a few things around the park:

X2 now has a dispatch clock in the station. When a train comes into the station there is a clock that counts down from 2:00mins. And the X2 crew were hitting their intervals.

The pond that was under Revolutions last helix has been filled in with dirt

Saw lots of open gates around the park, and saw one couple wander onto the maintenance road that connects to the X2 bridge.

Got sprayed in the face with soda on Goliath all because the ride operators would not allow someone to leave their FULL souvenir bottle of soda on the station platform. Cant take a bag or camera on the ride but you can take a full bottle of soda on the ride.

Got sprayed in the face with soda on Goliath all because the ride operators would not allow someone to leave their FULL souvenir bottle of soda on the station platform. Cant take a bag or camera on the ride but you can take a full bottle of soda on the ride.

Ive had to take my souvenir cup filled with sprite on viper once before. Not much really came out though but it felt really okward. I don't get it why they make you take the drinks on. I know they want you to buy a locker and I understand that the main reason they don't let you leave it on the platform is so that the operators won't be responisble for it. Which I understand, but I would take that the risk of lossing it rather than making a roller coaster into a water ride or soda ride. Its just weird even if I wanted to take that risk the operators will still hold the train till either you leave the ride or take the drink on the ride.

Apparently what to do with the Souvenir Cups is a chain wide issue. It was brought up at our Q&A at SFGAm and they say they're working on several solutions.

Here was SFStL's solution:

It worked well there, not sure it would work at SFMM where I'd be concerned not only of someone stealing my drink, but putting something in it as well.

Good lord... you folks talked about Screamscape so much in this forum, someone went out of their way to e-mail me about it, and said I should check it out. Bunch of Tattle Tails around here... reminds me of when I got busted in the 4th grade for saying a few choice words at Four-Square. (the game with the ball, not the damn online service... )

Anyway... I don't think I could have made it more clear on Screamscape, but as I said, the whole Project: 18 business has pretty much gotten out of control... all kinds of people sending in their own ideas and crazy rumors.

Bottom line - No way to tell what it's going to be, because it hasn't been chosen yet. They're just dreaming up ideas right now,

but the good and important message behind it all however is that both the park and the new corporate office guys in Dallas are in agreement that SFMM does need a new coaster for 2012 and are taking the right steps to put something new in Gotham.

As for Superman... there isn't much to discuss. BACKWARDS... BOTH SIDES.

I'm pretty much waiting for the park to get off their butt and make a real annoucement on that project before I post anything more on Screamscape about it. I'm hoping for a speed fix or improvement as well, but right now we're likely to get better info by watching what goes on in Dreamworld on Tower of Terror II.

Anyway, there' s my forum post for the year.

Take care folks,

Lance

It worked well there, not sure it would work at SFMM where I'd be concerned not only of someone stealing my drink, but putting something in it as well.

The thought of somebody putting something in your drink was actually my first thought as to why they make you take the drinks on the ride with you. Just on that off chance that somebody decides that it would be a good idea to put something into your drink, the park doesn't want to risk responsibility.

B-b-but I thought that wouldn't work because people would be snapping their necks on the launch??!?!

I understand the rumors have gotten out of control, but its all in good fun and I don't think anyones getting that serious, so I don't see how that warrants some of the inappropriate comments. Not the classiest post I've seen from a Mod I can tell you that.

Anyway, there' s my forum post for the year.

Take care folks,

Lance

Wow a Lance Hart post on TPR, thats like seeing bigfoot, or the Lockness Monster, or Elissa eating a hotdog with the skin on. With all the speculating on project 18, people stopped speculating about Superman. Well now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

^ I agree with PAL's last sentence. Bringing a refillable drink cup would just give me something to have to carry around. When I visit parks, I travel as light as I can. The cup rack is a great idea, but unfortunately, given some of SFMM's clientele, it leaves room for shenanigans. In my opinion, anyone caught messing with the cups ought to be kicked out of the park for good.

Nice to see you here, Lance. And thanks for all the good work you do on Screamscape.

Eric

That bottle rack skeeves me out. I think about some punk mixing them up for laughs. Ugh.

Excatly. On one hand I absolutely *love* the idea that the park is giving their guests an option. It's totally the correct response for the complaint of "First you sell me this cup, now you tell me I have to pay $1 to put in a locker." I totally applaud the park for creating an alternative. That being said, I personally would not leave my cup there...and if I did, I would make sure the cup is EMPTY and I'd for sure be washing it out before the next re-fill. Perhaps a sign suggesting exactly that might be a good idea. Like "Only leave empty souvenier cups here."

Maybe it works in St. Louis where people may be more respectful of others (I doubt it) but at SFMM, people would just be messing with the cups. And to be honest, if they are all empty, it's not that big of a deal. But can you imagine some asshole spiking a kids drink that's just sitting out in the open? At SFMM...I sure can.

I do my best to avoid refillable 'souvenier' cups. They're a hassle to manage.

Couldn't agree more!

Edited by robbalvey

"X2 now has a dispatch clock in the station." (Top Thrill Dragster)

Tatsu's dispatches are actually worse than X2's. They could use a clock there.

As for stuffed animals, doesn't SFMM have a service where they send your prize to the front of the park and you can pick it up at Guest Relations? I thought I saw that somewhere.

Eric

I still like the idea of the cup rack. I mean all I keep hearing is from people who don't use a souvenir cup. I for one have a cup for every park that uses them, and I usually refill them all day. Usually I have my wife, or the stroller to leave my cup with, but it would be cool to have somewhere I could leave my cup without having to buy a locker.

I don't think I would be really too worried about people messing with the cups. The only time someone messed with my drink was at Disneyland when the Disney jackass moving my stroller dumped my soda all over the seat and just left it there. I really hate it when they move strollers, I park it in the designated area and I come back and it's gone. I actually had someone put their stuff in my stroller thinking it was theirs, because it had been moved. Anyway, since I'm the jackass walking around with the refillable cup, my vote is for the cup holders.