TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I wear jeans that are slim-fitting. I usually put my droid in a front pocket on most rides.

On Tatsu, I put it in my back pocket; on X2, it goes in the front.

I still worry about its survival but I have had pretty good luck so far.

Cargo shorts sound nice, but I hate wearing shorts.. so..

*knocks on wood

I was almost hit in the head with a cell phone on tatsu. It was a razor. On the loop someone dropped it i guess, and at the bottom of the loop, i could see thing about to hit me, but right when it was about a foot away, the car went up and i was safe. It was scary.

I know they're open until six, but has there been a barrage of school buses and kids lately?

I don't think it is very likely, all summer schools or summer camps should be done. Some schools in socal have already started. And they usually don't do field trips at the begining of the semester. I went this time last year on a weekday, I forgot if it was this week or next week but it was in between dead and average attendace. Lets just say all of the rides were walkons or 2-3 train wait. The exception being the usually suspects X2, deja vu, tatsu, termy, and goliath.

I love Terminator! The preshow is pretty epic I must say. But I agree about having a choice to watch or not watch the preshow! There are just some of us who do not want to watch the same thing over and over and over again! Maybe they should do that at Disneyland too. Their preshows are great but when you watch, "and tonight's episode you are the stars. This elevator travels directly to..... The Twilight Zone. *duh Duh DUUUH!!!" and you memorize the whole thing, it gets a little old. But back to Terminator... It's a fantastic ride, it's my favorite, but I wish to skip the pre-show and just go straight to the ride!

The difference is, ToT's pre-show in the library is about 90 seconds, I haven't timed Terminators but it's got to be at least 10 minutes for all 3 rooms.

Six Flags Magic Mountain GM Jay Thomas fired

Six Flags cleaned a little house today, firing several general managers including Magic Mountain GM Jay Thomas. Other firings to come down include Mark Kane from Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey and Eric Gilbert of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Northern California. This according to the Screamscape twitter page.

The firings of Jay Thomas is especially surprising considering the resurgence that Six Flags Magic Mountain has experienced since he came on board. Six Flags as a whole has rebounded from a $1.4 Billion debt after filing chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Thomas assumed the role of Park President of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor on September 5, 2007. Thomas, formerly Park President at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, has been with Six Flags over 18 years at both the corporate and park levels.

Since his appointment to Park President of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor, Thomas has made a concerted effort to turn the park into more of a family destination with the addition of the newly-created Thomas Town(No relation). Thomas has also overseen the addition of the Cyber Café, Sky Tower museum and the launch of the popular X2 and Tatsu coasters. He also oversaw the opening of the new $10 million wooden rollercoaster, Terminator Salvation based on the latest Terminator film which came out in 2009.

The park was set to open the family ride, Mr Six's Dance Coaster two months ago but the opening was pushed back to next spring due to problems with permits and such. They also recently closed Superman: The Escape coaster for a much needed renovation. All of these additions were positve steps in the right direction for the park although there is still a ways to go. Hopefully whomever they replace Thomas with, will continue his work in turning Magic Mountain into a family destination.

http://www.examiner.com/adventure-parks-in-los-angeles/six-flags-magic-mountain-gm-jay-thomas-fired

If this is true, this is really unfortunate for all parties involved. I think the one that will suffer the most is Six Flags. Jay and his team did a fantastic job in one of the hardest markets in the country. I am sure someone will scoop Jay up soon as he is one of the best in the business.

again, they shouldn't be focusing on turning SFMM into a more child- friendly place. They should be making it more thrilling. I've seen TONS of kids that are 48" go on goliath and other insane rides there. and they were kids.

I'm going to assume that Six Flags Corporate found the "Park President" role redundant since there is also a "General Manager" role. Most parks only have one or the other. But again, this is PURE speculation.

--Robb

This does seem like a loss!

Maybe he rubbed the wrong way with someone? Maybe its a way to cut corners any more? I wonder when we will see the offical report

BTW, i thought that this was funny

Thomas has made a concerted effort to turn the park into more of a family destination with the addition of the newly-created Thomas Town(No relation).

I'm going to assume that Six Flags Corporate found the "Park President" role redundant since there is also a "General Manager" role. Most parks only have one or the other. But again, this is PURE speculation.

--Robb

A replacement has already been named but not yet announced...

Edited by Magic Alumni

again, they shouldn't be focusing on turning SFMM into a more child- friendly place. They should be making it more thrilling. I've seen TONS of kids that are 48" go on goliath and other insane rides there. and they were kids.

Because, you know, making the parks more kid friendly had nothing to do with their resurgence.

This is really too bad. I thought he had done a really great job with the park over the past couple of years.

But anytime there are changes at the top there are going to be some cuts and I'm sure Jay knows this better than anybody. Hopefully this doesn't have a negative effect on the park (or maybe it will actually be a GOOD thing in the end).

Also hope this doesn't have any impact on WCB, etc.