TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Tatsu is the only ride at SFMM where I have seen the crew playing with their cell phones. Of course, the laughing and talking about who's hooking up with who and all that is totally unprofessional too. I think Tatsu has the only crew that makes me feel "unsafe", like they are to busy fooling around to do their job properly.

I think they should offer a reward for any guest who can bring them a picture of the crew on any coaster using their cell phone. People will do anything for free stuff, and it would put the ride op's on notice that they are being watched.

Tatsu kind of annoys me because the first 3 times I have gone to Magic Mountain, they never ran the second side of the station. They only ran one side. The line was always about 2 hours long! My latest trip to Magic Mountain was the first time I have seen them run both sides of the station! (By the way, I have only been 4 times).

I love Terminator! The preshow is pretty epic I must say. But I agree about having a choice to watch or not watch the preshow! There are just some of us who do not want to watch the same thing over and over and over again! Maybe they should do that at Disneyland too. Their preshows are great but when you watch, "and tonight's episode you are the stars. This elevator travels directly to..... The Twilight Zone. *duh Duh DUUUH!!!" and you memorize the whole thing, it gets a little old. But back to Terminator... It's a fantastic ride, it's my favorite, but I wish to skip the pre-show and just go straight to the ride!

That's just the way pre-shows work, guys. Yeah, it's too bad a five minute video breaks up your power riding, but the rides aren't (and shouldn't be) disposable, ride 'em as many times as you can, experiences. Honestly, I definitely prefer Terminator's pre-show to the hours of metal bars that you have to deal with on X2.

I think Tatsu has the only crew that makes me feel "unsafe", like they are to busy fooling around to do their job properly.

I think they should offer a reward for any guest who can bring them a picture of the crew on any coaster using their cell phone. People will do anything for free stuff, and it would put the ride op's on notice that they are being watched.

If you truly feel that way - you can text the park (literally). Especially in the case that ops on cell phones *could* result in injury or litigation. From my experience they've been very responsive to significant concerns up here at SFDK. As for rewards, that might be reaching. Sometimes the best reward is the letter you get saying, "Thank you for bringing this to our attention." At least you know they've acknowledged the situation...

On the topic of cell phones, it brought something to mind: I just got an iPhone 4 and although I'm sure I'll bring it with me next time I go to SFMM I also know that I won't be able (or want to) bring it with me on the actual coasters. On that note, I'm slightly terrified to leave it in the cubby holes while I ride. The true fear of riding the coasters would be not knowing if my iPhone would be there when I returned to the station, which isn't the best way to enjoy a day at the park. I know I can't be alone in this, what do you guys do with your expensive smartphones? Ever had a problem with them being stolen from the cubbyholes or something similar? Perhaps my suspicions of people are paranoid rather then being based in reality.

...... what do you guys do with your expensive smartphones?

I take it on all the rides with me!! Like what was stated above, wear cargo pants with a button or zipper. My iPhone 3G made it on every coaster in Japan, except Dodonpa and Thunder Dolphin (where they are almost militant about emptying your pockets).

My iPhone 4 still goes with me on all rides, either in a pocket, or a belt case.

In the USA though, if you're that concerned, put it in a pay l-o-c-k-e-r, but NEVER an open bin or "cubby hole" otherwise, chances are pretty good you'll never see it again.

JJ

Zippered pockets, either in shorts or a jacket, are the best way to go just because they don't open nearly as easily as a snap, button, or Velcro. Personally, I think it's well worth a dollar to use one of those notorious pay-per-use cubbies and know that your expensive stuff will be there when you get back. And the nice thing is that if a ride isn't that crowded, you can ride again because you normally get 90-120 minutes use of that locked enclosure for your dollar.

Eric