TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

How about we copy off Dreamworld in Australia...Intamin Freefall on the spine of S:TE?

My guess would be that since the base for it (Superman's Tower) sits in a backstage area that isn't that big. Given it's also next to the employee cafeteria it would cause all kinds of congestion problems since its the only "official" place in the park for employees to eat.

^It just goes to show how progressive California is. We even allow our towers to not be straight!

P.S.: for anyone looking for a good time to go to MM, a weekday in late August should do the trick. I went on August 23rd last year, and pretty much everything was a walk on. Even X2 had a very short wait. Although with the LAUSD getting in even later this year, that might not be the case. For anyone wondering, LAUSD students go back September 13th.

^It just goes to show how progressive California is. We even allow our towers to not be straight!

And Superman was built over a decade before all this "Prop 8" stuff!

Back onto actual business...

The talk seems to be that two S&S towers so close to one another would be bad juju - but KBF and DLR are much closer together than KBF and SFMM! Honestly, with the small footprint of vertical attractions - the location possibilities are boundless. (Would look good where Freefall once resided, though...)

A tower attraction would be a good start - but it's going to take several season's additions to build up the "medium thrill" flats the park is so sorely lacking at the moment.

^ Maliboomer never should have been greenlit for a Disney park, so of course the ride did not last. The proximity to Knotts also helped make the ride downright desposible. Although it would fit in much better at SFMM, I'd rather they invest in something unique to So-Cal, like a Huss giant frisbee. One "hand me down" kiddie coaster is enough for one year at a park of SFMM's stature.

I do agree that it will take a several years to build up a worthy flat-ride collection as well as kids rides. But I like the way parks like Kings Island, Cedar Point and Dollywood have done it. In-between coaster years. And they did it by making the ride choices unique to thier regions, and almost as marketable as a new coaster.

In all fairness not at that time but when there was a train there it would take longer than usual to open/close the airgates, check lapbars, etc., because they were all busy looking at something in the panel area. There were also 2 other employees you can't see, one at the exit and the airgate guy. 7 employees at this ride? 3 to run it but the other 4 I guess had nothing better to do. It just kind of looks bad when there are a bunch of employees at one location not really doing anything but this is a themepark, so I am not surprised. The couple of days I was there the worst/slowest dispatching rides were this one, Riddler's, and Batman, maybe Tatsu too because of various reasons but should have been quicker overall. I think the best one I saw was Viper, no stacking and the trains were flying out of there constantly...it was awesome! I can't even count Deja Vu as anything because I got right on it after it had been down, so I waited like 5 minutes.

When I was at the park last week, Riddlers Revenge had the SLOWEST dispatch times ever. Even with the GOLD Q-Bot, we waited in the station room for at least 20 minutes (While single riders were just walking right on). I remember being on the ride outside the station just standing in the heat for a while before we could get off. As for Goliath, they were running 3 trains for a while, making you have to sit out of the station for a while in the sun as well. In fact, many times I saw both trains sitting outside the station while a 3rd one was still being loaded. The ride kept stopping on the lift hill, and later in the day, they were only running two trains (which actually made the wait seem quicker). And there were many workers in the station then as well. I honestly think X2 and Terminator had the best dispatch times.

As for the Q-Bots, for the most expensive Q-Bot (PLATINUM) Your wait time is hugely reduced and not only is your wait short, but you get to ride it twice in a row. However, It depends on when your going if this is necessary. I have gone durning very busy times of the summer, gotten a GOLD Q-Bot, and gone on every ride multiple times. And yes, X2 is 15$ extra per seat, but I get that each time I go. It is well worth it.

^So with the platium q-bot you don't have to get out of your seat to ride twice-you just show your q-bot? & Why,why,why does X2 cost extra? It shouldn't! Are they thinking of including it in the q-bot price? I hope they do sometime soon. I think the platium q-bot will be well worth it since I hardly ever get to SFMM. X2 should be at least included w/the platium. I'll wait until it is.

I really think the park needs to revamp its operations training. The reason there are so many employees everywhere is because the burden of training is on an already overwhelmed ride lead. Adding more staff when the workforce starts to dip doesn't stop the bleeding because then thats just more people to train.

OK SFMMFans great news: Today I went to SFMM today and I was the first person to go on Sky tower.Believe this please...I told the staff at the skytower that there are lots of rumor about Superman going Backwards.The worker said that the rumors were true about superman going Backwards next year.

The majority of the employees there aren't very knowledgeable. However I have found a few (usually coaster enthusiasts) that are actually very up-to-date.

But I'd still take Robb's word over any of them.

Does anybody know how the crowds will be this Friday? I usually avoid Magic Mountain during the summer since it's so freaking hot but since it really hasn't been a hot summer my friends and I decided that we'd go one last time before school starts. I know that LAUSD doesn't start until mid-September this year so there goes that advantage, but is there any other reason the park might be disgustingly crowded on Friday?

Yeah, when I was there a couple of weeks ago there was a family in the front 2 rows of GoldRusher that got to ride twice. I didn't know the reasoning just that the ride op said something about FlashPass. I figured it was just for that ride since there is never a line, I didn't think that it was for every ride.

I didn't care, but I don't think they should be putting the responsibility on the ride op's to diffuse any situation that may arise because people will have to wait, etc. Especially considering how hard you sometimes have to work to make sure you get on the same train with your family, etc. I can see a lot of guests getting a bit upset at that not understanding what the policy is.

Gregg "Going to check and see if SFDK has this for our visit this Saturday" C.

OK SFMMFans great news: Today I went to SFMM today and I was the first person to go on Sky tower.Believe this please...I told the staff at the skytower that there are lots of rumor about Superman going Backwards.The worker said that the rumors were true about superman going Backwards next year.

Anyone who actually knows what's in store for Superman has signed a document strictly stating that they cannot and will not talk about it to anyone, including other employees.

My guess is that employee probably read a website and took the backwards rumor as fact. Could have mistook the Dreamworld announcement even. Who knows.