TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^Not so much launched, but kind of 'pushed.' The top speed is 45 mph, but that is when the train is facing forward. It felt kink of weak to me. All it has to do is push it down a small hill and off she goes, hardly at breakneck speed. I don't think a major roller coaster exists that really launches you. Mummy is kinda kicked, and Everest is just kinda dropped but has some boosters immediately after. Does anybody know of some crazy Japanese ride that launches you backward? Some kind of shuttle, maybe?

I think that the most ideal solution, if they want the ride to shoot people backwards, is:

1) Rearrange the seats to face backwards, not the whole car.

2) Tilt them backwards so riders are practically laying on their backs, but not all the way (maybe 35-60 degree angle). This will greatly reduce forces since the riders will have a platform to put their feet on.

3) The restraints should be like X2 or De ja vu's restraints.

4) So now instead of riders simply feeling a little weightlessness, they will have a "hanging" feeling at the top. I would honestly be scared ****less when I am at the top.

McDonald's also has a wikipedia page about incidents. Just sayin' (and no offense, Elissa). The argument arises pretty frequently that Intamin's are unsafe, for whatever reason. But honestly, isn't saying that Intamin's are deadly like saying that its the cell phone's fault that someone died while texting and driving? Look at that list of incidents, a majority of them are operator errors, as are most amusement accidents, not the manufacturers fault. Sure, maybe they should install some redundancies, but the real problems with these accidents is human err.

Once again, THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS! Sure, there have been a few accidents involving manufacturing problems, but, as said, most problems are caused either by the operator, management, or riders.

Does the Arrow shuttle loop count as a backwards launch?

I can't really say that I'm looking forward to 2011 at Magic Mountain unless something "big" actually does happen to superman. All of the rumors just sound really lame / a complete waste of a new attraction. Of course, money IS an issue, so they can't just tear that mother f**ker down and build something cool there, but hopefully management surprises us and turns Superman into something...well...cool and actually worth while. Of course, whatever I do, I'm definitely going to ride whatever Superman turns into, and continue going to the park because one year of *possible* lameness (well I guess it'll be two) really wouldn't stop me from visiting. Hell, I've been to Knott's 3 times this year, and they haven't added any new rides at all since '08!

I think that the most ideal solution, if they want the ride to shoot people backwards, is:

2) Tilt them backwards so riders are practically laying on their backs, but not all the way (maybe 35-60 degree angle). This will greatly reduce forces since the riders will have a platform to put their feet on.

4) So now instead of riders simply feeling a little weightlessness, they will have a "hanging" feeling at the top. I would honestly be scared ****less when I am at the top.

I like this...

but to elaborate on this idea a little... Keep the seating configuration the same as it is now during launch then as the cars are accelerating down the track tilt/recline the seats on their back so you're then facing towards the sky as you start your ascent up the tower. Now you're upside down for the ascent up to the top and fall back to earth head down facing away from the tower. Far-fetched yes, but what an frickin awesome and unique feeling! and actually seemingly feasible...

Hi everybody!

I read the 5 previous pages and I’ve got to expose my idea. It has maybe already been said, but anyway…

Has anybody thought of a lying on the back launch? They could also add a tunnel effect or fire like on Bizarro theme.

First, you’re looking on the sky accelerating, then you reach the top like on a tower with a lot of airtime.

At the maximum height you stay a few seconds (or not, effects…), and then you drop like on Demon drop.

So:

• Lying on the back launch = new sensation

• Explosion, water, storytelling, whatever…^^

• A (soft ?) modification of the seats / vehicle (maybe a floor for riders) => it could be a reasonable cost

• And you get a great view without seeing any metal structure

I imagine it would be cool and new enough !

I'm just wondering why the supposed new coaster for 2011 is gone.

Now we have "Mr Six kiddie coaster" and a rehab for Superman.

I'm still waiting for a S&S Combo tower and new flat rides (matterhorn, top spin, break dance, ...), but a B&M diving coaster would be a great add too !

It won't be before 2014 for a thrillseeker new coaster? that's really far !

I would guess you would have to be laying feet first to be the most comfortable during the launch, but then when you get up the tower that can't possibly be pleasant to be hanging upside down.

I disagree, I think being head-first would be the most comfortable, because you'd be pushed into the seat instead of the top of the harness/restraint. Launching like that shouldn't be much different than riding the launch version of an S&S Tower, and the transition might not be much different than a pretzel loop on a B&M Flyer.

WOW! This thread has gone downhill!

Why, because everyone is civilly talking about Superman, a ride you seem to hate with a passion and bash in every thread you visit?

^lmao Your way off base. My point is that everyone is throwing out insane ideas like backwards launching! This is usually an interesting thread but is now being clogged with these crazy hopes. I agree with one of the previous posters that thinks the mountain should get some flats or drop tower, which is what I think would be the best choice for Superman Ride of Scrap.

I disagree with 1 and 2.Then How are you go to be facing backward.

1)TURN the whole Car Backwards.

2)Have soft straps OSTR.

your 4)That the whole point been scared ,its just like X2.