TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Living the UK it simply defies belief that even those for whom SFMM is their local park they can still criticise it. P

What's wrong with that?

That's like saying that being that I live in America I shouldn't question or criticize the government.

Isn't this the same concept?

From a friend that knows:

Superman: The Escape at SFMM is down and they are doing some much needed maintenance, possibly painting it, and both sides should be open when it comes back up. They can't launch both at the same time and they probably will never run them at 100 MPH ever again (though they can, they don't as it is quite expensive to do so).

Anyways, the major reason for the downtime is they are making one side go backwards. They have been testing it for some time now.

Oh really, how do you know it will never run that fast? In fact, how do you know any of that is true? Is there a way to confirm any of that? For all we know this friend is really you making this up. Yeah I have posted stuff on here but have said either I don't know, or maybe its this, etc. I'm sorry I just don't buy it. How could you know this already...has anybody else seen it supposedly testing backwards?

I apologize if this sounds harsh, I don't really mean it to be I would just like you to be able to confirm what you have said. I could do the same thing and say a friend that knows says that Intamin will be putting in three very large coasters in the next few years, which means nothing because a friend that knows could be anybody and with no confirmation what I just said cant be taken seriously... that's all I am really saying.

^When I was at the park earlier this week the left track of the ride was testing for about an hour but it just had the regular car on it. However, it did look like the car was getting closer to the top of the tower than it usually does so they may be testing a new launch program capable of launching at full speed.

Has anyone noticed anything in the guest parking lot? I have reports that there appears to be some sort of ride pieces in the normal guest lot. Don't really have the time to go down there myself, just wondering if anyone noticed.

^^The car gets closer to the top of the tower when its empty, as it goes faster when its empty during launch. Keep in mind, the problem with the 100mph launch is not only the programming, but the firing between magnets. When the car gets going over 100, the computer loses the car and the ride shuts down, hence, the ride only hitting about 82mph. I highly doubt in 1-2 weeks after closing the ride that they already have a new launch system in place. Also, turning the cars around takes more than just flipping it 180 degrees. Computer switches and safety units would have to be reversed, its quite a daunting task.

Has anyone noticed anything in the guest parking lot? I have reports that there appears to be some sort of ride pieces in the normal guest lot. Don't really have the time to go down there myself, just wondering if anyone noticed.

!!! This should be interesting if its true!

I should be heading down there tomorrow or Sunday, and I'll have a look about if I can.

^ Right, and now they're stuck with it. Tim did also say he is fighting with the state to offer an alternative restraint that's softer and more comfortable. I say, put their asses on the ride itself and see how they like it.

Partly suspended stretchy restraints like Tatsu might work.

Don't have time? Going to Magic Mountain for you, is like going to the supermarket for me, your apartment is practically in Six Flags parking lot.

PS- I know your busy creating happiness for coaster people.

^ Right, and now they're stuck with it. Tim did also say he is fighting with the state to offer an alternative restraint that's softer and more comfortable. I say, put their asses on the ride itself and see how they like it.

Partly suspended stretchy restraints like Tatsu might work.

That would be prefect.

I agree about Superman, you can't just flip one car around and be done with it. There would be a lot of work involved to get it to run properly.

Don't have time? Going to Magic Mountain for you, is like going to the supermarket for me, your apartment is practically in Six Flags parking lot.

But isn't going to the supermarket a drag and a time waster?

Wait... How fast does Superman go now? I have heard that it only goes 80, but some say it still goes 100. Also, why has it never gone to the top of the tower?

Can't answer how fast it's launched now but it's definitely less than 100mph. A coaster launched to a speed of 100mph will travel up to a height of approximately 377 feet*. The tower is over 400 feet tall. Even when the ride opened and it was operating at it's designed top speed of 100mph it never made it to the top of the tower. If the coaster is only launched to 80mph as your post suggests it should reach about 200 feet up the tower.

(*conversely, on a traditional coaster with a lift hill you'd need a drop of approx 377 feet to reach a speed of 100mph at the bottom)

According to an old ride op (who regularly checked the speedometer) it does do around 85 most days. And it has gone to the top of the tower before, well not the very top, but into the safety brakes at the top. But it's never happened when the GP was allowed to ride.

I never rode the ride when it launched at 100 mph, or at least I don't remember. But according to people who have (and I'm sure people here can clarify), when it used to launch at 100 mph it came very close to the safety brakes at the top. So yeah, I'd agree with that guy ^ that it used to go around 377 feet higher then the bottom of the launch, not 377 total feet.

Haha soooo funny!!!

Ok, maybe I should have also added: "I dont really have the time, nor can I be bothered, to go there myself right now!"

Oh, and it's been really hot!

Went yesterday and from a casual look while on Goliath and Colossus didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but since I wasn't specifically looking for them it's possible I may have missed them.

Haha soooo funny!!!

Ok, maybe I should have also added: "I dont really have the time, nor can I be bothered, to go there myself right now!"

Oh, and it's been really hot!

Actually I thought you might be amused, apparently not. I actually put the PS at the bottom so you would know i was making a joke and I know you are busy with the upcoming trips and I would guess now even next years trips.

^Looks like the rug is off the hook.

Has anyone else noticed that SFMM's food prices are now beyond ridiculous? Like, I understand that it's a theme park and everything, but almost ten dollars for a personal pizza at Papa John's is insane. I've gotten the same sized pizza at my neighborhood school for four dollars, and even THEY were making somewhat of a profit off of it. I normally just discount high prices as 'theme park pricing,' but this is the first time where the price has not only prompted me to file a complaint at guest relations, but actually leave the park to go to Wendy's for dinner (where I got a whole meal for $6.50...including free mints). The thing is, the pizza didn't even used to be 10 dollars, it used to be around $7.50 I believe (which is still too much...but what can you do? It's an amusement park).

On the plus side, everything was running GREAT on my visit Wednesday. I rode X2 on an outside seat in row 5, and it was as smooth as ever. PLUS they weren't stacking at all, which I didn't even realize was possible for X2. In fact, they even managed to make Batman not stack! Probably the biggest surprise was how smooth/great Viper was. I rode it in the 4th and 5th cars, and how great it was blew my mind (although I've always loved Viper). Even though the food prices are insane now, and it was kinda crowded, I probably had my most enjoyable SFMM visit ever last Wednesday.

P.S. Termy at night + mist = ungodly amazing.

^^Well Elissa most people on this site view you and Robb along the lines of 'Comic Book SuperHeros', who are capable of accomplishing the impossible. Clearly your followers of TPR feel there is no task beyond your abilities. (Including but not limited to KidTums, running TPR, Club TPR, planning global excursions, arranging ERT, and investigating mysterious ride pieces at SFMM.)

^No no, it's cool, I totally got that you were kidding! I was just playing back!

Damn you internet and lack of emotions!!!!

Ok , it was just like, I been planning my daughters birthday and everybody flaked out. So, I had a rough couple of weeks trying to put together a "King Kong" birthday. Yes, my daughter chose of all things King Kong, which wouldn't be too bad, but good luck finding any Kong party stuff. I actually bought a clown pinata and turned it into King Kong, it wasn't easy, the hair on my arms is still stuck together with glue. On top of that I had to go to 5 Party City's to raid the jungle animal favors and take all the gorilla figures and then i was crapping my pants waiting for the last mail order stuff that arrived today, birthday is tomorrow. And then, I got a break and I'm like "I will go relax and check out the forum" and damn if Elissa ain't mad at me!!! Aw hell, what's gonna happen next, the cake orders gonna be lost? Nobody's gonna show and I gotta eat 6 pizza's? Sorry I misread you, i was just in a really funky mood and all that will probably change after the party is over and done with. I should send KT a Kong bag of crap, seeing as how after all the running around, I now have too much Kong stuff.

So, ride pieces in the parking lot you say, very interesting.

kong.jpg.4074390e8b3f305294be2aa5db43b4e2.jpg

I don't have a #1 dad shirt for nothing!

Edited by fatdaddy

When I went on Tuesday there was a single piece of track in the area across from the employee parking lot. I saw it from Scream's station and it just looked like a piece of Goliath's track. Who knows, maybe this is it?

No that was a piece of Chang, SFMM will have the worlds only dueling, racing, and spooning, Stand up coasters in the world for 2011

I don't think it's anything though ride pieces at SFMM would of been showed up on the net or on TPR by now I would think.

Also I was thinking would turning the cars around on S:TE delay SFMM ever more from getting a traditional Drop tower, since with the cars turned around on it would provide a face first vertical drop from what they'd claim of 415 feet. I'm wondering if they would have the mind set of We'd have to build a Drop tower of at least 450+ feet or more to make it more interesting the a reversed launched S:TE so why even bother.

Anyways what ever SFMM does for 2011 or 2012 I hope it involves something launched or something Giga but definitely INTAMIN