TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Magic Mt. doesn't have anything nearly as bad as Mean Streak or Iron Wolf.

Superman the Escape, Revolution, Colossus are all as bad if not worse, and I think Batman is the worst invert I have been on. Needless to say I don't agree with your statement.

I've never ridden Iron Wolf, but I have to STRONGLY disagree about Mean Streak. It's mostly always been bad, but even in the past 5 years or so it has gotten CONSIDERABLY worse. Sure those three you mentioned at MM may not be the best coasters in the world, and might be their "worst," but I still remember all three as being really fun, and still miles upon miles (if not light years) better than Mean Streak.

At West Coast Bash, Tim Burkhart said the state made them put those on. It's not Magic Mt. that wanted them. It's too bad cause I'm guessing rev was a much better ride before them. I've only gotten to ride rev with them.

So then why doesn't Montezooma's Revenge have them?

Are you frickin' kidding me: Magic Mountain has nothing that stands out?!?!

X2 is one of the most unique coasters I've ever seen.

Tatsu looks outstanding, and gets nothing but great praise.

Terminator looks like a kick-ass GCI, With Flamethrowes!

Superman, even though it's so simple, still goes 80 mph, and God knows how high.

Goliath is praised just as much as any B&M hyper out there.

Riddler is a standup on 'roids!

Scream, even if a lot of you SFMM fanboys don't like it, it would be the best at many parks.

Batman, a clone, but still one of the best inverts.

Plus all the other average coasters, you guys have.

Sorry about the rant, but you all are starting to sound like the CP boys.

X2 is definitely top tier in my mind. Tatsu is no slouch either. RR is the favorite stand up of many fairly well-traveled enthusiasts as well. I think the entire lineup is pretty solid across the board. Since the removal of Flashback and Pysclone there really are no total turds among the coasters the park has.

X2 is currently my favorite coaster. However, I think if I got used to riding it, it might seem less unique and more just gimmicky. Even though it's fairly well-respected, you will definitely come across mixed opinions.

I enjoy inverts, but I didn't 'get' Batman. Since I've heard so many good reviews of it, I think it's obvious that I just need to ride it again to get a better idea.

Honestly, Tatsu seems somewhat 'generic' to me. However, it has several obvious redeeming values to make it stand out: the flying aspect, the terrain, and the pretzel loop.

About time some others are on my side! Back on my homepark forum it's been a my park is better than yours discussion. I am giving Magic Mt nothing but praise. I am very surprised at what some have said...............

I don't know why Montezoomas is allowed to only have lap bars and Revy can't. Sooperdooperlooper is in a different state, thats all.

^ Revolution's restraints were modified in the early '90s. Having been modified, they had to comply with the law as it stood at the time of the modification. They simply can't go back to just lap bars.

I'm just glad I got to ride it in '76, long before the OTSRs and even headrests that first season.

Eric

So why did they modify the restraints on Revolution in the first place...did something happen to cause this, like an accident? Or did the park just go along with it because at the time they felt it was safer? And just out of curiosity, why did Knotts choose not to touch the restraints on MR?

Were the OTSR's in case it knocked down any more terrorists? *ducks for cover expecting that joke has probably been cracked several times in the previous 1300 pages*

Living the UK it simply defies belief that even those for whom SFMM is their local park they can still criticise it. Probably any of the top 10 coasters at SFMM would be a MAJOR attraction in the UK. And most wouldn't be allowed anywhere near AT for height reasons.

Wait... How fast does Superman go now? I have heard that it only goes 80, but some say it still goes 100. Also, why has it never gone to the top of the tower?

Can't answer how fast it's launched now but it's definitely less than 100mph. A coaster launched to a speed of 100mph will travel up to a height of approximately 377 feet*. The tower is over 400 feet tall. Even when the ride opened and it was operating at it's designed top speed of 100mph it never made it to the top of the tower. If the coaster is only launched to 80mph as your post suggests it should reach about 200 feet up the tower.

(*conversely, on a traditional coaster with a lift hill you'd need a drop of approx 377 feet to reach a speed of 100mph at the bottom)

From a friend that knows:

Superman: The Escape at SFMM is down and they are doing some much needed maintenance, possibly painting it, and both sides should be open when it comes back up. They can't launch both at the same time and they probably will never run them at 100 MPH ever again (though they can, they don't as it is quite expensive to do so).

Anyways, the major reason for the downtime is they are making one side go backwards. They have been testing it for some time now.

Edited by FrightFest1408