TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I think SFMM has a very good line up of coasters. The park doesn't have any that I would call top tier in their genre (except perhaps Tatsu). But it's the sum total that makes it interesting. And the removal of Flashback and Psyclone really helped. The only thing really missing is airtime and length, as someone mentioned. Something like Maverick (minus the inversions and OTSR) would make it a GREAT lineup imo. But I can't really complain.

Right now, with the world record in number of inversions, it's time for SFMM to take a break from doing anything loopy. Even though they went with an off the shelf Roller Skater as a family coaster, I still think there's room for a Pandemonium/Tony Hawk type ride. That would round out the family end of the collection in my opinion.

Think we'll ever see 20 coasters at the same time at SFMM?

Eric

Personally I was very impressed with SFMM's coaster collection. There are smaller parks with superior collections quality-wise, but I can appreciate quantity as well. The shortcomings I noticed were too many somewhat similar rides (i.e. the B&M collection, plus even more inverting coasters on top of that), and the fact that I found most of the good coasters to be "average good", not amazing. These factors certainly didn't directly affect my enjoyment of the park!

Even if they added more inversions I wouldn't care, if its another fun coaster then I am totally good with that. An Intamin 500 foot drop or Megalite coaster would be a lot of fun too. The 500 foot drop coaster would be a standard coaster, maybe have some inversions, a bunch of airtime, and way more than a mile long....record breaker is what I am thinking. That would be sweet. The largest park I have been to is MM and it is my favorite, I know its not the best and there are other parks that may have more or better coasters but I really enjoy my time at the mountain and look forward to going there every year, just wish it was closer. Next year though it will finally be a trip to Cedar Point, can't wait!

Right now, with the world record in number of inversions, it's time for SFMM to take a break from doing anything loopy. Even though they went with an off the shelf Roller Skater as a family coaster, I still think there's room for a Pandemonium/Tony Hawk type ride. That would round out the family end of the collection in my opinion.

I think Six Flags Magic Mountain is missing only two types of coasters in their lineup: a wild mouse/spinning coaster, and a complete circuit launched coaster. Unless one of those two incorporates inversions I don't think the park really needs to add them.

Possible, but unlikely. SFMM shouldn't try to just cram as many coasters into the park as possible just to say they can, and given the financial state of the company they can't really afford major new additions. My guess is that by the time Six Flags can afford three more coasters for the park they will have reached a point where one of their current coasters will have become too expensive/troublesome to keep.

I've said it before, and it's worth saying again: I like how SFMM isn't adding a coaster each and every year like they were in the late '90s/early '00s. The two- to three-year period between them is just right and gives us a chance to appreciate them. It's a far cry from 2000 when Goliath opened and a lot of enthusiasts were all excited ---for all of about two months before they started wondering what was coming next year.

Eric

Eric

Eric, I've been to Cedar Point and Kings Island this year, and have SFGam as my homepark, all 3 have quality and quantity, and Magic Mt has a better collection than any of these 3. The lineup is way better than decent. What makes it so great is that there is nothing rotten in it and it has so much depth from top to bottom. I would trade you in a heartbeat.

Personally I was very impressed with SFMM's coaster collection. There are smaller parks with superior collections quality-wise, but I can appreciate quantity as well. The shortcomings I noticed were too many somewhat similar rides (i.e. the B&M collection, plus even more inverting coasters on top of that), and the fact that I found most of the good coasters to be "average good", not amazing. These factors certainly didn't directly affect my enjoyment of the park!

Where are these smaller parks? I don't want to miss out.

^lol MM has a "decent" collection of coasters. I agree that the total sum is nice but individually only a few stand out. NO offense.

I agree.

There's nothing that is SPECIAL about this park (from the standpoint of the type of rollercoasters that are built here). Not to discount the significance of some of the rides (might I add however). Yes, it has a lot of coasters. But there is nothing quite unique (aside from X2). Then again, X2 is so rough for me (and starting to get boring) that I don't like it as much as it is praised by everyone.

I would trade Six Flags Magic Mountain for Great Adventure. Now, that park may not have as much variety as us, but they sure got unique, and top tier roller coasters.

This park is great, but there's nothing top tier about it.

I don't like inversions either.... inversions are starting to make me sick. What sucks is there are too many rides with inversions here.

* Disclaimer -Take my comments for what they are worth --- I've been visiting Six Flags MM on and off for the last 10 years.

^ & ^^^ A lot of people are going to say that about their home park because they have visited it so much. Being there only once, I think the quality of MM's coasters TRUMP any park's coaster collection around me, including Cedar Point (for the most part).

^^ You make a good point (as somebody who has been visiting the park for so long).

And I do see FeeltheFORCE's logic about those who haven't visited the park as much.

I've gone to SFMM every year since about 1979 (except 2006/2007) and in that time I've probably visited the park 150-200 times.

So I'm guessing in that time period one tends to get bored with the same old thing. But for me, there really is nothing that "Stands Out" at SFMM like at other parks. There isn't one ride at SFMM that I HAVE to ride everytime I'm at the park. Heck, in 6 or 7 visits to the park this year I think I've only ridden Tatsu twice and X2 3 times. I've only ridden Viper once (at WCB). I've only ridden Goliath and Revolution once as well.

When I go to the park I tend to spend about 2-3 hours just walking around. I will admit that the park is much nicer for those "walking around" days than it was a few years ago.

But I'd GLADLY exchange a Phoenix, Storm Runner, Maverick, Millennium Force, Superman Ride of Steel, Nitro, etc for ANYTHING SFMM has.

^ & ^^^ A lot of people are going to say that about their home park because they have visited it so much. Being there only once, I think the quality of MM's coasters TRUMP any park's coaster collection around me, including Cedar Point (for the most part).

I totally agree. Magic Mt. doesn't have anything nearly as bad as Mean Streak or Iron Wolf. Comparing Magic Mt. to my home park of SF Great America, you guys have a much better stand up, flyer, and wood. You still have Deja Vu and Viper that we lost. Plus we don't have a floorless or anything close to X2. X2 is my #1 ride. It's the only one in the country. I've been to Cedar Point and Magic Mt this year. Cedar is the better overall park, but Magic Mt has the better coaster collection. Appreciate what you have, it is OUTSTANDING. That's why I hope to fly out every year so I can experience it too.

Batman the worst invert? Mkay, you lost me right there sir, sorry.

I think SFMM absolutely has coasters that stand out. If it didn't, Scream wouldn't get so lost among them. I agree that the park lacks that one awesome El Toro, Superman (ROS) type ride that would put it over the top, and the park does lack a true top 5 rollercoaster of any type. But there is no denying this park has a very good line up of coasters. Sure if you've ridden them time and time again, you're going to begin to take it for granted. But for the rest of us who visit once every couple year if that, it's a fun collection of rides. Most people take their homeparks for granted though. When I lived in Jersey, I hated SFGadv's line up *until* they added El Toro!

Even just Terminator, Ninja, Riddler's, X2 and Tatsu alone (if you removed everything else), make this park worth visiting.

Edited by John Knotts

^I'm willing to bet that X2 is in a lot of peoples top 5.

Exactly, best ride I ever rode.

Magic Mt. doesn't have anything nearly as bad as Mean Streak or Iron Wolf.

Superman the Escape, Revolution, Colossus are all as bad if not worse, and I think Batman is the worst invert I have been on. Needless to say I don't agree with your statement.

Yes, these are Magic Mt. three worst coasters. But I didn't get off of any of these in pain.

Magic Mt. doesn't have anything nearly as bad as Mean Streak or Iron Wolf.

Superman the Escape, Revolution, Colossus are all as bad if not worse, and I think Batman is the worst invert I have been on. Needless to say I don't agree with your statement.

Revolution is horrible. That I agree with.

But lately I've been liking Superman and really Colossus. In the past I would have been happy to tear Superman down, but now I'm starting to like the simplicity of the ride, pending I get to it with no line (no wait). Just because I'm so tired of inversions.

Colossus is great for me. I'd put it in my top 5 of roller coasters here (as of this year) when I'm sitting in the back row. The front row is horrible. But the back is awesome.

Yes, these are Magic Mt. three worst coasters. But I didn't get off of any of these in pain.

You may get off one of them with a cracked cell phone screen aka Colossus.

Revolution just needs to get rid of the over the shoulder restriants. Those unneeded restraints make the ride less enjoyable. I have to brace my head and complain rather than enjoy such a classic.

At West Coast Bash, Tim Burkhart said the state made them put those on. It's not Magic Mt. that wanted them. It's too bad cause I'm guessing rev was a much better ride before them. I've only gotten to ride rev with them.