TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ I agree strongly that a drop tower is what Magic Mountain could use most just from viewing the park's ride lineup. However, I think that whatever the park does to Superman and Mr. Six's Dance Coaster will be all that you guys get next year.

^ And quite honestly, that'd be just fine. A revamped coaster and a "new" family coaster would be plenty for next year. Maybe a year or two later we'll get something really big.

I think a drop tower would be a good addition, but, like the previously mentioned Ferris wheel, they don't have the throughput that a coaster does. The park already has a few rides that just don't move enough people through---and, unfortunately, some of those are coasters.

Eric

I have always thought that a giant ferris wheel would be great where the 3 point challenge game is right now. That plaza there would seem good place at night to have a ferris wheel all illuminated. It always seemed weird that the park never had a true ferris wheel. I also tought a Huss giant frisbe would be good along the road leading up to X2 on the viper side behind where the roller coaster paintings are. And I think the old sierra sidewinder plot should be a more family friendly type of flat. Because it is right next to Bugs bunny world and Thomas Land. Anyway I could go on and on about the somewhat abandoned areas that are in the park and what could go there.

I also thought a Huss giant frisbee would be good along the road leading up to X2 on the viper side behind where the roller coaster paintings are.

What would be even better is a Huss Giant Frisbee 55. Never ever been made before, unfortunately.

It's even bigger than the standard Giant Frisbee...

Hey TPR!

I've been a member for a while and read all the updates, but i never posted anything haha.

I'm going to sfmm tomorrow. so sad they took out the audio on terminator ): i haven't been to sfmm in about 4 years even though i only live about 2 hours away. Anyways, anyone have any info on what to expect pertaining to crowds on a monday during summer?

I know it's been said billions of times..

but were still waiting for our drop tower!

If SFMM Does get a drop tower, I'm hoping they will try to give it some decent theming and story line. Oh, and also try to make it HIGH capacity since SFMM is lacking that type of ride.

As for other future attractions, why not build a small darkride/kiddie coaster in the old Wizard's Castle. It could be SFMM's version of a Dragon Coaster and could be a huge hit if marketed correctly...and if its not from Vekoma. After all, Dance Coaster is a rollerskater. If they did something like this they should call up Mack and order a Youngstar Coaster. After all it was announced they were going to make the park more kid friendly, a ride or coaster like this would be perfect.

Hey I can dream can't I?

I also thought a Huss giant frisbee would be good along the road leading up to X2 on the viper side behind where the roller coaster paintings are.

What would be even better is a Huss Giant Frisbee 55. Never ever been made before, unfortunately.

It's even bigger than the standard Giant Frisbee...

If it is bigger than Maxair then CP would be mad.

^ And quite honestly, that'd be just fine. A revamped coaster and a "new" family coaster would be plenty for next year. Maybe a year or two later we'll get something really big.

I think a drop tower would be a good addition, but, like the previously mentioned Ferris wheel, they don't have the throughput that a coaster does. The park already has a few rides that just don't move enough people through---and, unfortunately, some of those are coasters.

Eric

I think that the Roto-Drop towers like the one at Kings Dominion have a really high throughput. I forget how many that one sat, but I'd imagine it is at least 40-50 people.

^ Yeah, I forgot about those towers that hold 40-50 people at a time. I tend to think of the S&S towers when I think "drop tower." Something like Acrophobia would be nice, especially up on top of the mountain.

Also, when I walk up to X2, I do think about what could be added into that space between Viper and X2's queue area. Probably nothing really big, but definitely something. There are little pockets of space all over the park that could fit a flat ride or something. I have no doubts that Tim Burkhart and his staff can make good use of those areas in the future.

Eric

Eric

I think that the Roto-Drop towers like the one at Kings Dominion have a really high throughput. I forget how many that one sat, but I'd imagine it is at least 40-50 people.

If they consider this I hope that it gets a little more theming than Tatsu and Ninja got. Heck, pull out all the stops and add a storyline and onboard audio (that doesn't shake itself to pieces) along with an insanely large amount of theming and a large capacity per hour to create an eyepoping attraction you can see from the anywhere in the park. Just as long as they don't do a Hollywood theme (cough)Movieworld(cough).

^ Yeah, I forgot about those towers that hold 40-50 people at a time. I tend to think of the S&S towers when I think "drop tower." Something like Acrophobia would be nice, especially up on top of the mountain.

Also, when I walk up to X2, I do think about what could be added into that space between Viper and X2's queue area. Probably nothing really big, but definitely something. There are little pockets of space all over the park that could fit a flat ride or something. I have no doubts that Tim Burkhart and his staff can make good use of those areas in the future.

Eric

A well themed Top Spin Anyone?

Or maybe a Jump2?

SFMM could use Huss rides like that.

It was very much like a tea cup style ride....look through the site for Sea Paradise......they have a similiar crazy barrel style ride....also, I hope Robb and the gang doesnt mind, but I found this gem of a picture on the web.....goes way back....

1724038157_2galaxy_metro_parkinglot.JPG.0c49a221ac6e9fc20d5a9e790edf0bbd.JPG

^^ That's a great picture! Funny thing, though, I don't remember Galaxy being painted those funky colors. I always remember the giant arms as white, and the gondolas as the basic blue, green, red, and yellow. I wonder where that picture was taken from---it's at the wrong angle to have been taken from the Sky Tower.

Eric

We finally managed to visit Southern California on vacation 2 weeks ago. SFMM was the highlight of the vacation (We enjoyed it as much as we were disappointed in Knotts Berry).Platinum Pass meant we got on everything we wanted (Extra $60 for the 4 of us to get one ride on X2 was a bit extreme!) Terminator was the surprise of the trip, fantastic. We went on it 8 times in all and loved it. Would be great if the Platinum pass allowed you to skip the video build up though!). Definitely our fave Park in the USA, overtook Busch Gardens Europe. Now planning where to next in our annual USA expedition!

This may have no relation to SFMM, but over the weekend I went to my local SF park (SFStL) and noticed survey markings at the end of Mr. Freezes tunnel. ASked a friend who works in Operations about it and found out that both of the freeze coasters are being considered for retrofit from LIM to Launched systems as the cost of electricity is getting prohibitive these days.

Could mean that Superman will go from LIM launched to cable launched next year. NO proof other than that, but a possibility?

I've never heard a bad thing about Terminator. Just curious, how does it stack up to GCI's other woodies such as Prowler, Lightning Racer, Thunderhead, Roar, etc?

It definely stacks up to these rides...but I've only been on TSTR and Roar so I'm not sure about the others, It's definely an insane yet fun ride. And it has...CGI AIRTIME!!!

I definitely like Roar better than Terminator.

Roar has decent, consistent airtime and an exciting first drop. However, it's gotten pretty rough, even painful at times.

Terminator is perfectly smooth, and there are at least a couple of decent pops of airtime towards the beginning. It's fun, but it just didn't amaze me. Instead, it seemed very "average". No particular feature stood out as thrilling. I'm really not sure what I missed, and I'd like to ride it again to find out and possibly change my opinion.