TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So let's consider the possibilities (rumors) so far:

1) Turn one side around and launch it backwards, themed to Bizarro

2) Hydraulic launch making the ride taller and faster

3) Drop Tower added to the ride

4)Complete re-tracking, allowing the ride to do more (like navigate a giant bunny hill)

5) Possible new coaster, going over or possibly around the existing structure.

Do any of these sound realistic?

Also if you look around the chain at what the other "major" parks are doing, they're being as creative as possible with limited budgets. The Texas Giant conversion, re-located stand up and water park expansion. So it's resonable to assume SFMM will do something within that same range? So a giant rocket coaster seems out of the question, unless SFMM is the one exception, and I just don't see it.

^^I'm sure SF would already have a plan on what to do. It's not like they just close a ride, read the 'world's unofficially largest theme park forum' for ideas, and then do work based on ideas. If they really were reading our forums and working based on our ideas, SFMM would have an inverted-hyper-dueling-floorless-standup-X car-launched-shuttle-woodie with 13 inversions.

Here's my unrealistic hope:

New cars with stadium seating and on ride audio.

Hydraulic launch to go faster quicker.

Newly themed fortress of solitude.

GIANT superman audio animatronic at the top of the hill that battles with the guests to fend off some contrived enemy (bizzaro?).

The track and line would be rerouted so there is one loadstation on the right, the cars launch up the right tower to see superman (see above) then race back through the station and slow down. The cars go behind the station onto a trick track where guests could see a mini show projected on the screen while on the turntable ala spiderman. The cars then launch backwards through mist, sorbs and other effects, outside and on the left track then back down where the track switches at the bottom straight away into a giant sweeping curve around the entrance area, before diving into a downward break section into the fortress of solitude, then a turntable, and back into the station. The ride could probably run a total of three cars since. It would be a full circuit

Obviously the last few of the list is very unlikely but it still would be neat

I believe Magic Mountains best bet right now would be to:

1) Remove the inner track of Collosus for scrap, it's the crappier side.

2) Stop working on Mr. Six's Dance coaster, seriously. WHY!??

3) Sell one of Superman's Launch tracks but keep both vertical parts to use as supports.

4) Build a rocket coaster in place of the missing launch track and make it go over the top of the towers. It won't cost as much as, say, Kingda Ka because the major supports are already there. And think about the high revenue for the park if this happens. O.O

I think this is the best idea so far, it would even increase the Coaster Count.

^

1)Crazy talk!

2)Because they need another good 'family coaster', even if it requires you to be tallish.

3)More crazy talk.

4)Again. Also, wouldn't building a rocket coaster take away from S:TE? It would be more practical to either keep S:TE and make changes or demolish the whole structure and replace it with the Rocket Coaster, or even something else.

Sure, those are all very interesting ideas (I honestly think so), but let's face it. It's most likely not going to happen. The changes will probably be something much more reasonable.

The popular idea of turning the car backward is impractical too, because of reasons mentioned above and more. As is the idea of completely converting the coaster to hydraulic launch. Interesting, faster, more intense, yes. But I honestly don't see how the hydraulic launch system could work.

I think it would be more practical to make the system more power effecient. Electromagnetic technology is changing rapidly, and I'm sure Intamin has systems today that could be much more effecient (and maybe even more powerful) than their systems from 1997. I also think the idea of a drop tower may be good. Sure, they would really have to redesign the supports to allow a drop tower. But I still think it can be done.

^

1)Crazy talk!

2)Because they need another good 'family coaster', even if it requires you to be tallish.

3)More crazy talk.

4)Again. Also, wouldn't building a rocket coaster take away from S:TE? It would be more practical to either keep S:TE and make changes or demolish the whole structure and replace it with the Rocket Coaster, or even something else.

Sure, those are all very interesting ideas (I honestly think so), but let's face it. It's most likely not going to happen. The changes will probably be something much more reasonable.

The popular idea of turning the car backward is impractical too, because of reasons mentioned above and more. As is the idea of completely converting the coaster to hydraulic launch. Interesting, faster, more intense, yes. But I honestly don't see how the hydraulic launch system could work.

I think it would be more practical to make the system more power effecient. Electromagnetic technology is changing rapidly, and I'm sure Intamin has systems today that could be much more effecient (and maybe even more powerful) than their systems from 1997. I also think the idea of a drop tower may be good. Sure, they would really have to redesign the supports to allow a drop tower. But I still think it can be done.

how is removing a side of colossus and S:TE crazy talk? They only run one side every half a year, anyways. IT's easy money. And that's the thing, they are going to put a dance coaster... how is that going to make the place family friendly? They should just face it, Magic Mountain is the bad*** of all amusement parks. Adding kiddie rides? You have to be kidding me.

And how exactly is turning the car backwards "impractical"?? Is it because of the emergency brakes? By the time the car reaches it, it has already slowed down to around 10 mph. So it is not very dangerous.

^Removing a side of Colossus is complete crazy talk:

1) Why?!

2) Removing a side would make the superstructure weaker and probably not up to standards.

3) It'd cost a TON to tear it down.

4) Colossus's wood would barely sell for anything...if even.

5) It wouldn't free up any more space.

6) As of now, Colossus has basically 0% downtime for yearly maintenance due to them being able to switch tracks, why would they create an inconvenience for the guests?

Honestly, unless they do something super cool, I'd rather have SFMM spend the money on getting an ACTUAL family coaster. It's something the park really lacks (honestly, I'd only consider Goldrusher and Ninja to be their two family coasters), and they're not as expensive as big coasters! Honestly, Tony Hawk's Big Spin was 6.5 mil. to build, I'm betting that if they make any significant upgrades to S:tE, it'll come out to equal or greater than that (could be wrong). The big problem is that the GP might not even really know that they did anything new, they'll see the big tower and probably think that it's the same old ride (case in point, Terminator = Psyclone?). So yeah, unless they figure out how to put a drop tower on there, or drastically change the ride somehow, I really am not liking this investment at all. Hopefully, however, SFMM proves me wrong!

I decided to do a little "recreation" of the crazy rocket coaster idea that people got. I made it in my 90% perfect recreation of SFMM in RCT3 (lol). It ended up having a height of 482 feet and a drop of 424 feet. It honestly would be an AMAZING addition to the park, and boost revenue like never before. But there is no way Magic Mountain owners are cool enough to give us the tallest, fastest ride in the world.

I think they are just going to make the ride taller. Faster. Heck, that's even what the sign says. And it would also make since because Superman standing there was probably in the way for construction.

3) Sell one of Superman's Launch tracks but keep both vertical parts to use as supports.

4) Build a rocket coaster in place of the missing launch track and make it go over the top of the towers. It won't cost as much as, say, Kingda Ka because the major supports are already there. And think about the high revenue for the park if this happens. O.O

You might wanna check your math a bit. Your taking away three coasters and only adding one new. Therefore deceasing the coaster count.

You might wanna check your math a bit. Your taking away three coasters and only adding one new. Therefore deceasing the coaster count.

actually, they only count colossus as one ride. and also superman: TE is one ride. and mr six's dance coaster does not count yet. soo...yeah...

All i want them to do is at least

REPAINT IT

RUN BOTH SIDES

MAKE THEM GO ALL THE WAY UP

and those are probably guaranteed to happen because of the 7 month wait. so yay!

^ Everywhere I've heard counts each track as a different coaster.

Anyway, the only realistic things I can think that might happen are,

1. Repainting and opening both sides

2. New trains

3. Re-engineered to be quieter and run better (Full launch speed )

4. Possibly a drop tower

Honestly those are the only things that (In my opinion) that might happen.

^ agreed.

as for the new trains, i hope one of them is reverse. there is nothing stopping them from doing it. they don't even need shoulder harnesses, maybe just restraints that you would find on Goliath or Top Thrill Dragster. Only thing to worry about is people getting tossed forward from the initial thrust. So I guess there is only a 50% chance the ride will have a backwards launch.

90% chance of repaint

100% chance of it going full speed, possibly higher.

50% chance both sides will be able to run at the same time.

20% chance of a drop tower

60% chance of a Bizarro transformation (doesn't necessarily need backwards cars)

.5% of a rocket coaster

My guess is that they are going for world's tallest coaster. I have no information to back this up, but it just seems like a good fit. Magic Mountain has received plenty of innovative/record breaking rides, and it's about the right time for them to get another. I think the LSMs are probably gone. Again, pure speculation. I could see them building a rocket coaster with the existing structure.

We should start a pool. TPR BOC for the winner?

Another percentage I have is

88% chance of them going for a record.

All they have to do is add more track and heck, they can just be lazy about the speed and leave it the same.

I think you can just cross the idea of a Rocket Coaster from your mental list of ideas.

I WANT ONE! LETS FORM A PETITION!

Edited by whatdoidoppp