TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Funny how I too overheard a GP conversation while I was on Batman after the had ended..we were waiting for us to be moved to the station when I hear these girls talking about wooden coasters...the first one asks, "Whats a wooden coaster?"... The other girl gives her the obvisous answer and she ends up replying "Well, thats so stupid, why would they make a ride out of wood?!"... That made me chuckle a bit The audio on X2 was working fine with me though I did notice one side of the flamethrowers were working like you said... And yes I got the back row alone...I thought I was gonna kick myself in the face through that last raven turn

Hmm closing that much of the mountain down may be the start of the 2011 addition, there is really no point for guest to be past laughing dragon with Supes down I've just never known them to block off that much area for a ride rehab. Maybe laughing dragon will become the station for a new coaster. Dreaming here but could you imagine coming down the 5 and seeing a lift hill like I305s sitting on top of the mountain

Anyways back to reality

I'd love to see a non inverting Premier launch coaster nothing but airtime crazy banked turns and sick transitions, It would make the most sense for the park IMO they need a thrilling launch coaster with an amazing layout.

It could just as likely be that they broke an expensive part, or found some issues with the paperwork (example: how KBF misunderstood Xcelerator's SOP) and need to actually do rehab work to be compliant.

No one really knows...but one does need to think...that with all the major cost-cutting steps the new management team is doing at SFI, and being that we're still in a major recession and SFI just came out of a bankruptcy and needs to immediately cut out a huge chunk of their debt.....would this mean that corporate is really willing to spend millions at this point to have SFMM take down Superman and put up a huge, pricey coaster in its place? Who knows...doesnt really seem probable or logical, but that company doesnt always stick to logic. I myself tend to think they they have shut it down for cost cutting purposes....just about every other park in the chain is cutting back hours and operational procedures right now....this could be a way for the Mountain to save some money....though it would be a horrible habit for them to pick up. However, since the sign supposedly says they are making way for improvements or a future 2011 attraction, then maybe I am wrong.

I think it is just a way to basically "turn off the light" for awhile, considering Superman is one of the most expensive rides to run as it is. Everytime I have gone to Magic Mountian, the lines for it are not substantial to call it an "E" ticket attraction. But then agian, the park only runs one side every 6 months really, so I can be wrong as well. I doubt it will be torn out though for a bigger coaster. That just seems wasteful, financially speaking of course.

I also think it's down to save money. Having said that though, the fact that they would have to shut this ride down mid-summer is an obvious sign that the ride (in it's current form) is no longer a viable option long term. Especially given it's low capacity, power draining, lack of interest and inability to run as intended. Something indeed does need to be done with this ride whether it's next year, or 3 years from now.

^ Funny how I too overheard a GP conversation while I was on Batman after the had ended..we were waiting for us to be moved to the station when I hear these girls talking about wooden coasters...the first one asks, "Whats a wooden coaster?"... The other girl gives her the obvisous answer and she ends up replying "Well, thats so stupid, why would they make a ride out of wood?!"... That made me chuckle a bit The audio on X2 was working fine with me though I did notice one side of the flamethrowers were working like you said... And yes I got the back row alone...I thought I was gonna kick myself in the face through that last raven turn

Also the ride op at Goliath said enjoy the 1000 foot drop on goliath and some people actually believed it and started freaking out. It was funny. On X I was on the outside seat and my friend is way way heavier than me and sat on the inside I thought I was going to die on the last raven turn

Isn't the "coaster war" between Cedar Point and Magic Mountain supposed to be starting up again? Nah....that'll never happen.

The way Great Adventure is getting coasters and such, it is rapidly coming into that race as well. But with the dance coaster coming in 2011, It will spark intrest agian I suppose.

It seems like there could be a few other parks also entering that "contest".

Kings Island, Kings Dominian, Carowinds, and even Canada's Wonderland are all close in competition for number of coasters.

Of course, they would all still have a good amount to go before even having a chance with Cedar Point or Magic Mountain.

I went up to the park recently and was just curious, when did SFMM start having its employees do the high five thing? I know SFDK is all about the high fives and it works well for them, but I was kind of thrown off by it's lack luster enthusiasm and complete randomness at SFMM...

Just on Superman, in Australia, Superman's Cousin the Tower of Terror is currently understandably going through a major ride overhaul, with reportedly a new Pod and launching system reconfigurations as just the tip of the iceberg.

Is it reasonable to think that Superman is receiving similar treatment?

Ya I heard the same thing about superman...Read on screamscape that Six Flags closed it down after the 4th of july weekened.. Maybe the changes that Six Flags wanted to to with it are true or maybe cut backs.. Read also on screamscape that it might be down until next 2011...But who knows for sure, until offical word gets out

Hey all! I'm headed down to the Mountain on Wednesday, does anyone know if they're still doing the "$10 for Charity=Early Entry" at the front gates?

I was there in late June and no one approached me and my group (dad and his GF) about early entry for 10 dollars.

However we were the first 3 in line so it didn't matter. Terminator was a walk on ride when we got in.. everyone else (seemingly all less then 35) seemed to run to X2 and Tatsu.