TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ I don't mind the advertisements either, but I'm interested to know how successful they are for the companies.

This is the hardest question for any company to decipher when it comes to advertising, which is basically "how can you tell whether advertising is working and if it is, which one is working the most?"

It is very interesting. I'd imagine low costs to advertise to a wide variety of guests has more to do with it than anything. Especially considering SF basically leaves the ads there until they rot away so the residuals go on for years.

But I can tell you one thing, no matter how much money Stride spends to advertise around the park, I'm never going to buy a pack of their gum again. It stinks!

Um this is interesting....

Theme park to host MMA event

MMA and boxing show will take place July 31 at Magic Mountain

Professional mixed martial arts is headed to the Santa Clarita Valley.

In a joint venture with Six Flags Magic Mountain, the California Fight Syndicate will put on a professional MMA/boxing event on July 31 at the Golden Bear Theater inside the park, featuring fighters from around the area.

"This is a opportunity for a lot of local guys to step into the spotlight and really shine and show everyone who they are," said California Fight Syndicate co-promoter Anthony Arria. "Some people have a chance to do it with the UFC, some people with Strikeforce, but we have a chance to do it with local guys in front of a local audience."

Tickets are on sale now and are $40 for general admission and $100 for VIP seating. Access to the park is included in the price.

"I think a lot of the people that like Magic Mountain and like the rides are the same people that like watching MMA," said co-promoter Jeff Restivo. "It's an extreme sport and I think those are the same people that like the adrenaline rush of the rides. And at the same time, you can have people of all ages come into the show."

The card is expected to be finalized on Friday and is slated for eight MMA bouts and two boxing matches.

While the breakdown could change, Arria said MMA will be the primary focus.

It is the first split MMA and boxing event for the promotion, which has also held shows in Santa Barbara, Ventura and Santa Maria since its inception a year and a half ago.

The event at Magic Mountain will mark the California Fight Syndicate's seventh show.

Arria, who serves as the organization's matchmaker, said they expect "six or seven top-of-the-line A-list MMA celebrities."

Since becoming legal in California in 2005, MMA has attracted its share of controversy.

However, Restivo said the perception of the sport, which blends striking and submission skills, continues to evolve.

"I think that is definitely starting to change with time," he said. "I think a lot of people are realizing that it really is a sport and requires a lot of skill and dedication. I think 10 years ago when the sport first started, it was bar brawlers and people got in without much training. ... The majority of people getting in there are well-trained. It is a competition, not just people going to watch people get hurt. It's people watching a physical chess match."

Tickets are available through Beach City Tickets and can be purchased at http://www.cafightsyndicate.com or by calling (805) 866-1433.

"To be able to have it as Magic Mountain is huge," Arria said. "I don't know of any organization that has thrown an MMA event at a theme park. It's definitely going down in history."

http://www.the-signal.com/section/22/article/30257/

I went to the Mountain today and had a wonderful day. We were able to ride everything and we arrived at the park at about 1:30. I just do not like the advertising throughout the park. There was too much on Viper, Revolution, and Ninja. This is just what I feel though.

The only advertisement at the Mountain that's ever really bothered me is that damn "We are Miracle Whip. And we will not tone it down." ad that loops while you're queuing. I think hearing that a couple more times could drive me to suicide.

I have a random question here that's been bothering me for a few years. Why did Magic Mountain close the monorail and if they are not going to re-open it, why is it still standing? Also I had heard a few years ago they were planning on re-opening it, what happened to that plan?

Ok, this was answered during Q and A at WCB. First off they said that since the ride hasn't been open for so long that it would have to be re-inspected by the state as if if were a new ride, and it would not meet code. Also, it would be too expensive to retrofit. They also said that there were plans at one time to use the track for the Thomas Town train, but again after they did some research they found that this really wasn't an option. So in short they said it would never run again.

I have a random question here that's been bothering me for a few years. Why did Magic Mountain close the monorail and if they are not going to re-open it, why is it still standing? Also I had heard a few years ago they were planning on re-opening it, what happened to that plan?

I don't know why they closed it and I don't know if they intend on opening it again. But I must add that it doesn't make a lot of sense to incur an additional expense in tearing it down. So just leave it as is. It's not even really noticeable anyway.

Have you guys been seeing those Six Flags commercials lately?

Roller coasters. Roller coasters. Roller coasters. More roller coasters. More coasters. More fun!

Of course... I'm loving it because I would want them to focus on roller coasters and to possibly build only roller coasters for the foreseeable future, but we are all aware that that may not be the greatest strategy. (No need for a lecture).

Besides X2, which everyone already knows about, what roller coaster do you think is worth it's own commercial? Just curious

The Kingda Ka and Intimidator 305 clones that they're planning on building at our park next year. Duh!

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but the speakers on Terminator were removed from the trains when i visited Saturday.

They were also doing the $10 early entry for X2 as they had done the previous weekend, but this time without the souvenir/refill cup. About 100 took up the offer & this time & you could only have the one ride on X2. Still it allowed me to ride the other coasters in the park mostly queue free ( & get multiple re-rides) while people were still in line to ride X2.

They should do this every day.

Is Magic Mountain crowded on summer weekdays?

Its not super crowded but i would still expect quite a wait for the good rides ie X2 tatsu dejavu, the rest of the park should be ok maybe a 30 min wait. I might go in the next couple weeks. Best days are mon - thurs

good luck