TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The speakers around the tunnel is a great solution, and should be done. While the onboard audio is nice, I don't think it is a priority for the appeal of the ride. I would rather have them take the on board audio budget and replace the tarps on the exterior q with a wooden pergola. And dare I dream overhead fans? The ride is generally photogenic, and this is true elsewhere in the park, except for those awful tarps. 100% hopeful that Colossus will once again be a great ride if it is refurbed.

And the KFC double down is good, just be sure to plan to excersize after consumption.

Personally, if they are gonna turn it into a wood/steel hybrid, i'd just as soon see them tear it down and put something else there, maybe a tilt-a-whirl.

If that ever happened, and its unlikely they would do that, I'd much rather they replace it with a custom Intamin Pre-fab and/or a Hurricane Harbor expansion.

If that ever happened, and its unlikely they would do that, I'd much rather they replace it with a custom Intamin Pre-fab and/or a Hurricane Harbor expansion.

They could replace Colossus with El Toro, and the GP would think they just stripped the paint off Colossus and renamed it.

I was at the park this past Tuesday and I was listening in on a convo of GP.

They were looking at Deja Vu and said ... "oh, there's The Riddler's Revenge" and referring to Terminator.... "there's the wooden roller coaster, Colossus that's supposed to be somewhere near this green ride....so we are in the right area of the park."

Hurricane Harbor expansion? We are talking about a coaster that people might chain themselves to if they decide to demo it and you want to put a water park expansion in it's place? I'd be onboard for a new coaster, maybe something indoor, i'll even accept a steel track over Hurricane Harbor.

I would not mind seeing Colossus get steel track installed as long as the ride was going to be made into something different. It can still be a dual tracked out-and-back coaster, but I'd like to see some of the types of changes that are occurring on Texas Giant apply to Colossus as well (increased height, steeper drops, high-speed turns, more airtime). If the park installed steel track but kept the ride exactly the same as it is now, I would rather the ride just be demolished. However, if Colossus is removed from the park I think it should be replaced with something better than the ride was when it originally opened.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a racing version of El Toro in the park where Colossus is. As for Taking the Tunnel....please like put up a sign or speakers yelling Take The Tunnel. lol.

Andrew "One could dream the impossible" Iorio

Since the audio system on Terminator is dead. I think if they wanted to add just a little audio and do i cheaply, the tunnel would be the best place. Its the only enclosed place on the ride where an audio speaker could blast out "take the tunnel" and you would actually hear it. On the same note they could put some kind of audio at the beginning and end of the ride, would kind of give you a beginning middle and end. I mean the "here they come" could be as your leaving the station, take the tunnel and then whatever at the end maybe music, those are the only things i ever heard anyway. Being as the ride is themed "industrial" they could just put up some industrial speakers and wouldn't have to theme anything just pretty much install it.

^ That seems like a better Idea. I remember my ride on it, I couldn't hear a thing. What about putting speakers on the track, instead of the roller coaster, in the station, on the lift, near the tunnel, and at the end of the ride.

Hurricane Harbor expansion? We are talking about a coaster that people might chain themselves to if they decide to demo it and you want to put a water park expansion in it's place? I'd be onboard for a new coaster, maybe something indoor, i'll even accept a steel track over Hurricane Harbor.

Umm, has anyone heard about the actual expansion? NEW IN 2010! Come splash and play in Mr. Six's Splash Island, designed especially for kids.

^Yeah Elissa mentioned it quite a bit of pages back. It looks nice and you can see it from most coasters in the park. It really looks nice and stands out in the water park.

Andrew "I might try Hurricane Harbor out for the first time" Iorio

^^It opened Memorial Day weekend. We'll go check it out at some point, but the park isn't open during the week still and it's water isn't nice and heated like the Legoland Water Park so we're a bit spoiled right now!

Remember, this isn't actually an "expansion" as it takes the place of the old kiddie area. They just swaped out one area for the other. And while the new area does look much nicer, and does add a few things, it does't expand the water park, at least not in terms of actual size.

--Robb

Personally, I don't think Colossus is that bad. I have not experienced any roughness on it. And while it's no Phoinex, I have gotten some airtime, and some positive Gs on Colossus.

There is a good moment of airtime right when you crest the 2nd hill right before you turn. I only find it rough at the bottom of the hills. As much as I look forward to the upgrade, I would greatly miss the current version which is one of the most iconic coasters in the world.

People might hate me for this comment, but I think Colossus is a lot better than Terminator.

I'm a drops guy. Colossus ain't got any great drops; but the one good thing about the ride is that you can expect to go up and down. Terminator on the other hand, meh, some tunnels, smoother...faster... doesn't do anything for me to be honest.

I'm all for Colossus getting some attention.