TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I agree with you Robb, but I still want to believe that the money on the Dance Coaster has already been spent, and that it will come as a 'family bonus' with any major attraction announced for 2011. Maybe not, the trivial amount of money spent on such a small coaster would be an easy addition to attract the 'family crowd' that SFMM has been so eager to gain, that I don't think it would be worth it to the park to just re-ship it somewhere else. I say, open it in addition to whatever awesome may be coming in 2011. In my weird mind, I really think that would be a valuable marketing tool.

Some money already been spent, sure, but think of the additional money that would have to continue to be spent. I'll bet it costs more than $30k per year just to keep a ride op crew staffed at that ride. And that doesn't even include the overhead to keep it running, annual maintenance, etc, etc.. I'm sure the annual cost to keep a little coaster like that around is probably closer to $100k. And if it gets the lower ridership like Thomas the Tank engine does, is that money really well spent? I dunno.

Why not ship it to a park like Six Flags St. Louis...which doesn't have a kiddie coaster...AT ALL!!! At least Six Flags Magic Mountain already has TWO kiddie coasters. There are other parks in the chain that are totally missing that demographic all together.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

But if there's anything we've learned from Six Flags over the past couple years, its that families are where the money's at! What are they doing, this is a huge letdown, what a step in the wrong direction for the park!

Pffffft! Thank GOD someone finally got the "Magic Mountain should cater to families" head out of their ass. Like Robb's said, just make the park nice and pleasant, we've already learned from the eerily dead Thomas Town this isn't a place for kids still in their strollers.

Like I said before, this ride is probably never going to go in. It's just too bad they already demolished all of those old buildings that could have been retrofitted, as we probably won't see any type of theming replace it.

I could see Mr. Six's Dance Coaster working at SFMM if it is a part of a new area. If the park added an area with three or four family-friendly flat rides and this coaster it would probably work. It could probably be made better if the area had one or two more thrilling flat rides and a smaller thrill coaster (probably something by Intamin). Oh, and it would be really nice if it had a drop tower as well. I doubt this will happen due to Six Flag's financial state, but it would probably be the best way to attract families.

I could see Mr. Six working really well in that type of situation, but as a stand alone coaster it doesn't seem like the best fit. Given where the ride is planned to be located, it seems like very few people within the target audience range will venture back there. I just really don't think the ride will give the park much of an attendance boost or family appeal boost on its own. Therefore, it would probably be better off at a park that either doesn't have a kidde coaster, or has a gap between a real tiny coaster (Percy sized) and a milder thrill coaster (Terminator or similar).

Six Flags Magic Mountain has always had a reputation as the most extreme roller coaster park in the west, and I think it would take quite a bit to change that. I have no clue what's going to happen with this ride, but I don't see much advantage to building it.

Well, I think Dance Coaster is MUCH better than the two kiddie coasters we already have, although having two other [roller skaters] ALREADY in so cal, I can see that it is useless. I DO think it would be more popular than Thomas and Canyon Blaster, but you are probably right about it not fitting into the business strategy that SFMM is known for. The only other defense I have is that SFSL is not a Flagship Park, as SFMM is. I just think the 100k upkeep, while expensive to you and I, is pennies compared to any of the other major rides.

You are probably right, as I completely respect your well versed experience in the business. I guess I am just being forum-ey about it all I suppose we will see what happens!

Being SO FAR from any other children rides, maybe it would be more successful being called 'Babysitter: The Ride?'

I actually thought this coaster was a good idea until they announced the height requirement. There's not much else they could do with that particular site, so something kids theoretically should have been able to ride would have been perfect. Right now the only thing on the back side of the park kids under 42" can ride is Scrambler!

I'm glad someone realized that once they dropped the ball with the height thing, it really wasn't worth it for the park to invest in something they REALLY couldn't get a return on. WAY too wimpy for thrill seekers, but little kids wouldn't have been able to ride! Remember that when they branded themselves the "Xtreme Park," it was Goliath Jr. that put them over the record! So there is a place for marketing complimentary rides for the "little thrill seekers" while still fitting in with their niche, but the way ride was currently going to be installed wasn't going to do that.

SFMM has been the extreme park for years and adding more extreme rides isn't going to win away anyone from Disney parks. They are already the extreme park, they already have that market locked up, adding more coasters might give them a spike in the short term, but the only way they are going to get more long term attendance is to lure in families. Families are where the money is at anyways, Disney isn't huge because its got the most coaster, its huge because it's a family experience.

If SFMM had more family friendly rides, people visiting Disney might choose to go north to SFMM, instead of south to Sea World. SFMM does better than a lot of the theme parks across the country, but falls short in SoCal. I love SFMM, but thats because i grew up with it, but people from out of state looking for somewhere to take their kids probably don't even consider SFMM, the world is not full of coaster enthusiasts. I was really impressed at how family friendly the parks we visited during Bay Area Bash were and intend on going back just to take the kids. If those parks were like SFMM I'd skip taking the kids there.

My kids actually like the kiddy rides at SFMM, but my oldest daughter is starting to get into coasters and theres a big gap that i think Mr. Six would have filled, provided they got the height requirement right. I mean look at Toon Town, theres no shortage of people waiting to ride that coaster.

Thomas town failed because it sucks, not because it's a family ride. My kids never get tired of Casey Jr at Disneyland, or the scenic railroad at Camp Snoopy, of the full size Thomas during "day out with thomas" at the railway museum. Six Flags needs to stop thinking that if you brand something that automatically makes it good. Sure Disney uses its characters, but they also do some pretty amazing things with their ride concepts. You can put a Thomas sticker on a turd, but that don't make it a train (even if its steaming).

I just wish i could enjoy the park with my kids more, no Mr. Six, guess ill be renewing those Sea World passes.

Well I got back from the park last night around 6:30. Went and visited the mall just up the street. But anywho, yesterday the rain was pouring at the 5 and 210 interchange but there was light rain at the park. The park was empty by empty I mean we got to re-ride Terminator about 13 times without getting off and X2 5 times in about 30 minutes. The ride ops were simply amazing at every ride. They were very friendly giving hi-fives, they worked as if they were enjoying the rides and dispatching very well. As I mentioned EVERYONE ran to X2 first so I walked to Terminator and rode it 5 times in a row in the rain. No misters, no audio, but FIRE! X2 had the audio working yet no fire. I blame the rain for that one. But all in all a good day that will get better today with a Gold Flash Pass.

Andrew "Day 2 Here I come" Iorio

Ride Count

Terminator-15

X2-8

Tatsu-2

Riddler's Revenge-1

Batman-1

Goliath-1 (Only ecause my friend blacked out in black-out corner)

The Karate Kid Ri.....err I mean....Ninja-1

Superman-1

^ That's odd, I rode X2 at about 11:15 and there was fire. And Superman wasn't even open. I can't ever remember them not opening Superman in the morning due to weather and reopening later in the day.

As for ride times, X2 and Tatsu were both pretty long all day when I was there, I waited about 30 minutes for X2.

As far as Mr. Six ... is it possible for them to take out Clown Coaster/Goliath Jr/Thomas and put Mr. Six in that spot with a Thomas theme? Granted, it would be stupid with a 42" height requirement, but if they could get it down to 35", put it in that place as a "new thomas attraction" it could increase attendance for that little area (which I have to admit, is quite nice).

Heck, would Mr. Six even fit where Swiss Twist was with a Thomas theme? It's right there.

^IDK if this would work. I think the Swiss Twist area might be too small. On the other hand, I think putting that ride where they were planning was about the best part of the Mr. 6 idea that they had. It's an area of the park that aside from Deja Vu & Terminator, is seriously devoid of attractions. They need to have more stuff to do in that area to get people to stay there and spend money on other things like food, merch & games. Right now it seems like it is only a housing area for 2 coasters & their switchbacks. After riding these rides, people move on up the hill, or over to the upcharge area. Right now it's kinda just a pass through with two rides.

^^ Guy, I agree with you, I liked the idea of having Mr. Six back there. But with Thomas Town not being very popular it might increase ridership in that area.

Plus, getting rid of the one Thomas coaster that NOBODY rides and replacing with Mr. Six (with Thomas Theme) that MORE people can ride (assuming they get the height requirement down) would help offset the cost of staffing, etc.

^

True but the thing with the gold flash pass now is working kind of differente. The gold pass "only" cuts 60% of the wait time so if the wait time is 60 minutes you still have to wait like 24 minutes or so to ride it again. With platinum you get almost inmediately on the ride. Also it was my first time at the park and I had to go with a tour company which had a schedule so I got like 7 hours at the park and not the whole day, and I had an extreme desire to ride all the coasters I could

"SERIOUSLY!? That sucks. Are you still able to ride all of the rides in time before closing? DO you have time to re ride any with the 20 min wait?

^^ Guy, I agree with you, I liked the idea of having Mr. Six back there. But with Thomas Town not being very popular it might increase ridership in that area.

Plus, getting rid of the one Thomas coaster that NOBODY rides and replacing with Mr. Six (with Thomas Theme) that MORE people can ride (assuming they get the height requirement down) would help offset the cost of staffing, etc.

I think they should put a petting zoo in that location. Kids love animals.

They do. I petted a Goat

They do. I petted a Goat

That wasn't a goat, that was Sylvester.

Got back yesterday from my two day trip. X2 was closed most of the day yesterday due to wind but I got to ride it at around 10 PM. The park was somewhat crowded with 45-1 1/2 lines on everything. Had a Gold Flash Pass so that took care if that. But all in all a GREAT 2 days at the park. Every employee was friendly and the ride ops were amazing with how they interacted with the riders.

As for the effects Terminator now has no mist and audio but fire. SO we may have to yell Take the Tunnel ourselves. X2 had all effects working. Fun two days at the park.

Ride Count

Terminator-13

X2-1

Goliath-7

Colossus-1

Viper-1

Batman-1

Deja Vu-1

I was also at the park yesterday, and was able to get in almost everything once. Terminator didn't have any effects running for my ride,

and X only had audio when I went on at about 4. Pretty crowded day overall, but still able to do a good amount. Only complaint is from Tatsu.

The ride ops were very lazy and the main person kept on singing very loudly over the mic. in the station. Even with the dual station working,

it was about a 45min. wait when it should have only been a 15min. wait. Riddler looked very long most of the day as well. Anyone who went yesterday,

were they only running one train? While waiting in line for Batman, I probably only saw Riddler go around maybe twice.

Very fun and windy day with a first-time friend.

Did everything except,

Riddler, Superman, Scream, and Colossus.

I was also at the park yesterday and it was pretty crowded, however my friends and I still got on everything we wanted to.

I rode Terminator three times yesterday; and there was no audio, no fire, and no mist. I only rode X2 once at around 10pm as well, and there was no mist or fire, but the audio was working. I was so happy when we walked by and saw X2 was opened, because I would have left the park with a feeling of emptiness if I didn't get to ride it. Riddler was running one train, which was really annoying. I asked the ride op why they weren't running two, and he told me that he had no idea.

Despite some crowds, we didn't get Flashpasses because we didn't feel like spending the money, and even though we were waiting in line, we still entertained ourselves. We tried Longhorn's BBQ for the first time, and it was actually not that bad. I could have eaten a lot more than the portion that they give you, though. It was definitely one of the best and most memorable trips I've ever had to the park, and I got a new X2 shirt! I was thinking about getting a Batman shirt, but I have a few of those already. Thank you SFMM for a great day!

Ride count:

Terminator - 3 (walk on all three times)

Goldrusher - 1 (walk on)

Riddler's Revenge - 1 (1 hour)

Batman - 2 (walk on both times)

Atom Smasher - 1 (walk on)

Grindergear Works - 1 (walk on)

Scream! - 1 (walk on)

Colossus - 1 (walk on)

Goliath - 2 (45 minutes first time during the day, 15 minutes second time at night)

Log Jammer - 1 (10 minutes)

Yosemite Sam's Sierra Falls - 1 (walk on)

Tatsu - 1 (15 minutes)

X2 - 1 (30 minutes)

^There's a rumor that Riddler now only has two trains and one was sent to a certain Six Flags park that may or may not be getting a second hand B&M Stand Up in the future.

That would mean Riddler would be down to two trains, and almost always has one out of commission so that could be adding to the problems.

^^ Plus, getting rid of the one Thomas coaster that NOBODY rides and replacing with Mr. Six (with Thomas Theme) that MORE people can ride (assuming they get the height requirement down) would help offset the cost of staffing, etc.

Hey my kids love that coaster, problem is its only for kids and a lot of kids that age are still afraid of coasters. So if they can't ride it with a parent then they don't go at all. Of course, my kids have been on other coasters before, so Percy wasn't scarey. Actually, i've seen more kids re-ride Percy than Thomas.

I actually think that Thomas could be semi-saved with some retheming, it's not going to be a monster attraction, but they could have really made it look like sodor on the tv show. Even if they just made facades out of plywood it would be better than just boring standard landscaping. It's not like they had to imagine what it should look like, theres a whole series of videos for them to look at. I mean look at Casey Jr., not much to it but its fun to ride through all the scenery. Thomas needed to be looked at like an outdoor dark ride, train rides are all about the scenery.

I think the location for Mr. Six was good because it would give kids the feeling they were riding a real coaster. Also, i think they wanted to draw kids up to the game area along with their parents to spend money. I really would like to see them add family attractions around the park, instead of squeezing everything into one corner.

^There's a rumor that Riddler now only has two trains and one was sent to a certain Six Flags park that may or may not be getting a second hand B&M Stand Up in the future.

Yeah, can anyone who goes to the park report on if Riddler still even has three trains available?

--Robb