TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I recall this being addressed at one of the WCB Q&A's. I think the misters just fell into a state of disrepair. Probably just needs a new pump and nozzles. It was one of the things they said they had on their "to do" list. Of course, I think this was also the very first WCB Q&A from a few years ago as well...

^^^ Yes, there was fog in the tunnel on Goliath---and it was a great effect, too. What I'm not sure about is why such a simple effect like fog goes out so fast. Terminator's tunnel no longer has it, X2's bottom-of-the-raven-turn fog is gone, Goliath's tunnel is off, and Jet Stream's little shack---where the first drop is---used to have fog, too (that was a good effect because it hid the drop).

Eric

^ You rode in front AND back on Terminator without leaving your seat...HOW tall are you? Just kidding.

I've had solo rides on Superman, Revolution, Viper, and Canyon Blaster. A solo ride on Terminator would be great.

Yes, right now is a great time to go to SFMM because school isn't out, but they're open during the week anyway.

Eric

EDIT: I forgot to mention that SFMM is really on the ball with the Funatic rewards. In today's e-mail was my voucher for 20% off of next year's season pass---and it's good for up to four passes!

For what it's worth, Revolution now has a single-rider queue. There's a sign tacked up on the flash pass sign near the bottom of the entry ramp and they have one of the exit turnstiles dedicated just to this. The ride wasn't crowded Sunday when I was there, so nobody was using it, but here's hoping that this is the first of many more to come, especially on the "more popular" rides.

^ Jay did mention at several events that more single rider lines would be coming to the park. Admittedly, this doesn't help Flash Pass sales, but it will move people and fill what would otherwise be empty seats.

Eric

^^^ Yes, there was fog in the tunnel on Goliath---and it was a great effect, too. What I'm not sure about is why such a simple effect like fog goes out so fast. Terminator's tunnel no longer has it, X2's bottom-of-the-raven-turn fog is gone, Goliath's tunnel is off, and Jet Stream's little shack---where the first drop is---used to have fog, too (that was a good effect because it hid the drop).

Eric

That's sad because mist, while it's a little factor, really gives me more experience. I really wish Magic Mountain would bring these back for the anniversary just for that little effect.

They should get a single rider line for X2. All they need to do is get them to go through the exit and the employee who is doing the row assignments will blend them in. Of course if the GP gets wind of it there would be a long line that might take longer than the stand by. Like how TSMM at DCA got at times.

^They already have an un used Queue line back when X opened with fastlane.

Back in 2006 X tested a single riders line that used that queue. IMO it worked too! The only problem is that groups would abuse it. But I think if SFMM adopted the same method that Disney has where you have to get a single riders pass before entering the queue it could cut down on abuse.

So I saw on Screamscape that they have themed Ninja to the new Karate Kid movie. I guess it makes just as much sense as a movie called "The Karate Kid" being about Kung Fu (actually more sense, since ninjas and karate are both Japanese, while Kung Fu is Chinese).

Gotta figure that if they keep rotating wraps from time to time, it will be a way for the park to keep the cars looking nice at the same time as making a few bucks and keeping the maintenance cost down. I mean they are getting paid to make the trains look all pretty.

Just as long as they don't have those body spray snippers that i encountered at sfdk, i mean she didn't intentionally spray me, but its kind of hard to spray in open air and not have it spray everywhere.

Gotta figure that if they keep rotating wraps from time to time, it will be a way for the park to keep the cars looking nice at the same time as making a few bucks and keeping the maintenance cost down. I mean they are getting paid to make the trains look all pretty.

Just as long as they don't have those body spray snippers that i encountered at sfdk, i mean she didn't intentionally spray me, but its kind of hard to spray in open air and not have it spray everywhere.

I got sprayed by them yesterday. It didn't smell bad at all but all of a sudden I smell like I just put on cologne at 4:30pm.

Hi Everyone.. I've been reading this forum for a while (grew up in LA and SFMM) and always like to read what's new. Went to the park last Saturday (21st), first time in 5 years. We (2 of us) got there at 10 and the gates opened at 10:30. We first bought gold flash passes and then followed this route (option b). All the rides were open and the flash passes worked on everything. We did not notice any lines until Tatsu; so 11:20ish. With the flash pass, we would queue up the next ride once checked in and we never had to wait. That was awesome. zero waiting! Riddlers Revenge had the largest wait since the flash pass just got us into the huge mess of the car queues (probably 20 minute wait there). We waited for the front car for every ride which added a few minutes, no biggie since we saved so much. By the time we hit Goliath, the gold flash pass wait was ~20 mins from check in time, which we timed perfectly. In the pm, Tatsu and Terminator had the largest flash pass wait times at ~30mins (but we hit them in the AM with no wait). We ended at X2 and the line took 1 hour 10 minutes. Exited the park around 6:30.

Looking back, we should have done what the poster said for option a, run to X2, then go get the flash pass. That early in the morning I doubt the line would be over a hour. The standard flash pass would have been fine, since our waits were always nothing or close to that; but if the waits are long, you can upgrade to the next level anytime during the day. But I'm still SOOOO glad we bought them and would suggest weekend SFMM go-ers to do the same. Great time at the park.

edit: even though our flash pass always had super small wait times (5-15mins), once noon hit, the real lines looked pretty hefty. not sure how they calculate the flash place wait times, but our waits were easily way less than 50% (gold advertised) of actual wait time.

^It looks like you had a pretty good day. I really should have labeled option A "Flash Pass" and option B "Non-Flash Pass" because, as you said, by running to X2 first you would probably get on with around a half hour wait (once it opens, and depending on how close to the gates you were when they opened them). Glad to see it still worked fine for you.

In general, visiting on a weekend in the summer or a Saturday any time of year it is better to get a Flash Pass. I've only visited the park three times on a saturday before, and on all those the lines were around an hour for the major rides. The only time I actually had a really good day on a Saturday was when I visited for WCB 2010. However, when I typically visit on Sundays during the winter there is nobody there and I've gone on everything in the park multiple times during the day. I haven't actually used the Flash Pass since they got those q-bots because I visit the park so frequently (at least 2-3 times a year) but I would certainly use it at any out of state park if it was crowded when I visited.

Yeah, I'm planning on using the deal on Friday, too. They don't have to have a Six Flags logo or ad on them, though. Last summer, my friends and I used one with a Universal Studios logo/ad and we still got the deal.

^Thats funny using the can that had the universal ad on it.

But I remember years ago before I became a pass holder I had given them a can with nothing on it and they said I needed one with the ad on it, but even though the guy said that to me he still gave us the free ticket and just said next have one with the ad on it. But I thought they had stoped doing the promotion because I never see any of the cans with the label on it anymore, nor do I hear any advertisements on it anymore.

I've had them accept a dasani water bottle (since dasani is made by coke). I actually didn't know about the promotion and happened to be drinking Dasani when I went to purchase my tickets, and the person in the ticket booth said I could give her the bottle for a discount.