TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^&^^^

Everyone has said forever that they need to raise the prices of the Six Flags Passes. Even Shapiro when he first came in said he was going to raise them so that the parks wouldnt' be a babysitter for terrible teens during the summer. Instead they all pretty much lowered chainwide.

Last Sunday, The green lights in the station were working at Riddlers.

They've been pretty good about keeping that scanner light working. The neon on the wall? Not so much. It's been dead for a good 6-7 years now...

^I have noticed that since Disneyland introduced a payment plan for passes, there are allot of rowdy teens in the park, not to mention people who bring tons of outside food and beverages and treat it like its a public park. II'msurprised they ddon'tpee in the bushes. Last time was there i had ride pirates with a boat load of drunk teenagers who ccouldn'tshut up.

Now don't get me wrong, sfmm's prices are great. But, if they raised prices enough to keep out some of the rowdys, they might be able to shake that negative image they have with allot of people.

^ The problem is that if SFMM raises prices too high, then families won't go there either. And you'll still get the rowdy teenagers partly because many parents out in the Santa Clarita Valley use a SFMM season pass as a babysitter.

When all is said and done, raising your kids to respect others and the property of others is the job of parents---many of whom, unfortunately, don't teach that or don't care when their kids do pick up the disrespectful attitude.

Eric

^ Agreed, my thoughts toward the trouble teen/young adults at magic mountain. Are just kids that grew up with parents who have alot of money mainly because both work full time and during there off time don't do anything with there kids because of some stupid excuse like they are tired. I agree that rasing prices is not an answer, not because I love the low prices. But I have talked to parents who take there 5 year olds to MM as apose to say disneyland. And they say because its closer, less crowded, and they feel is a better value for the price as apose to that other park down south.

^ No, he's talking about the food location just to the right of Sky Tower's entrance. It used to be a Ninja themed quick service food location that was added when Ninja first opened. I believe it served mainly hot dogs and fries. I don't think I've seen it open since the early 1990s.

--Robb

http://www.teaconnect.org/etea/2009ThemeIndex.pdf

Thought I'd post this. If scroll down to 2009 Theme Map, SFMM tied with Six Flags great America for the 20th top theme park in North America.

The first six though are no surprise. How long has Walt Disney World been number #1? (off-topic but had to ask)

Please discuss this here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55037

Edited by robbalvey

^Thanks, last week when I was there I walked over there and toke a look around. And was thinking if those trees weren't there on the Ninja side that would be a good place to eat looking down on cyclone bay. I can see that place never getting much business based on its location. With that place, the pizzeria, and the old Eagle's flight building, Samurai Summit is a very abandoned section of the park.

As far as "giving away the gate" is concerned: I'd say that offering passes so cheap isn't the problem. It's how SFMM has managed the situation. Rides still don't run at max capacity, the employees still suck (what do you expect for minumum wage?), they still can't shake the "ghetto" reputation, and so on...Just because they've done some painting, talk a big game to enthusiasts, and cracked down on cell phones doesn't mean they've solved the REAL problems haunting the park.

USH, Sea World, and Disney have all done "giving away the gate" promotions, yet you don't often hear complaints about how horrible the experience is at those parks.

Edited by Jew

I have to disagree, Disneyland was getting so bad i didn't renew my membership. Starting with the free on your birth day and then the payment plan for season passes. Allot of people who, as my mother would say "haven't been anywhere and don't know how to act". I mean line jumping, unattended kids, climbing on things, ignoring barriers and just disrespecting the park in general. And although i'm guilty of bringing snacks for the kids, water and juice, i would never sit on a bench on mainsteet and whip out a giant economy bag of doritos and proceed to eat them right in front of cast members, much less drink cans of pepsi. (if you going to sneak in a soda at least make it a coke)

It seems like Disney has adopted a "hands off" approach to these problems. I can rememeber a time when Disney was very strict about the conduct of their guests, but i rarely see cast members do anything now, unless someone complains. I would hope that the cast members would be able to see problems and correct them without guests having to point them out.

Of course, i could be wrong.

I've said this before, but I think the Xtreme Pass is underpriced for what you get. The price of It could go up by $25 or even $50 without any extras and still be a great value.

Just my opinion, of course.

Eric

I completely agree. It is a really great deal for the price they charge. My pass has paid for itself many times over, every year I have had it.

^^ For the most part I have found the employees at SFMM to be friendly and helpful. Sure, there are exceptions, as there probably are at every park, but generally I don't have any complaints.

Today I made an unexpected run out to SFMM (in fact, I'm posting this from the Cyber Cafe before I head out). The park wasn't very crowded; waits were no longer than ten minutes for anything. I rode every coaster except Ninja (it's still not open) and Percy's Railway (I'm still too big).

A few notes:

X: Two-train operation; Train 3 had audio, Train 1 didn't. No fire on either of my two rides. Rode each train once within 15 minutes.

Terminator: One-train operation (Train 2), no audio at all. Fire was on. I rode twice in a row (once in Row 10, once in Row 11).

Deja Vu: Little or no wait---unusual for this ride, so I took advantage and rode in the very last row (Row 16) for the first time.

Mr. Six still isn't even close to Dancing---all ride parts are still piled next to Terminator, and the site itself is still...dirt.

So there ya go.

Eric

EDIT: Don't even ask why this came to mind at almost 1:30am...but I forgot to mention that I also didn't ride Canyon Blaster. In fact, I didn't even walk past that area of the park for some reason. Since I already have the Canyon Blaster credit, I never even think to ride it. So, for the day, I rode 13 different coasters, two of which I rode twice.

Edited by ebl

I have found some of the employees, no many but some to be very uninformed about what is going on in the park. Last week I was talking to a guy about Mr. Six and he said that they are starting construction this year and it will open next year, and I was thinking wait is he right because it sure looks that way but everywhere else like this site and the offical site of the park say opening this summer. And the guy had a I didn't know were getting a new roller coaster response to my question.

Edited by gforce532

MY daughter is way to excited about the mr. six coaster, and since those little six commercials have started its even worse. I never would have thought that, just because hes little, kids would relate to him so much. Hope they get that thing up on time and get the height requirment changed. She will be sooooo disappointed if she can't ride it.

SFMM is cranking out those rewards...in this morning's e-mail was my free parking pass. It expires June 12. Since I already get free parking with my Xtreme pass, I can upgrade to premium parking for free with this voucher, but I don't mind parking in the regular lot. Most likely I'll just give it to someone and save them $15.

Eric

^ There are four special events this Saturday. Music in the Parks, Wiz Bang Boom Tour, The Karate Kid Challenge and Girl Scout Day and a May Saturday would be a very bad time to go to the park even on a "normal" day.

(cough) Platinum Flash Pass needed (cough)

^Scream, Goliath, Viper, Tatsu, X2, Terminator, Jet Stream and Canyon Blaster still have on-ride photo. They have a variety of packages ranging from appox. $15 and up once you add tax. Of course if you have a pass, you get discounts and the coupon book this year had a few good coupons with extra discounts.