TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Yes my "Take the TUNNEL" hopes might be saved! Anyway I'm planning to go on May 29th (Friday) or May 31st (Monday) because I get out of school on the 26th and other schools get out in June. If I have to go on a weekend I'll just try out the Platinum Flash Pass and see what it'slike although I wish the X2 as many times as you want feature on that was used because that would make it worth it for me.

Andrew "Yes I know I'm spoiled little brat using an overpriced flashpass " Iorio

To gforce532: In that very cool collage, I can see four trains on the track, and I will assume that a fifth one is in the station, having just pulled to load/unload position as the one starting up the lift left the station. That's the way the ride was run back then. Also, I will guess that today there is the one teal/silver train and the one "original" red, white, and blue one. I have not noticed a third train parked on the side, but will look next time.

If I can get out there this week, I'll post a report.

Eric

Revolutions current trim brakes used to serve as block brakes, which is how the ride ran 5 trains. Goldrusher was able to run 4 trains by having the lift split up into two separate blocks (I can neither confirm nor deny that it was possible to place two trains on the lift )

But more to the point I was getting at...

The bottom line is that while there is a lot of good that the new management team deserves credit for, one area they still have lots left to prove in is ride maintenance: show effects are still out at the rides that had them, and rides are still not running at their maximum capacity. The funny part is, in regards to trains online, they are actually doing WORSE than the old management team did.

So you'll have to forgive me for being skeptical on the return of Terminators audio.

And for those of you who think 2 trains is better: My RRv crew took pride in running 3 trains with no stacking, so I don't buy the "it runs better with 2 trains" excuse AT ALL. It only runs better with 2 trains because the employees suck so much they can't handle three trains (when they are even available in the first place...) It's been so long since I've seen (or read about) 3 trains on any of the rides, I wonder if they even teach the 3 train block checks on the rides anymore?

Hmmm well I'd hate to break it to some of you checking out the trains in that sweet Revolution collage, but it looks like because of the photos being "joined" its inconsistent with an actual running ride, as I count 6 trains on the track (not counting if one is in the station) and some appear to be within blocks of each other which would never really happen. One starting up the lift, one at the bottom of the first drop, one at the bottom of the second drop, one clearing the blocks before the loop, one just entering the final helix, and one right before the station entrance. The photo is bigger and you can see it better here: http://www.rcdb.com/130.htm?p=5485

^You definitely make a point about the "employee effort" and you just beat me to one of my points! 3 train operation IS BETTER than 2 operation, employees and ride-ops just don't know how to get their asses in gear anymore! And to respond to your point about Viper I have seen 3 train operation on it recently, on very busy days when the trains are available. But I do see them stack pretty consistently.

However, I do remember the good 'ol days of 3 train operation on the rides that had it available, and I do remember there being very little if any stacking, especially on the big rides like Revolution, Ninja, Viper and Colossus (Too young to have seen a 5 train operation Revolution which just seems out of this world). I remember my dad timing Viper dispatches on busy days waiting in that line, and from station entrance to restraint check to dispatch would be less than a minute--NO stacking. Now THAT was impressive! Those ops FLEW threw trains like it was nobody's business. This can happen on Viper on some days now, but it just seems as times gone on the employees aren't as motivated as they used to be and I really think it just has to do with the new times of the generation: they really don't have a sense of urgency. Kids running rides now just don't get satisfaction out of hustling through trains, and dispatching them at impressive paces. I'll never forget watching them on all the rides at Magic Moutnain when I was younger thinking "Wow! These guys KNOW how to run this ride right, and they get a kick out of doing it well!"

I'd pay good money to see that old Viper crew run X2, as even if they couldn't avoid blocking, they sure as hell would try!

While most crews still can be improved greatly, I actually did see quite an improvement when I went last Sunday.

Viper: 2 trains, but absolutely no stacking, hell, the train didn't come to a complete stop until it was in the station (as in no stopping on either of the last 2 brake runs).

X2: Either minimal stacking, or no stacking at all. Which is pretty good considering how complicated the restraints are and the nature of rotating the seats.

Goliath: 99% of the time I ride this, the ride operators on either side seem to be racing each other when checking restraints, they're always good. Last Sunday, I believe there was about a minute in the station with no train at all as they were able to get the trains out that fast (it only had 2 train operation going though).

Riddlers: The best crew I've seen for it in a while, absolutely no stacking, and they allowed me the opportunity to get this *rare* picture:

However, hearing that Joey was able to run RR with 3 trains and not stack really shows that operations have gone down quite a bit. I'd also blame this on teens who simply don't feel the need to work that hard as the job is only temporary. That said, the operations are looking quite decently improved .

^That's still not a very good dispatch. It would still be stacking with 3 trains. That train passing by the lift would be sitting outside the station stacked with 3 trains.

Let me say it again: two train operation is not impressive. Seriously, think about it. That's like what, 1:30-2:00 to check a train?

^^^ I have noticed the same things you mentioned many times on all four of those coasters. I have actually thought for quite a while now that Viper and Goliath have the best crews in the park. The ride ops on Goliath seem to race each other just about every time I go to the park. Almost every time I ride Viper one train is going up the lift hill while the other one is on the final turn before the brake run and on Goliath one train is going up the lift hill while the other is entering the brake run. If I ever ride either coaster and the train comes to a stop before pulling into the station it is a surprise to me because it happens so rarely.

At Revolution, the train at load/unload sat on a long chain that was about two full train lengths long. Another train would pull up behind that one, connecting to the chain. As the first one pulled out onto the lift, the second one rolled right up to unload position. There's still a chain there, but it's quite a bit shorter and only serves to move the train from load onto the lift. If you look down onto the track while waiting, you can see where there was a longer chain at one time.

In my observation, generally, a train would be released from the station about the time the previous train got to the bottom of the second drop (the one passing close to the station). But another thing to keep in mind is that back then, there were only lap bars on the trains, which were much simpler.

Having read what Joey said, I will agree with him. Today's crews just don't have the "hustle" that they once did---and really should have.

Eric

^That was modified when the employee died while attempting to cross the track. Believe it or not, there wasn't a way to stop that chain once a train was cleared to come into the station.

^^That's because with two trains, there's no reason they should be stacking. Like I said, that's PLENTY of time to check a train. The park needs to be doing that with three trains before anyone should really be posting about how much things have improved.

Yes my "Take the TUNNEL" hopes might be saved! Anyway I'm planning to go on May 29th (Friday) or May 31st (Monday) because I get out of school on the 26th and other schools get out in June. If I have to go on a weekend I'll just try out the Platinum Flash Pass and see what it'slike although I wish the X2 as many times as you want feature on that was used because that would make it worth it for me.

Andrew "Yes I know I'm spoiled little brat using an overpriced flashpass " Iorio

May 29th is a Saturday and you do realize that is Memorial weekend right?

^^^ I get your point but I didn't mean to sound like I was saying things are improving or that operations used to be bad but now they are good. I have actually been very happy with park operations for a very long time. In my experience they run two trains when needed and one on some of the coasters when the park is deserted and all the rides are walk ons, which I agree with. I was very impressed last year during summer break when they had three trains on Tatsu and had the line moving virtually nonstop. I have had very good luck visiting the park when crowds haven't been too bad, even at potentially crowded times of year, and have not seen the lines reach the point that three trains could be needed, except for Tatsu and X2 a few times, but on X2 I'm pretty sure they would stack and the third train wouldn't really help anyway so I am perfectly fine with them running two trains on X2. When I was there last July X2 (2 hrs), Tatsu (1 hr), Deja Vu (90 mins) and Terminator (1 hr) were the only coasters that had long waits. Everything else was a 20 min wait or less with Scream, Revolution and Gold Rusher (walk ons) and Goliath (10 mins) being the shortest all with two trains.

I don't know much about the minute details of coaster operations, but I do know hustle when I see it. Its presence or lack of has a lot to do with corporate or organizational culture (see In n Out vs a poorly managed McDonald's). Disney has it for their headliners, as well as the resources to field large crews and really motor through trains. (Yes, they also field ride types that are simpler to run).

Its a rare sight at other chains, which makes it that much more notable when a Goliath crew is flying or an El Toro staffer gets on the mike to urge more speed 'cause they're falling behind the pace. That brings me to my question. How much would throwing more people at Riddler, Manta or Flight Deck help move things along?

Before anyone answers, take Montezuma's Revenge at Knott's for example. Two rides ops goes a long way towards explaining slow operations. That I've never seen the restraint checker move at more than a saunter says so much more. How can manager's encourage pride and accountability?

^Absolutely. In fact, that may very well be one of the reasons SFMM doesn't use three trains as often. On Goliath, a 3rd train makes the control panel a required position (with one or two trains, operators can use the panel at the front of the station), and RRv requires 2 unloaders when 3 trains are online (only one is required for 1 and 2 trains).

My friends and I are currently planning a trip out to the park on either Tuesday, June 1st or Friday, June 11th. Both days the park closes at 6, but I was wondering which day would be less crowded. I'm assuming June 1st, because everyone will be back to work and back to school after Memorial Day. What do you guys think?

^That's actually a hard call. I mean, I know plenty of people that take the whole Memorial Day Week off, but by then a lot of people are out of school anways...

Hmmm, and you say they're open the same times both times?

I guess that Tuesday, but I wouldn't expect it to be empty.

^^^^ They must have just removed Thrill Shot from the website. It was still on the list when I checked it yesterday, although I have not seen it operate in a very long time, at least a year and a half if I recall correctly.

^^ The park will be somewhat crowded on both days. Many colleges are off by then. I have found that the day after Memorial Day is when weekdays crowds start to pick up. I went to the park the week of Memorial Day and the following week on weekdays each of the last two years and crowds were almost exactly the same on both weeks. In your case I would pick June 1st since June 11th is Junior Nites in which Junior High Grads are allowed to get tickets for the normal operating day then also stay from 6pm-midnight after everybody else leaves.

I'd probably say the Tuesday as well. Fridays seem to be the more crowded weekday at SFMM, especially once some of the schools get out.

Also note, for anyone going in mid to late June: The LAUS(my)D is too poor to afford a full year of school! So basically we've had the last week of our school year eliminated, along with the Thursday before Memorial Day. Just a notice for anyone who plans on going before the totally deadly summer crowds come.

Umm I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I wanna say June 21st (my school's schedule hasn't been updated). However, that's a Monday (in reality, they only cut 4 days off of the last week), so I doubt anyone's actually going to show up. June 18th will probably be the last day of attendance for most people.