TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I looked at the SFMM calendar and noticed that this weekend is both the "Miss Dance Drill Team USA" and "Wiz Bang Boom Tour."

Therefore, contrary to what I said in the Rant thread about going on Sunday, I don't think I'll be at SFMM any time this weekend.

Eric

I went to the park today. It wasn't completely dead like most school days I have visited on but crowds were very light. There was hardly any traffic this morning too. I got there in one hour and usually it takes about two hours on a weekday. I got there one hour before opening because of this. All coasters were running two trains except, Deja Vu and Superman.

First a few notes: The hair gel train on Viper is gone. All of the logos have been removed.

A ride op on Viper said something like “scream if you are excited be here” and nobody said anything. After that he said “you should be excited to be here, this isn't Disneyland.”

A ride op on Tatsu was using the “Is everybody in, the ceremony is about to begin?” line. I know some of you have mentioned hearing this on Tatsu, but this was the first time I have heard it on that ride.

Terminator still has no audio. I did talk to the ride op which I have started to talk to over my last few visits though.

Revolution was smooth again. That's two consecutive visits in which I have rode Revolution with no headbanging.

The “Attitudes” shop was closed and had a barrier in front of it. I wonder if they are doing a remodel.

I rode X2 twice and sat on the inside both times with no problems. I would like to sit on the inside from now on. I am concerned about what will happen if I wait in a long line to ride X2 and then get sent to a line where I can't sit on the inside. Tatsu has now became my #1 coaster.

Here is my day in order:

1. Viper one time. Waited 10 mins. Tried to go on X2 before this but it wasn't open yet.

2, 3. Tatsu twice. Walk on then 10 min wait.

4, 5. Deja Vu twice. Walk ons, just switched seats..

6, 7. Terminator twice. No wait other than the pre-show. Rode twice, stayed on.

8, 9. Revolution twice. Walk ons. Skipped Tatsu on the way since it had a 1 hour line.

10. Viper once. 10 min wait.

11, 12, 13. Goliath three times. Walk on, stay ons. Skipped X2 on the way due to 1 hour line.

14, 15. Colossus twice. Walk onto front row then moved to back.

16, 17, 18. Scream three times. Walk on, stay ons.

19, 20, 21. Batman three times. Walk ons, just switched seats.

22, 23. Riddler's Revenge twice. 15 min wait then 10 min wait.

24, 25. Gold Rusher twice. Walk ons, switched seats. Running two trains.

26. Terminator once. Just waited for pre-show.

27. Tatsu once. 10 min wait.

28, 29. Superman twice. 5 min wait each time

30. Tatsu once. 10 min wait.

31, 32. X2 twice. 10 min wait both times.

33, 34. Viper twice. Walk on, stay ons.

35. Goliath once. 10 min wait.

36, 37. Colossus twice. Walk on, stay on.

38, 39, 40. Scream three times. Walk onto front row then moved to back and rode two more times.

41. Deja Vu once. Walk on. Park closed while I was on the ride.

Ride totals.

X2: 2

Revolution: 2

Viper: 4

Tatsu: 4

Superman: 2

Deja Vu: 3

Terminator: 3

Gold Rusher: 2

Riddler's Revenge: 2

Batman: 3

Scream: 6

Colossus: 4

Goliath: 4

I couldn't think of anywhere relevant to post this and frankly this thread is the best I came up with, so enjoy.

Just a taste of the article, be sure to go read the full thing:

VALENCIA, CA—Promoting the coaster as "the most heartbreaking ride on earth," the Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park unveiled its newest attraction this week: a 395-foot-tall steel roller coaster designed to simulate a grueling three year relationship with Deborah.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-six-flags-ride-based-on-relationship-with-debo,17223/

I couldn't think of anywhere relevant to post this and frankly this thread is the best I came up with, so enjoy.

Just a taste of the article, be sure to go read the full thing:

VALENCIA, CA—Promoting the coaster as "the most heartbreaking ride on earth," the Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park unveiled its newest attraction this week: a 395-foot-tall steel roller coaster designed to simulate a grueling three year relationship with Deborah.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-six-flags-ride-based-on-relationship-with-debo,17223/

Already mentioned here

Austinlee, sounded like you had a good time yesterday. I was at Viper yesterday, so you might of seen me.

I should have said this in my previous post but I forgot. I was the guy wearing the black X2 t-shirt who got stuck when the OTSR didn't release. Did you see anybody wearing that shirt and/or were you the one who had to manually release the OTSR so I could get out?

Not an expansion joint. I'd almost call it an "oopsie"

Seriously, an expansion joint would most likely have a thick layer of rubber and/or some sliding plate(s) to allow for movement. Certainly there is no gap/rubber in the rails. The joints pictured here look pretty solid. I seem to recall when Goliath opened 10 years ago (!) it was all over the Internet forums of that time that there was one place on the track that was several inches too short for some reason (miscalculation, whatever), and this appears to be where they filled in that gap. If a miscalculation or error of some sort is the case, it's not unusual. During my years in engineering, I've seen such things, and they are more common than you think.

Eric

My friend is at SFMM right now, and he is apparently in line / getting off of his fourth ride for the day. LOL.

I posted my warning to everyone yesterday not to go!!!

They nearly filled overflow!!! NOT FUN!!!

Friends went to Magic Mountain today and said the lines were long everywhere. They asked me yesturday if I wanted to go, and I responded "On a Saturday? You're crazy. No, thanks."

Terminator still has no audio. I did talk to the ride op which I have started to talk to over my last few visits though.

Has it not had audio since West Coast Bash weekend now? That's been a month!

Word on the street is that the audio is permanently damaged and will most likely never return (not sure if its related to WCB). And the fact that its been a month with little to no progress is starting to make me believe it.

^Well I hope SFMM got a refund from whomever did the audio if it's totally broken already.

Glad to hear SFMM getting nice crowds already, it might not be a good thing for those of use that want to ride our hearts out. Yet look at it this way the bigger the crowds the closer we maybe to something Intamin amazing So let the crowds overwhelm if it pays for that 2012/2013 airtime/speed machine.

I remeber the Goliath track gap mishap lol doesn't that piece of track that filed the gap make Goliath part B&M b/c I thought I had heard that piece was fab by the B&M ohio plant so there wouldn't be a delay in opening.

^You misunderstood my post.

Parenthesis contain material that could be omitted without destroying or altering the meaning of a sentence. Ignoring the parenthesis:

Word on the street is that the audio is permanently damaged and will most likely never return. And the fact that its been a month with little to no progress is starting to make me believe it.

I didn't say it was the fault of WCB for the breaking of the audio, I said I'm starting to believe that its permanently broken due to the fact that there has been no progress on the audio for a month now. Especially after what I heard.

Yet look at it this way the bigger the crowds the closer we maybe to something Intamin amazing So let the crowds overwhelm if it pays for that 2012/2013 airtime/speed machine.

But the project for 2012 has already been announced... http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-six-flags-ride-based-on-relationship-with-debo,17223/

No but the Audio on Terminator wasn't that big a deal to me. Although they will need to build a huge billboard that has "Take the Tunnel" on it!

Andrew "We cannot be deprived of Take the Tunnel" Iorio

Word on the street is that the audio is permanently damaged and will most likely never return (not sure if its related to WCB). And the fact that its been a month with little to no progress is starting to make me believe it.

It seems to me that it may be gone for good too. I am kind of surprised to know that the audio is having this many problems. It was working on every visit I have made from the time Terminator opened until Feb 28th. I assume that if it was a sensor or speaker problem, or something relatively minor, they would have had it repaired by now. If the audio is gone I will miss it to some extent since it does add to the experience, but it doesn't make or break a very high quality coaster in my opinion.

^Well I hope SFMM got a refund from whomever did the audio if it's totally broken already.

I agree. If it's broken already they sure didn't get much use out of it. I'm sure they expected the audio to last a little more than 10 months.

I think if the audio ends up being permanently scrapped they should remove the computer box that is in place of the last cars bogies, and put seats back there for a row 12 (with no loading gate for that row, just line up 4 people in loading row 11 for both cars). I typically prefer the very last row on a lot of coasters as the train whips and pulls you over drops, and since this ride opened I thought the ride in that back seat might be a little better than row 11, and hell, it might not increase capacity that much but at least you'd get a true "back seat" ride.

However, like most things with the park, I'd wager it'll stay the same and that audio box will just be a memory, and a waste of space for years to come. And herein lies one of the many differences in quality between SF and Disney: no motivation or desire to uphold the standards of the original product. Sad, really. A for effort though, I must say.