TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The backward train suggestion for Colossus was brought up at WCB, and management said that us crazy enthusiasts were the only ones that like to ride it that way, so that wouldn't be happening. But they DID race the trains for night ERT!

The single rider line news was encouraging. Planning is already in progress; we might see them within weeks.

The locker discussion was fun, heck, the entire presentation was light hearted. Here's the official line. We don't want to get rich on them. We want to educate guests to leave their stuff at home. This was in response to a question on pay a single price for a full day of use. The park can't do it yet (they don't have the required IT cable) but they are working on their technological infrastructure.

But they DID race the trains for night ERT!

Racing Colossus was awesome!

The racing aspect of the ride made it 100x better. And If they started doing that on a regular basis, Colossus would go from a ride that I would skip almost every visit to a must ride.

Much rather have a Racing Colossus than a backwards Colossus.

I already ride Colossus on just about every visit since I always try to ride every open coaster on every visit. The novelty of having it race would not make me ride it anymore than I already do.

Those pictures of the X2 station during ERT look almost exactly as empty as it was on Season Pass Appreciation Day last Sept.

But they DID race the trains for night ERT!

Racing Colossus was awesome!

The racing aspect of the ride made it 100x better. And If they started doing that on a regular basis, Colossus would go from a ride that I would skip almost every visit to a must ride.

Much rather have a Racing Colossus than a backwards Colossus.

Does the right side win every time, or did it just win for my groups 2 rides? It was awesome though, especially cause we split our group in half during ERT for the race.

Great event, big thanks to Robb and Magic Mountain for putting it together.

They really should race Colossus consistently, its a great experience and makes the ride much more than just "an option".

The Q&A was... enlightening. Some things made me scratch my head (the "train guests to leave things at home" argument seemed faulty, as the you-know-whats also detract from people buying those thirteen dollar refillable cups) but it really seems like these guys want what is best for the park, so I respect their intentions if nothing else. The paint jobs are important, and I am glad that they realize that. So while they side stepped some questions, it was nice to see the head honchos more or less "unplugged".

Also, I forgot to add before, no guarantees, but the height requirement is likely to go down. Don't quote me on it, but it very well may happen in the near future. It kind of sucks they couldn't do the Thomas the Tank Engine trains on Metro, of course this is California, so earthquake violation is important. I forgot to ask about Viper's hair gel train and if it is there forever, oh well, just more incentive to come back next year, not that I needed any in the first place!

The discussion of the Mr Six height limit went something like this. Tim (it was Tim, right?) said that Vekoma's height limit corresponds to roughly 42 inches. They're trying very hard to get the manufacturer to change the manual, but aren't getting any support as the company has changed hands and management teams several times since the ride was manufactured. Our Magic Mountain friend got a little testy (in a nice way), saying he resented the uproar over here because it implies he doesn't know his job. The last thing they want is a kiddie ride that kids can't ride. The will continue to work on changing the height requirement.

That's all paraphrasing. You supply the context and subtext.

Edit: It was Tim (I think!)

SFMM's Hurricane Harbor is getting Mr. Six's Splash Island this year to, along with SFNE. I'm currently in the fan call and Mark just announced this.

Can anyone officially confirm this?

It came directly out of Mark Shaprio's mouth several times. I hope someone else in it can confirm with me later.

Elissa, were you just listening into it? I thought I would hear a question from you or Robb. I was just planning on listening into it, but last minute some people talked me into it. You can guess which one I was, I was really nervous and I felt uncomfortable for it.

Anyways getting back on topic, do you guys think that this will be good for Hurricane Harbor? I don't know much about it, other than the fact that it hasn't really seen anything new in a while.

^We had one of our moderators on the call, I have not listened to it or seen the notes yet so I don't want to comment on the Hurricane Harbor expansion just yet.

I just hope it's open in time, but I just checked and it looks like they've REALLY cut back on HH's schedule. They don't open this year till May 29! And aren't even daily at that point.

I was at the park today monday the 22nd. I figured going in that the park might be moderate crowd due to the start of the spring breaks, but better than next week. WOW every ride was a walk on all day, except x2 and batman which for me each had only two train wait. But I got in the park at 11 and got in line for tatsu at 11:15 and there were only about 10 people waiting in the station. And I like to think the wait for batman was due to the general public thinking its a new ride.

One thing that I had never noticed till today, was for viper, termy, deja vu, batman, scream, and goliath. Right before the train dispatch the ride op comes over the intercom and yells "is everybody ready" with enthusiasm. and everyone in the train cheers back. Personally it made me feel like I was at cedar point.

Edited by gforce532

Glad you had a great visit. I've noticed the ride ops making comments like that more often on my visits this year too. I'm going tomorrow. I hope it is that empty for me too. On X2, how much of the queue was full.

Edited by austinlee