TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Oh my how they grow up! I remember the very first posts of Kidtums just after she was born. My kids are 9 and 11 now and it's already difficult to remember them ever being that little.

Will Kidtums be at Bay Area Bash?

Apparently they are still 'working on it'.

Hopefully we'll have an answer before or at West Coast Bash. It's still listed as 42'' online.

What is there to work on? It's quite a simple process...SOP gets amended, manufacturer/park/state both sign off on it, then they just have to prove to the state that the modification/change is safe when the ride is built.

Problem solved.

What is there to work on? It's quite a simple process...SOP gets amended, manufacturer/park/state both sign off on it, then they just have to prove to the state that the modification/change is safe when the ride is built.

Problem solved.

How involved and costly is the process of proving that the ride is safe? I fully realize from the extensive discussion on the subject that the same make and model coaster is operated with a lower height requirement at multiple locations, but is that in itself adequate, or is some actual "testing" required?

^^My understanding is that the testing should be at no additional cost. The park already has to pay for certain tests under ASTM (stuff like reach envelopes, g-forces, cycle the ride enough to prove its reliable/safe, and some other random stuff I can't remember off the top of my head) to get the state's approval to begin with...

The costs involved are probably all the lawyers/managers/etc. it takes to write all the changes to the SOP.

Just a note for those who haven't yet noticed...SFMM's 2010 park maps are being given to guests and are also available in the usual places. Mr. Six's Dance Coaster is shown on them with one of those NEW! graphics next to it.

Eric

Does anyone have a picture of the new map? Also it seems so weird how it's taking so long to get the final restriction in! But I guess it's ok at least as they get a new reasonable one. Gosh I really want to get to this park but the parents don't want to go to California! Need new parents

Wow - that would have been cool to run into you guys at the park! I'm moving from AZ to FL but went out to SFMM for the first time in 12 years last saturday... so much has changed.

I've been a fan of the site for a while, but finally signed up for the boards.

btw, even though some things were closed - having a 5 min wait for Goliath, Tatsu and X2 was totally worth the rain. As I got 5-6 rides on each, and when we rode Terminator we got the very back seat, and didn't even have to stand up for 4 cycles!

I'm also a photographer and wanted to get a lot of fun shots at the park, but the rain hindered that

but, it cleared up during twilight and I was able to get some really fun shots! let me know what you think!

Brian

oh, and if you want to see some more of my photos check out my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/rian1021

1photo.jpg.cc6592bb3909c297c5514076bbb994ca.jpg

2photo.jpg.10fc13d249c06800560b82771e37fe35.jpg

3photo.jpg.c83931f016ac32a5bb7224493af90429.jpg

4photo.jpg.ca82b4e2a12e9e70a5bf24e55b767f45.jpg

5photo.jpg.28ad56a4f6047f270975e2539315667e.jpg

6photo.jpg.6bcfd487978575e3facc97d264056785.jpg

7photo.jpg.958fdb0270dfa9e48e580d12e38dc757.jpg

8photo.jpg.40102ea50fb3aeb64e95ff8dab55ad49.jpg

^ Nice pictures.

All those rides on a Saturday? I was there on Sunday and couldn't get near X2, and barely rode Terminator once. Tatsu was slow, as was Goliath. Strange because normally Saturdays are busier.

I just checked the park map here, and it's the map from 2009. Hopefully the new one will be up sometime soon.

Eric

I use a canon xsi

and yeah we rode X2 twice right away, maybe a one train wait each time - then again later in the day 2 train wait

walked onto viper 3 different times

3 rides on tatsu, walked on, then one train for back and 2 train wait for back

5 rides on terminator, most of them we didn't even have to get out of the seat (plus it was wet and rainy and running amazing)

only 1 ride on gold rusher, riddler

3 times on revolution, never had to get up

walked on to the middle, front, and back of scream 3 times in a row - same with goliath, with a couple of rides later in the day

didn't make it to colossus before it broke down tho

I'm kinda torn if I want to get a q-bot when I visit SFMM in May...it will be on a Monday, and I will be in the park from 10:30 to 3:30-4:00. Is it worth the money on a monday during these times? I have all of the credits except Term, Tatsu, the new kiddie, and one side of Superman and Colossus.

You won't need a Q-bot on a May weekday. Almost every time I have been to the park on a May weekday I have had walk ons on almost every coaster. The only exception is the week of Memorial Day but that week is actually in June this year so it doesn't matter. Assuming you are not going on Memorial Day, you shouldn't need it.

Those are some amazing pictures, man. I'm surprised you didn't post the one of Goliath, Colossus, and Superman from the parking lot. That one is freaking amazing! I really loved that picture of Viper and Tatsu at sunset the best though. You're a damn fine photographer.