TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I would camp out and protest if they ever thought of removing Viper. I'm its number one fan! Now that it doesn't really kill you anymore, it's actually quite enjoyable. I prefer the layout of Viper over B&M loopers, it has huge amounts of positive force, negative force (in the front going into the mcbr), and hang time. If only Viper were totally smooth...

I think Viper is very underrated too. It is still one of my favorites and I feel it has aged very well. Even at 20 years old I think it is better than many coasters which are much newer. It is the oldest coaster in the park that I still consider a "must ride" on every visit. It has been a favorite of mine since I rode it on it's opening weekend.

Okay, maybe removing Viper isn't the best idea. I guess more people like it than I thought. It's really not a bad ride, just an older one.

Now that I think about it, Six Flags Magic Mountain doesn't really have any coasters that aren't worth keeping. While they aren't all the best rides, each one is different and somewhat unique for Sothern California with only a couple exceptions. There's probably a reason I think the park has a better set of coasters than anywhere else I've been (Cedar Point has better individual rides, but as a set their coaster selection isn't as good).

^ your funny,

I wouldent mind seeing Deja Vu go, It's a great ride but the capacity is horrible, it often down and seems like it's rare for it to be open an entire day...

As for Viper, I love the ride! it has an awesome first loop, and helps draw the lines off some of the other rides as well as being one of the older rides in the park ( got to keep some classics around )

^ That's why I've wondered whether Big Bad Wolf really was "at the end of its service life." So many other steel coasters have lasted 30, 40, even 50 years (Matterhorn). Of course, the whole suspended mechanism adds a complication or two, but still... I think Busch just wanted to take it out to clear a spot for something else.

Eric

^I think Ninja would be the last coaster SFMM would remove, if they removed any. BGE removing BBW was a bad idea, something SFMM wont probably repeat until Ninja is practically limping along its course from old age.

Not if the ride is coming apart at the seams. You can't operate a coaster if it's falling apart, no matter how bad Six Flags' track record is with that sorta thing.

^True but there are no VISIBLE signs that Ninja, or any coaster coaster at the park is on it's last leg. Rides like Colossus, Viper and Rev may be rough, but there isn't really anything like cracked axels or warped track or faulty brakes. Everything at the park seems to still be in a safe functioning order. So I personally see no plausible reason to remove any ride. Popularity is an issue, but having different rides gives the park diversity and personality and a unique feel that not many parks have.

Ideally I would like to keep all of the big coasters. I still like them all, obviously some more than others, but there aren't any which I purposely avoid or do not enjoy. If the park had to remove one coaster to make room for something better Ninja would be my choice. I find it to be the least exciting coaster they have.

^I was aware that you were speaking in the hypothetical, but the "track record" of Arrow Suspended coasters seems misleading. I can only think of one (Bat @ King's Island) that ran into excessive problems and had to be removed, but other than that has any of the ASC's have to be removed? Did BBW reach the end of it's service life because it was in bad shape, or because the park just wanted something more up to date?

^BBW is always going to be speculation, but isn't Eagle Fortress also being removed for service reasons? And I think we can all agree that they have the reputation of being high maintenance rides, almost to the point where it's not worth it to keep them.

Think of it this way. You have a 20 year old car. It runs well, gets you where you need to go, but is always in need of constant repair. Over time, you spend thousands in upkeep just so you can keep getting from point A to point B. Over time, with the money you've spent repairing your 20 year old car, you could have put a healthy down payment on a 2010 Charger. At least that's how I see it.

If I could have one realistic wish for SFMM granted, it would be for them to transform Revolution back into a fun and comfortable ride. Lose the godawful and unnecessary OTSRs and let up on the brakes.

Revolution still has the potential to be one of the best rides in the park and best terrain coasters around with just a minimal (and IMO, sensible) amount of tweaking.

Mike

^BBW is always going to be speculation, but isn't Eagle Fortress also being removed for service reasons? And I think we can all agree that they have the reputation of being high maintenance rides, almost to the point where it's not worth it to keep them.

Think of it this way. You have a 20 year old car. It runs well, gets you where you need to go, but is always in need of constant repair. Over time, you spend thousands in upkeep just so you can keep getting from point A to point B. Over time, with the money you've spent repairing your 20 year old car, you could have put a healthy down payment on a 2010 Charger. At least that's how I see it.

In Arrow's defense, they arent the only high maintenance rides, as I'm sure you know. Look at Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster. They may be faster and taller, but that's beside the point.

I would agree somewhat with you though. In my opinion, it all depends on what the Arrow's suspended coasters will be used for at every park they are at. With parks like SFMM and CP, having coasters of up to 15 and more, they could be used as a sort of stepping stone for the little ones so they grow used to bigger, faster, more thrilling coasters, no matter the age of the suspended coaster. For the time being, Ninja will still have reason for staying. Granted, the same could be said for BBW, which is why I have no idea why it would be removed other than as its been said before, that the park wanted something else (in which case, I ask on a side note, why didnt they just buy more land?)