TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From Screamscape a few months ago:

"2011 - New Coaster - Rumor - (10/16/09) I’ve heard that a fairly unique and impressive new coaster may be planned for 2011, possibly located near the top of the Mountain itself. Anyone know more?"

Also recently reported on Screamscape:

"B&M - (1/7/10) Early rumors are starting to drop here and there indicating that B&M is hard at work on some kind of new coaster design. I suppose it’s about time anyway since B&M haven’t really invented a new design since we saw the first Flying coasters open back in 2002. So I guess the real question is… what’s left? We’ve got Standing, Sitting, Flying, Floorless, Inverted and Diving… so perhaps they are ready to full embrace the Launched coaster concept, as Incredible Hulk was a special one-shot only creation."

Could this make an appearance at the Mountain?

Eric

Cheers mate, wouldn't have thought to do that...I must say though its a bit of a pain having to go through each individual ride...Why not have a page like this http://www.dreamworld.com.au/Rides/Maintenance/ where there is just a simple list with clear start and end dates for each ride closure?

Glad to help. Knott's Berry Farm has a ride closure list very similar to the one for Dreamworld and I have used it many times to decide when to visit so that my favorite coasters should be open. I agree that a list like that would be an improvement but overall I am just happy that this information is available. I hope you have a great visit to the park.

From Screamscape a few months ago:

"2011 - New Coaster - Rumor - (10/16/09) I’ve heard that a fairly unique and impressive new coaster may be planned for 2011, possibly located near the top of the Mountain itself. Anyone know more?"

Also recently reported on Screamscape:

"B&M - (1/7/10) Early rumors are starting to drop here and there indicating that B&M is hard at work on some kind of new coaster design. I suppose it’s about time anyway since B&M haven’t really invented a new design since we saw the first Flying coasters open back in 2002. So I guess the real question is… what’s left? We’ve got Standing, Sitting, Flying, Floorless, Inverted and Diving… so perhaps they are ready to full embrace the Launched coaster concept, as Incredible Hulk was a special one-shot only creation."

Could this make an appearance at the Mountain?

Eric

Only if its a bit more family friendly than any of B&Ms other designs. The Mountain would be a great place for both B&M and SF to test out a new roller coaster concept.

^ Not necessarily. While the current management does plan to add more "family friendly" attractions, they also have every intention of continuing to add cutting edge thrills to the lineup.

At the Disneyland website, you can go to this page, then click "See the Calendar" on the lower right part of the page, then click the date that you plan to visit. Attraction closure info is there.

Diana went to Disneyland yesterday and when she got home, I told her that the Matterhorn was closed. She looked at me with a "How did you know" look.

Eric

I told her that the Matterhorn was closed. She looked at me with a "How did you know" look.

I would like the Mountain to bring in some type of Intamin Rocket along the lines of Storm Runner. I think that design really didn't get drawn out enough and MM doesn't have that many lauch coasters (Superman: The Escape being the sole). I think the park could benefit with such an attraction. I know LA already has Xcelorator but it also has two B&M Inverts.

It seems as if the problem with the brakes could easily be solved by retrofitting them with fixed magnetic brakes that practically every new Intamin has now. They're fail safe and slow the ride down smoothly and quietly. Now whether or not this is practical I don't know, because the trains obviously would need modifications to accommodate the new brakes. If they're serious about keeping this ride around, wouldn't be a bad idea if it was indeed plausible.

^Essentially, S:TE already has fixed magnetic brakes. The LSM's act as the brakes as well. The only moving brakes are in the station, which are only used to bring the car back to its home position in the station.

I've experienced the Superman over-run e-brake. At WCB 2009 as a matter of fact. On the way down we flew through the station fast enough I really didn't register it. There was just a flash of light followed by a firm and abrupt but not overly rough sudden stop. Only after we came to rest was it clear what had happened. We sat there a while until a mechanic arrived to fire up a power winch. Those magnets don't let go easily once they grab hold. It was definitely my most unique ride experience.

^ Not necessarily. While the current management does plan to add more "family friendly" attractions, they also have every intention of continuing to add cutting edge thrills to the lineup.

Ah. What I meant was something that can be considered more thrilling than Terminator but not on the level of thrills occupied by X2 and Tatsu. Something like a bigger version of the Pony Express I suppose.

Guess we have to play the wait, guess and see game with SFMM again

2009 brought us Terminator, which is family friendly, and 2010 will bring us Mr. Six's DanceCoaster---obviously a small, family friendly ride. Therefore, 2011 will be a good time to add something "xtreme," as the park would call it.

Eric

I think that EBL has a good point. I know that after being hammered down so many times for suggesting a thrill ride be built at Magic Mountain (and I don't mean TPR in particular, this was pretty common at other forums), people are wary to do so now. However, Six Flags will most likely continue to add great thrill rides, just not as often. A new ride in the style of Riddler's Revenge or Scream would be a great idea because it really does appeal to more than just 16-25 year old males. Now I don't think this is the most pressing issue for the mountain, I think a drop tower and some really nice flat rides (Let's get some S&S in there!) would do wonders. But I do think that they can not afford to let every single one of their coasters to become Stagnant. They have to beat Knott's on two levels, family rides (where Knott's has the edge) and roller coasters (where Magic Mountain has the edge).

Just my two cents. What do you guys think?

Edit: Really cool that the forums tell you when someone has posted while you are typing up your post. I love it!

^Essentially, S:TE already has fixed magnetic brakes. The LSM's act as the brakes as well. The only moving brakes are in the station, which are only used to bring the car back to its home position in the station.

Gotcha. Wasn't exactly sure how the braking system was on there. I guess the problem with the LSMs being the brakes is if they lose power, the situation of it rolling through to the emergency brakes happens. With rides like Dragster or Kingda Ka, power failure would never make a difference.

2009 brought us Terminator, which is family friendly, and 2010 will bring us Mr. Six's DanceCoaster---obviously a small, family friendly ride. Therefore, 2011 will be a good time to add something "xtreme," as the park would call it.

Do people really think the park needs to add something every year? Isn't this kind of what got Six Flags in trouble to begin with?

I prefer the Busch mentality of "Let's build something really good and be able to tout that for a few years."

Just look at a park like Busch Gardens Tampa. Quality over Quantity!

You don't seem them adding a major, or even a minor attraction every year that park seems to do GREAT!

--Robb

^ Sounds like what Six Flags did back in the '80s---their ride rotation program.

"Do people really think the park needs to add something every year? Isn't this kind of what got Six Flags in trouble to begin with?" (Robb)

Just my opinion, but I think what got Six Flags into trouble was not only too many high-ticket attractions, but expanding into too many markets. Something new every year doesn't have to break the bank, though unfortunately, with SFMM being in such a highly competitive market almost makes it necessary to have an annual "new" attraction of some kind. Personally, I'm fine with a major coaster every two or three years---and I think that works out best. I've even told Jay that. My mention of a huge 2011 attraction was based on what I've heard that Six Flags plans to do for its 50th anniversary in business: a major attraction at each park.

Eric

Gotcha. Wasn't exactly sure how the braking system was on there. I guess the problem with the LSMs being the brakes is if they lose power, the situation of it rolling through to the emergency brakes happens. With rides like Dragster or Kingda Ka, power failure would never make a difference.

They act as brakes when there is no power. As you mentioned though, the reason there is rollbacks is because the ride doesn't know how much extra stopping power to apply when the drive trips/loses power/etc. There's always a magnetic field, but it needs the extra power to slow it down properly.

I agree with the overexpansion into Europe and the buying spree did them in. They did very little with the existing parks beyond just adding a new thrill ride. The upkeep budget just collapsed. That was very obvious to the customers.

It wasn't until the end when they invested in a hotel, SF Great Escape Lodge, that I thought that maybe they were on the verge of turning a corner where they would take the chain up to the next level. I hope in the future that they pursue the hotel / indoor waterpark strategy once again for the remaining parks where they have the available land. Imo, that is the only way that they can grow the parks from the cheaper regional day trippers to a Universal Orlando / Disney-esque experience.

In SFMM case, they certainly have gambled on coasters! In one sense, I respect the risk they took with Superman (and Ka back east), X / X2, and Deja. Certainly those three caused SFMM to have a greater financial burden than what they forecasted.

Going forward, I also agree that SFMM has to have a highly marketable ride /angle for the 2011/12 seasons, because both Disney and Universal are targeting similar demos with Carsland and Transformers. For non-locals who come to CA for one or both of those attractions, it would make sense for SFMM to have a massive coaster ready to be advertised. One of SFMM greatest strengths is the location. They can build whatever they want practically.

And maybe that is the master plan. With the continued painting and other misc. improvements, installing a relatively cheap ride by SFMM standards in 2010, maybe by 2011 they will be ready for their close-up for coaster #18.

They act as brakes when there is no power. As you mentioned though, the reason there is rollbacks is because the ride doesn't know how much extra stopping power to apply when the drive trips/loses power/etc. There's always a magnetic field, but it needs the extra power to slow it down properly.

Alright then that makes sense. I was a little foreign to the way the brakes were on that ride, thanks for explaining!

An Intamin gyro drop would be a marvelous addition!

That's a great idea. My dad, who is also a coaster enthusiast, and I were just talking about this today. We were saying how SFMM has KBF beat on just about every type of thrill ride except Supreme Scream and Sierra Sidewinder. I was joking about how if SFMM built a drop tower and a spinning coaster it might be the final straw that would make me start going to SFMM almost exclusively instead of both parks regularly. Although I do go to SFMM about twice as often as KBF.