TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I know this was discussed about two pages ago but as far as the Superman ride from SFKK, I have always had trouble understanding why it was made into such a big deal yes it is very bad that the girl had her feet severed but I felt it was blown out of proportion and I see no reason why the ride had to be closed considering that SROS at SFNE and DL had deaths on those rides and they opened within a matter of months, and people are still riding the hell out of them. So to say that you would not ride the tower even if it was relocated and refurbished to like new is a little extreme in my mind.

I think you are getting confused with what the ride is. The SM ride at SFKK was a Drop Tower not a coaster like the others. The coasters cost more than the drop tower so removing them would be a huge loss for Six Flags but to remove the drop tower is little loss to Six Flags.

^ It wasn't the media, and it wasn't the cost. I think the reason they took out the drop ride versus not taking out the coasters was because of the reasons they happened. The coasters were rider/operator error. A person too big to ride was allowed to ride anyway. With the drop tower, it was maintenance's fault. The girl was not too big to ride, and the ride operators had almost nothing to do with the accident (I say "almost nothing" because they apparently weren't properly trained on E-stopping and maybe did not exactly notice something wasn't right.).

They were different instances. I'm sure with the drop tower, they didn't want that to happen again. So they fired maintenance staff and removed the ride. With the coasters, they could retrain operators and modify the restraints.

OAlrighty here's a quick trip report for Super Bowl Sunday.

Arrived at ten thirty, parked in the fourth or fifth row of the first section. Checked out X2 - line looked to be about a halfhour or less - pass. So, I walked on to the foruth or fifth row of Tatsu, while my brother chickened out. Next was 5erminator - THE PRE-SHOWS SUCK when you HAVE to watch them; empty trains were rolling through because of the new doors.

Back up to sky tower - always fun. Then back down to Gold Rusher, waited for one train. Next was Riddler's, which was a three train wait for the second to last row.

Here's a shocker: we waited thirty minutes for Batman, mainly because it was only a one train operation. We then waited for one train on colossus, and went on Scream twice. Goliath looks amazing... didn't ride it today.

We were able to walk on Revolution and Viper. Towards the end of the day, the crowds were getting bigger. Toward four o'clock, riddlers line was outside of the station, and only one train was running. So, back up the hill for a fifteen minute wait for the front of Tatsu, then back through the line for a ride in row five.

To end the day, we walked on to Viper, and I waited twenty minuted for X2...gooood ride today, but too windy for fire.

Other info:

*Riddler station lights working

*Batman does look amazing

*Not too many clapping employees, but they were very friendly today. A lot of them wanted to have conversations about our day.

*Ninja and Deja Vu closed

*Renovated bathrooms by carousel are very nice.

Anything else will be added later. I'm using my phone so this is to the point without any elaboration, sorry

Thanks for the report. I'm not happy about the new doors on Terminator either. It was much better when they would just let you walk through and get on when there was no line. Something really needs to be done about the half empty trains being sent out when the coaster has a line too.

Thanks for the report. I'm not happy about the new doors on Terminator either. It was much better when they would just let you walk through and get on when there was no line. Something really needs to be done about the half empty trains being sent out when the coaster has a line too.

Yeah there was literally no line. It's frustrating to have to watch the shows, and discouraged us from going back on it later. Oh well... it's a fun ride nonetheless.

Yes it is a great coaster. There was no line on Terminator on my last two visits last month either. The times it works out better is when the line is short enough that you can watch the pre-show once then re-ride without exiting. That is what happened on my last two visits. I was able to ride 3-4 times without exiting the train. It really stinks when the line is just barely long enough that you cannot get back on. If you ride again you have to watch the 11 minute pre-show then get to the station and find out there is no wait and that 11 minutes could have been 2-3 extra laps.

You guys really need to cut SFMM some slack. They spent a lot of money on the theming, money that they didnt have to spend at all and could have just slapped on some generic ride and we'd all complain about the lack of theming despite the fact that its a good ride still. So the ride operators send empty trains. What choice do they have? Their bosses say "Send a train every ___ seconds or so," and they have to. Its not like they can predict when the park will be empty and when it'll be bursting at the seems. And I'm sure SFMM isnt the only park that does this.

So you can either enjoy the theming and the preshows, or you dont have to ride at all.

^It would help if you actually read everything that has been posted so far.

Not one person here has bashed SFMM for their effort. We've all acknowledged that what they have is great, and a very nice touch for a place like SFMM that hadn't seen any sort of real attempt at a theme since Goliath...but ultimately that experience is ruined waiting an extra 30 minutes while trains go empty because of the pre-shows. Especially more so for those people who have already seen the pre-show once and just want to ride the ride!

Nobodies faulting the ride operators. People are faulting a good idea (themed pre-show) that was poorly executed, which is what causes the empty trains.

Also, they CAN predict crowds. Obviously sometimes they will be wrong, but parks have all sorts of data (previous years attendance, online sales, weather reports, knowledge of any groups/events at the park, and so on) that allow them to make pretty good predictions as to what the crowds will be.

I was also out at SFMM today celebrating not having to watch the Super Bowl. The park was more crowded than I thought it would be. The park's website said that it would close at 7pm, but the lady at the parking tollbooth informed me that it had changed to 5pm. The first parking lot was pretty full when I arrived just past noon.

X2 = 25-minute wait, two trains running. Sat in Row 7 and had a pretty decent ride.

Terminator = 20-minute wait, both trains running. Sat in Row 11 and had a nice ride. The sound was turned up extra loud, so I heard it during the entire ride. Just to reference above, at least one train had the first few rows blocked off for reasons I don't know. But I agree somewhat about the pre-shows. Timing them better would improve guest flow to the loading platform and assure filled trains.

Riddler's Revenge = 30-minute wait, one train running. I took Row 7 just because its wait was the shortest. I feel sorry for anyone who waited for the front row.

Batman = 10-minute wait, one train running. Good ride in the last row. 16 years later, Batman still kicks---and still smooth, too.

Scream! = 15-minute wait, one train running. Rode in first row, still good ol' Scream!

Goliath = 45-minute wait, two trains running. Didn't ride because the ride broke down just as I reached the second part of the stairs leading up to the station. They never did get it to run, since it was just after 5, they sent us out.

On my way out, I noticed two guys with Theme Park Review shirts on; turned out to be XII and 24. We chatted for a few, then headed out.

A fun day, chatted with some nice random people in the various lines. One girl had never ridden a coaster before---any coaster---and took her very first one on X2 in Row 7. I waited till they got back, and it turned out that she enjoyed it quite a bit.

Eric

^^^I'm sorry. I just kinda get tired of it. I know no one is bashing SFMM or the ride itself, and that sending empty trains is a problem, but there's just no use complaining about it. SFMM has a lot more important things to do right now. Maybe they'll fix this issue along the way, and maybe not. Who knows.

I'm not complaining about the theming and effort, they are both excellent. I'm expressing my opinion mostly about three rooms of pre-show, when it could be one. Oh well.. it's been discussed. Kudos for effort, too bad it just takes so long.

There were a lot of other improvements throughout the park since my October visit.

Overall, crowds were busier than I anticipated.

****Question: do a lot of you attend TPR events alone? My brother likes Six Flags, but I don't know if he would go on that many rides. And he might not be able to get work off...

I'd say the star attraction losing what I'd guess to be at least 100pph (to the point where they have to sell specific time slots on the Q-bot for it, instead of including it with the price of a gold Q-bot because its such low capacity) is a pressing issue. Especially when it can be easily fixed.

Hi im new to TPR and this is my first post, i was a SFMM today and it was more crowded than i expected, still had time to ride all the major rollercoasters though especially X2 in row #1 , overall i was disapointed when i found out the park closed at 5 instead of 7 like it said in the web site but still had fun.

I also saw a guy in a TPR shirt on when i went onto sky tower, thought it was cool since ive been a long time reader and decided to register today.

^ That is awesome! Ok, so who was at the park in a TPR shirt today? Fess up!

****Question: do a lot of you attend TPR events alone? My brother likes Six Flags, but I don't know if he would go on that many rides. And he might not be able to get work off...

Yes, quite often people will come on their own and quickly meet up with the more than welcoming group who all share the same interest. Most of the people who know and hang out with on a regular basis we met via events or other meet up on the forum.

--Robb

I did a fair bit of hunting around, but does the SFMM website have a page for ride closures or maintenance? I'm going to be back in LA from the 12th till the 23rd of Feb, so I'll be hitting the park on one of the Saturdays when I'm there, though I have no idea what will be shut (Hopefuly not Ninja of all things, since I missed that last time around)

Use this link and click on each coaster name to see which ones are currently closed. Ninja and Deja Vu are closed right now. http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/rides/ThrillRides.aspx.

Cheers mate, wouldn't have thought to do that...I must say though its a bit of a pain having to go through each individual ride...Why not have a page like this http://www.dreamworld.com.au/Rides/Maintenance/ where there is just a simple list with clear start and end dates for each ride closure?

I may well do a Saturday and Monday (Sunday is out of the question because the first train to Santa Clarita doesn't get there till after lunch (Public transport fail)

One last question, but when they brought in the Lo Q Flashpass system, did they discontinue the individual paper ones?...I sort of can't be bothered forking out $40 to rent the unit if there are only going to be one or two rides with lines long enough to warrant skipping, so if I can still buy the single use ones that would be perfect...

An interesting twist on the rumored Superman "Bizarro" remake from screamscape.

Bizarro / Superman - Rumor - (2/8/10) A reader was kind enough to point out a major flaw in the concept of transforming Superman: The Escape into having a backwards running “Bizarro” side. While I believe that the force of the launch could be handled in reverse, even with the addition of a new Over The Shoulder (OTS) restraint system if deemed necessary, the true problem lies with Superman’s emergency brake run behind the station.

Most people have not experienced this system in action, and even fewer have witnessed it from the outside since the station is clear of all guests until the train returns to the loading station, but in the rare case that Superman’s LSM powered braking system fails to stop a car that is rushing backwards into the station, the car will pass through a hanging barrier and into a section of track lined with natural earth magnets that will stop it in it’s tracks very quickly. You can see this short section of outdoor track behind the station in this aerial photo of the ride posted to Joyrides.

If a “Bizarro” car, running backwards, were to ever blast through into this emergency brake run, the riders would likely be thrown forward into their restraints (lap bars or even OTS if added) with such extreme force, that it would not only hurt, but also possibly cause serious injury.