TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It's funny you mention Knotts. I was just trying to think about which height restriction is more unbelievable. SFMM's Roller Skater at 42'' or Jaguar at 48''. It's a hard call!

I remember when Jaguar! used to have a 42" or so requirement. I know because I'd ride that since I couldn't make the 48" requirement of Montezooma right next door back when I was 5.

Hopefully SFMM will do a reverse Knott's and decrease the height limit to a more logical 36".

Did anyone see on Six Flags Twitter say that they have exciting plans for Superman: The Escape?'

Here is the question:

I have been told that @SixFlags Magic Mountain's Superman second track (track B) is being cannibalized for parts for track A. True? Or no?

Here is Six Flags answer

@Coasterdom Not true at all! We have exciting plans for Superman The Escape. Stay tuned for news!!!

2011 plans maybe?

This is what they are going to do:

They are going to tear it up (both sides) say it might be going to another park, but send it to a different one where local residents will complain about noise, slap on new magnetic brakes to silence said noise, and repaint it. It'll then be renamed Demon Drop: The Non-Cedar Point Version, and replace an old vintage carts ride.

^ I personally hope they go with something more like "the flash" it just makes so much sense. I mean Supermans a good name, but they can't reAlly theme superman like the bizarros. There's not enough space. The flash is also as obscure enough so that people do not question the story because there has not been a movie and stuff like Superman. It would be pretty cool if they kept one track as is and made one bizarro though. I don't know though, I don't really even like the ride, IMO it's a first gen intamin drop tower and a space shot combined, kind of fun, but nothing special.

Remember this Superman 'redo' is nothing new. It's been rumored for some time and was even talked about during a Q&A at one of the West Coast Bashes.

Remember they said they were working with Intamin on some stuff, and we've seen them testing paint on the ride. Not to mention if they don't get to put fire on the kiddie coaster you know they'll be itching to get fire on something!

^^^^yes, but its highly unlikely and a bad idea. Remember, the transformation of X into X2 is what started it all. Had it not been as successful as it was, Bizarro wouldnt have happened.

And with Terminator having audio and fire as well, its pointless to have a third ride with the same effects as two others.

In reality its probable that Superman returns to the top of the tower, and the ride gets new trains and LIMs to make it far more reliable.

Although, I do wonder if we could very well see the cars of Superman reach the top again as they once did.

^^Do you have any idea what you are talking about? They might as well scrap the ride and start all over if they were to go with LIM's. I would also have my doubts as to whether or not LIM's would be any more reliable under the summer heat in Valencia.

^^Do you have any idea what you are talking about? They might as well scrap the ride and start all over if they were to go with LIM's. I would also have my doubts as to whether or not LIM's would be any more reliable under the summer heat in Valencia.

I said LIMs for lack of knowledge of what is used to launch Superman...

Excuse me for making a simple mistake.

^I'd be fine if they messed with S:TE.

Demolish it for scrap metal and put in any type of new Intamin, hell, maybe even one that launches but actually has some sort of forces associated with it.

Superman never ran how it was billed and has deteriorated ever since, only new technology that costs about as much as a new GCI woodie might get it up to par. But the standard "Six Flags cardboard cutout refurbishment" would be, IMO, a huge waste of money.

I said LIMs for lack of knowledge of what is used to launch Superman...

Excuse me for making a simple mistake.

No need to be condesending to one of the site's moderators. How was Joey supposed to know you actually didn't have any clue what you were talking about. He thought you were suggesting they replace the LSMs with LIMs.

I thought the same thing. Excuse me for not being a mind reader.

--Robb "No need to give anyone attitude for your mistake." Alvey

But the standard "Six Flags cardboard cutout refurbishment" would be, IMO, a huge waste of money.

No refurbishment is a waste of money, unless seeing top notch thrill rides die way before their time is something you enjoy.

S:TE may not be the innovative record-breaker that it was when it first opened, but it's still a perfectly legitimate & very fun ride.

Some people on this site forget how spoiled they really are sometimes...

unless seeing top notch thrill rides die way before their time is something you enjoy.

I believe it's had its time, and now it needs to go. Unless watching 13 year old thrill rides fade from existence is something you enjoy.

S:TE may not be the innovative record-breaker that it was when it first opened, but it's still a perfectly legitimate & very fun ride.

I suppose you're right, its quite the family coaster SF's been looking for. I just wish it was all it could be, but it never will. Like I said, I'd much rather have a newer generation launched Intamin or Giga.

Superman may indeed change. There was a rumor late last year that a new "impressive" and "unique" coaster was coming to SFMM in 2011, and that it would be near the top of the mountain.

Superman always was a challenge for the park, so it wouldn't surprise me horribly to see them alter the ride into something more operationally budget friendly.

^ Would refurbishing a new ride warrant it new? From a roller coaster enthusiast's perspective? From the GP's perspective?

Some people on this site forget how spoiled they really are sometimes...

I don't think its wrong for people to be entitled to the opinion that adding on to Superman: The Escape would be a WASTE. I've said and a few others (in this thread).

@stuart -- Now for those who say SCREAM! is a horrible ride. I agree. I would rather see the park do something with SCREAM and Colossus before anything else in this park, including S:TE.

Wow, am I the only one who loves S:TE? Sure it's not thrilling, but it is quite fun and I enjoy it to this day. It also amazes me that the people who dislike it are the same ones saying it would be a waste to improve it. That makes no sense to me.

Personally, I'd like to see the ride converted into to a 100 mph racing coaster and call it Superman vs Bizarro.

And there is nothing wrong with Scream. It needs a good paint job. The ride itself is fine.

^I agree with you on two things:

1. It's contradicting to say S:TE sucks and say it's a waste to improve it.

I don't care for the ride. Just let it run until it can't. I don't like it, I don't ride it.

2. Scream! is not a bad ride.

Scream! isn't a horrible ride. I've just been on WAAAY better floorless coasters. However, I DO feel if people think that the ride sucks, I don't think that they're "complaining" or are "spoiled". If Scream were Dominator or Medusa (SFDK) then no one or at least less people would complain, because then the layout would produce a far more intense ride than Scream! does.