TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

And...as an added bonus, if your tweets or hatemail to the park is going unanswered, start sending some to DOSH. I'm sure they'll love to hear what the enthusiats think!

DOSH has nothing to do with this. They will only ask that the park enforce what is written in the manufacturers SOP. Which obviously shouldn't be 42", given the height requirements at other parks.

I'm happy to see Six Flags listening and communicating back with us!

Except that they really aren't communicating anything. If anything, they are just making it more confusing.

Personally I feel like the question "What is the height restriction of this coaster?" should be a fairly easy question to answer, especially since it's operated at another park and they at least had some information circulating to post to their website.

But since the question has been asked I feel we've gotten nothing but mixed signals.

- I'm told by the Director of Operations at SFMM that "no height restriction has been set."

- Moments later Six Flags Corporate says: "Yes, the posted height restriction is accurate. Safety is paramount in these decisions so we're comfortable with the 42"

- Then when asked about with or without an adult they say "I believe it's to ride period but I'm going to double check for you." (Meaning they really had no idea.)

- And finally we are told "Just met with Mr Shapiro and brought up the height restriction concerns. If anything changes, you guys will be the 1st to know."

So from that information I am to assume that the height restriction IS 42" to ride, but I'm not convinced that they are even 100% sure of this.

And to people who were saying that we are being hard on the park over this, just look at Six Flags' Twitter. There have been at least 4 or 5 industry publications including Theme Park Review, Screamscape, and the LA Times inquiring about this, so it IS a valid concern to many people.

And even more-so to Theme Park Review because we DO have a lot of families that post to this forum who would probably like to take their kids on this ride.

Bottom Line - We are excited about the addition of this coaster. But we are not happy to hear about the height restriction. We are hoping this is still just a typo because we actually DO want to see this ride succeed with families of small children, like the same model of ride does at many other parks all over the world. Yes, we are bitching, but I feel there is good reason for us to do so.

--Robb

Update!

Just spoke to Jay Thomas at Six Flags Magic Mountain - While they don't have any final information on the actual height restriction, he has told me that they are diligently working and have been working on lowering the height restriction so it will appeal to a wider audience.

Jay was a bit concerned about all the trash talking, but I told him "rest assured, as soon as we hear that you guys have pulled through and lowered that restriction, we will all be singing your praise."

Let's cross our fingers that we hear good things in the near future.

We are excited about this ride and we want it to be a success. At a 36" height restriction I can absolutely get behind this additional and recommend to our family members that they bring their kids out to ride it. Let's hope that happens.

--Robb

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how they "are diligently working on lowering the height restriction so it will appeal to a wider audience", when the EXACT ride already had a 36'' restriction at Six Flags New Orleans.

How did the ride sitting for a few years and being moved mandate a raised height restriction and now all this work to try and lower it back!?!?

Something just doesn't add up here. Deep down I feel that it was a simple mistake on the website that has been so blown up now that no one at Six Flags (Magic Mountain or Corporate) is willing to take the blame so they are just saying "we're working to lower it" when in reality it always had and will have a height restriction of 42'' alone or 36'' with an adult.

Anyone else agree?

Y'know...maybe it's me...but I would put much more stock in a direct conversation with SFMM brass over what comes out of any sort of Twitter account.

Well, when the offical company's Twitter posts this:

Just met with Mr Shapiro and brought up the height restriction concerns. If anything changes, you guys will be the 1st to know.

It's kind of hard to be all "awww, what do you know? You're just talking to Mr. Shapiro! Let me go consult with some other people..."

I have been talking directly with the park today, and so far I have yet to hear a confirmation of the 42" height restriction or that it will be any lower.

Everything has been vague... Other than Six Flags themselves has posted the information to their official website, and confirmed that information, via Mr. Shapiro, though the official Twitter.

And other outlets like the LA Times and Screamscape have also made the same inquiries and gotten similar responses.

Jay was upset about all the trash talking, but I told him "rest assured, as soon as we hear that you guys have pulled through and lowered that restriction, we will all be singing your praise."

If anything, he should be disappointed with the fact the height requirement was posted incorrectly and that there was no communication going on between anyone in corporate and the park about this.

A roller skater with a lower height requirement really makes that general area a nice family area. Sandblasters, Scrambler, Jet Stream and the roller skater for little kids...RRv and Goldrusher for bigger kids. Plus a nice sized food court/sitting area.

^ And that's what I was trying to communicate with Jay.

The only reason why we are trash talking the park is because we all WANT the park and the ride to succeed.

What frustrates me is they got all upset over our ripping them over the height restriction being posted but failed to notice that were all very supportive about the ride when it was announced just a few days before.

How often would so many people on this, or any other site, be so supportive about a kiddie coaster??? But we did support it because the park NEEDS this ride and everyone was happy about it.

But the height restriction being posted certainly turned that around.

SFMM shouldn't be upset with TPR. We support them BY FAR more than any other theme park website out there. (What are we up to now, 1.1 million views on this thread?) They should be upset that the information was posted without having gone through the proper filters.

Unless of course that information WAS accurate and now they are trying to fix it based on the negative response.

It's like I told Jay "You tell me that ride is 36" and I will absoultely support it. But at 42"? There's no way I can recommend the members of our site who have family members tall enough to ride the one at Disneyland to support this coaster."

I don't think I'm being unfair.

--Robb

It's like I told Jay "You tell me that ride is 36" and I will absoultely support it. But at 42"? There's no way I can recommend the members of our site who have family members tall enough to ride the one at Disneyland to support this coaster."

I don't think I'm being unfair.

--Robb

I don't think it's being unfair either. It's the honest truth about how we want the park to succeed. With a lower height requirement more kids would be able to ride allowing for a more enjoyable family experience. I mean that's what Six Flags is trying to do become more family friendly right??

I was curious and checked the website for SFGAM. The height requirement for Whizzer is 36'' with an adult, and that is nothing like a Vekoma Roller Skater! It's really the next step up IMO! I also noticed that a lot of the larger flat rides (like Chubasco and Fiddler's Fling) had a 36'' w/adult requirement. Again, nothing like a Vekoma Roller Skater, but still!

I'm sure management (or whoever in charge of height restrictions) will sort this out. We will just have to wait and see what the end result is, which I'm sure will make everyone happy.

This whole situation is *very* strange and I am glad TPR is bringing some attention to it. I have to wonder what would have happened if it had never been questioned.

I imagine that the manufacturer requirements don't state a height requirement if parks in Europe don't mandate one. If no MR then the intelligent solution would be to look at the comparable attractions in the area...

Maybe the design of the cars has been modified to reflect the 'dance coaster' theme and will have on board sound that has speakers right next to the average riders' ears. They can only change the design so much without cutting something. In this case, height restriction.

Random idea. Don't know if its been said or not.

OK, I know that I am probably in the minority, but can I play devil's advocate for just a sec?

If something, God Forbid, happened to a child who was under 42 inches, while on this ride, then the ones that are so disapproving of this height restriction would be singing a different tune...including you Robb. I Love TPR, and everything you guys do, and all the information that you provide to us, but the ride is not even built yet. ...and, Robb, I know you have the inside track to Jay and a host of others in the Coaster industry, but for god sakes, let them at least build the coaster first. Everyone thinks, "Oh nothing could happen" or "The Height Restriction is stupid and unnecessary", but the fact of the matter is that things DO happen. Accidents DO occur, regardless that there is the "same" coaster 60 miles away. Whether you like Six Flags or not, or think Six Flags sucks or not, I am sure that Six Flags is not imposing this restriction to intentionally piss everyone off. To not support the ride just seems unproductive to me, especially since there are kids that may be able to ride it and are GOING to ride it whether you support it or not. We weren't always tall enough to get on every ride when I was coming up, and we still had fun...we just waited until next year when we could ride. Stupid or not, there must be a reason why they put 42" as the Height to ride. ...and I say again (before I am drawn and quartered) I love TPR, the Site, the information and everything you (Robb & Elissa) do.

OK, I know that I am probably in the minority, but can I play devil's advocate for just a sec?

If something, God Forbid, happened to a child who was under 42 inches, while on this ride, then the ones that are so disapproving of this height restriction would be singing a different tune...including you Robb. I Love TPR, and everything you guys do, and all the information that you provide to us, but the ride is not even built yet. ...and, Robb, I know you have the inside track to Jay and a host of others in the Coaster industry, but for god sakes, let them at least build the coaster first. Everyone thinks, "Oh nothing could happen" or "The Height Restriction is stupid and unnecessary", but the fact of the matter is that things DO happen. Accidents DO occur, regardless that there is the "same" coaster 60 miles away. Whether you like Six Flags or not, or think Six Flags sucks or not, I am sure that Six Flags is not imposing this restriction to intentionally piss everyone off. To not support the ride just seems unproductive to me, especially since there are kids that may be able to ride it and are GOING to ride it whether you support it or not. We weren't always tall enough to get on every ride when I was coming up, and we still had fun...we just waited until next year when we could ride. Stupid or not, there must be a reason why they put 42" as the Height to ride. ...and I say again (before I am drawn and quartered) I love TPR, the Site, the information and everything you (Robb & Elissa) do.

The way I think of it is if SFMM wants to be extra careful and make sure nothing happens to someone on the ride, that's fine. But if doing so means giving a roller skater kiddie coaster a 42" height reqirement, then just don't put it in in the first place, because there's really no point.

To throw some wood into the fire, over in Australia, our only "Roller Skater" type of ride (Road Runner Roller Coaster at Movie World) has a 39" restriction for anyone to ride with an adult, and if riders want to ride by themselves, they must be 47" or taller.

I do agree though with what is being said though, it does seem pretty absurd, especially with Gadget's Go Coaster or Merlins Revenge down the road (well ok, it's a long road) having much lower minimum riding heights.

I would say you would have a valid point if it wasn't for just about every other Roller Skater in the USA and most of the other in the world have a 36" height restriction.

If it was like, 50/50 had a 36" and 42" then I'd be "ok fine, fair enough", but IMO that ride just doesn't appear to the same audience as other 42" coasters. Remember, Tower of Terror is only 40". Does it make any sense that a kid could ride Tower of Terror but not a Roller Skater? Of course not.

And your issue about safety...do you realize that Log Jammer doesn't have a height restriction AT ALL??? And that ride also does not have any restraint on it whatsoever! So technically an 18 month old baby can ride Log Jammer which is taller and faster than a Roller Skater.

I'm sure there is a reason for it, and I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Jay today discussing it (as well as other things...we don't *just* talk about kiddie coasters...only mostly) and he assures me they are working to get it lower.

I trust that they are doing so and I hope they will be able to succeed, because I want that ride to succeed at the park as well.

--Robb

Well, even though the height requirement does sound ridiculous, I'm not going to pass judgment yet until I hear SFMM's side of the story. Granted, its not fair for anyone here on TPR who loves Magic Mountain and has a kid and was hopeful for this new ride, and maybe SFMM did overreact by thinking Robb was calling for a boycott when he wasnt.

But dont you think we may have also overreacted a little? Shapiro has a lot more to worry about than some kiddie coaster's height requirement. He could have very well just told the person who monitors the company's twitter "Just tell them its 42' at the moment" or "I'll get back to that question as soon as I can." Same with Jay.

I'm not condoning anyone here on TPR for their reaction, frankly, because I dont have a kid. I think we just need to let Jay handle it and move on to other things. Like what we can expect for Scream and Collosus concerning what the management team has planned for them.

Robb, is there anything you guys talked about concerning next year that can be divulged? I'd certainly like to know if the former animal farm will be used for a Thomas Town expansion.

Robb, is there anything you guys talked about concerning next year that can be divulged? I'd certainly like to know if the former animal farm will be used for a Thomas Town expansion.

No sorry. To be honest the kiddie coaster and the height restriction was only a part of the coversation. Sometimes it's nice to talk to people about "normal life stuff" too...not just about "work!"

--Robb